[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 201 KB, 1024x610, Saturn_V_launches+destinations.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6492891 No.6492891[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

What would be the cost of a rocket (just the rocket, no load) that can go to Venus, Jupiter and Neptune respectively within a reasonable timeframe (10-15 years)?

>> No.6492919

About tree fiddy

>> No.6493196

$3.50

>> No.6493211

>>6492919
>>6493196
never fails

>> No.6494421

>>6493211

No, I'd say the thread is a complete failure.

>> No.6494452

>>6492891
I'm really concerned about you OP. Rockets don't "go" anywhere other than into LEO. Half of your delta-v goes into getting off of Earth's surface, and the other half into getting out of its orbit, but once you're there you hardly need any propulsion at all (possibly even none if you're really good).
Just design a Hohmann orbit that visits the planets you want and get your craft into space on any commercial rocket, the size and cost of which depends entirely on the mass of your payload (which is why your question is absurd and betrays that you've probably never even seen a rocket launch).

>> No.6494466

>>6494452
>I'm really concerned about you OP.

I have very little understanding on how interplanetary voyages work. I admit my ignorance.

>Just design a Hohmann orbi

I'll look it up, thanks for the reply.

>> No.6494502

>>6494466
>I have very little understanding on how interplanetary voyages work.
Think of it this way. Once you escape Earth, you are automatically already orbiting the sun. Everything we might want to visit with a spacecraft (other than the moon, which orbits the earth so it's a similar problem--you just don't totally "escape" the earth's orbit) already orbits the sun, so there is no need to "escape" the sun at this point, just slowly change the radius of your orbit by accelerating or decelerating to a particular speed (every speed is a different orbital distance) that matches the planet you want to visit. Time it correctly so that you encounter the planet rather than just cruising past its orbit while it's somewhere else--that's why space launches such as to mars usually have "launch windows" within which they must be completed. Control your speed at the encounter such that you enter into orbit around the planet (or whatever). You can design Hohmann orbits that visit many different bodies, never staying in orbit around any one for very long, but slingshotting around them once or twice (in order to gain or lose speed) and then settling into the next orbit proscribed by that speed.

Voyager 2 visited each of Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune this way.

>> No.6495909

>>6494452
>>6494502
This is pretty ignorant for such an arrogantly-presented claim.

Voyager 1 was accelerated to about 20 km/s on its way out of Earth orbit. On top of reaching escape velocity from Earth, that's almost enough to reach Earth orbit from the ground again.

The sun's gravity well is deep, and transfers between solar orbits as distantly separated as Earth and Jupiter are expensive.

Also, "proscribed" means forbidden.

>> No.6495952
File: 116 KB, 1464x2060, SqdzxzF.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Add numbers along the path to get the delta v you need. If the planets are aligned properly, you can use gravity assists to save some delta v. The cost of your rocket will be roughly proportional to the exponent of delta v you need.

>> No.6497075
File: 285 KB, 852x1382, vehi 2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6494452
You are just an asshole, like so many others here on /sci/.

>>6492891
That question is not easily answered, since it is very important how much mass you want to transport to what destination.

Let's say you want to send something to Jupiter.
First you have to get your payload into a low earth orbit, wich requires a speed of about 8 km/s. (plus maybe 1.5 km/s more to overcome atmostpheric drag and maneuvering)
Then you have to overcome Earths escape velocity and the difference in orbital speeds and heights between
Earths 30km/s, 150.000.000km orbit and
Jupiters 13km/s, 800.000.000km orbit around the sun.
This requires at least another 6.5 km/s change in speed.

So, in total you would have to design a rocket, that is able to accelerate it's payload to around 16km/s to 18km/s, starting from the launch pad on.
These are very rough numbers, but it should give you an Idea.

Now use the List in the picture to estimate what such a rocket would cost!

>> No.6497762

>>6497075

Alright, so let's say I want to send the Venus Express to Triton.

>Venus Express - 1270 kg
Now I'm not sure how many of those are commercially available ( Long March looks sweet as hell, but I don't know if the Chinese are willing to sell), so let's use Soyuz.

Satellite excluded, that's about 13 500 000 USD base cost + 1270*5357 (6 803 390) , so 20 303 390 USD to get it to LEO.

Now the rocket is designed for 2000 kg, so using fuel conservation it may be able to push the satellite a little further and proper it at a higher speed.

After that I assume the Satelite will need a booster of it's own, so that'd probably go to the cost the satellite.

Btw, does NASA, ESA or someone like that sell their "planetary exploration" (equipment used on stuff like Cassini, Venus Express, etc.) equipment?

>> No.6497824

>>6497762
>Satellite excluded, that's about 13 500 000 USD base cost + 1270*5357 (6 803 390) , so 20 303 390 USD to get it to LEO.

This should actually be off, as a Falcon 9 costs 56M$ and the Russians are charging 70M$ for a seat per U.S. cosmonaut.

>> No.6497855

>>6497824
Passenger launches are more expensive, and what the Russians are charging the Americans is a pure rip-off. IIRC, SpaceX has quoted a manned Falcon 9 launch with a Dragon capsule at $140 million.

That's $20 million/passenger, if they're all crammed in like sardines (the passenger version of Dragon is planned to be a 7-seater). That's what Dennis Tito paid for a ride on Soyuz (which is a 3-seater).

Falcon 9 is generally a pretty cheap option, though. Their pricing is very competitive.

>> No.6498630

>>6497855
It don't fit 7 when you include a toilet, which the soyuz has. Ever been stuck in a walk in closet for three days with 7 other people and no toilet because I have not a pleasant experience.

Soyuz also has its own airlock. Pretty fancy little booger they have there. Could easily launch 6 but can only return 3 who wants to stay in space lol.