[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 1.35 MB, 2560x1920, 2014-03-07 20.36.41.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6490126 No.6490126[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

so, /sci/, why is my red hot electric stove purple on my CCD camera?

>> No.6490154

>>6490126
the CCD is more sensitive to the color spectrum than your eyes. the human eye is not sensitive to all colors equally. There are filters put on CCD cameras so that the infra-red range is lessened so the picture is more like what the human eye sees. In this case the infra-red output is overpowering the filter somewhat.

>> No.6490168

>>6490154
That is absolutely NOT what is happening. CCD sensors based on CMOS technology are sensitive to the infrared region of the spectrum and they show IR radiation as a purple colour. It even works with tv remote controls, point one at your camera sensor and press any button, you'll see. So long as it doesnt have an IR filter attached.

>> No.6490172

>>6490168
IR looks light green on my ~decade-old camera

>> No.6490178

>>6490168
It does have an infrared filter attached. It's called "glass" or "plastic." Of course you can't perfectly block a wavelength so OP is likely seeing infrared portion that is extremely close to visible red.

>> No.6490181

So does this mean a regular camera can with little tweak take photos of IR light?

>> No.6490183

>>6490181
yes

>> No.6490185

>>6490181
If by "little tweak" you mean "removing the glass in front of the sensor," then yes. Most glass blocks most IR, especially glass made for taking normal pictures.

>> No.6490508

>>6490178
>It's called "glass" or "plastic."
LOL. Thanks for this. Obviously correct.

>> No.6490514

>>6490154
>the CCD is more sensitive to the color spectrum than your eyes. the human eye is not sensitive to all colors equally

maximum trolling

>> No.6490540
File: 509 KB, 1200x800, IMG_4220.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

hello from /p/.
Most digital cameras come equipped with a glass filter pancaked on top of the ccd/cmos sensor which blocks IR and UV light, the sensor itself is sensitive to more than visible light, especially in the near infrared region. However they aren't perfect and some cameras let through more IR than others. The bayer color filters on top of the photosites (pixels) don't all block IR either so that's why you're getting IR light showing up in the blue color channel as opposed to the red one where you might expect it.
Some cameras that have a weaker IR/UV filter you can use for near infrared photography by placing a filter in front of the lens that blocks visible light (pic related, false color R/B channels swapped). However due to the strength of the IR blocking filter this requires long exposures, usually several seconds in bright sunlight.
If you modify the camera and remove the IR/UV filter you can take full spectrum images (or the entire spectrum which the camera supports, popular with astrophotographers) or just put various filters on the lens to take UV or near infrared photos without the need for long exposures. Just go on flickr and search for infra red and you'll be bombarded with examples. Canon sells a modified version of the EOS 60D camera with the IR filter removed aimed for astrophotographers.

>> No.6490542

>>6490126
Wow such cool so colour

>> No.6490821

>>6490126
>>6490154
>cameras so that the infra-red range is lessened so the picture is more like what the human eye sees. In this case the infra-red output is overpowering the filter somewhat.
>>6490168
>CCD sensors based on CMOS technology are sensitive to the infrared region of the spectrum

I concur.
>>6490540
>The bayer color filters on top of the photosites (pixels) don't all block IR either so that's why you're getting IR light showing up in the blue color channel as opposed to the red one where you might expect it.
best explanation by far, much appreciated anon

>> No.6490942

>CCD sensors based on CMOS technology

I don't think they exist. Why would you use the CCD principle when you can address pixels directly? All silicon-based sensors are 'naturally' sensitive to IR light.

>> No.6490962
File: 48 KB, 711x453, Canon_40D_Response_CurveB.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6490126
I am an absolute ginious on this subject. Like one of the four smartest persons abou it in the whole worled.

The reason your fire sircle thing looks perple is because the camera sensors for red and blue both pick up on infra read as though they where red and blue also green a little two. This is what makes it look perple.

>>6490540
This guys camera is for pedophila, if you use it at swim parks and beaches it makes childres swimsuits invisible so you can see them like they are naked. Because pigments are only tested with visible lights lites and human eyes normaly and quite oftehn the deeper infra reads are not tested at all and are invisible. Like a gargbige bag is invisible and clear in infra read so are childres swim suits.

I told you I aws the smartest about this stuff. Its because there are not many people as smart as me about it because im so smart.

>> No.6490977

>>6490185
>>6490508
No no no no no no no no no no

Most glass and plastic dont filter the infra red but they are sometimes quite bad at passing it with optical clarity. There is an actual ir/uv filter in virtually all cameras. This is sometimes a film applied to a lense but the lens itself is not the filter.

I know this because of how smart I am also you can watch youtubes about removing the filter but I did not watch because I am too snart for it to do me any good to see it so i dont.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7sTubWpS40

>> No.6490982

>>6490154
>infrared is overpowering the filters and making it look not red
>more red is makign it look less red
did you ever stop and read what you post or do you just shit it out on the screen?

>> No.6491013

>>6490982
Did you even look at my graph? I dont think you are smart. It's not the intisity that makes it look perple its the color. Infra red is quite a bit deeper red than visible red. At those ranges of infra red the blue sensors see it and think its blue as well as the red sensors eeing it. This is what makes it look perple. The green also sees it a little too which helps the brightness be bright. And yes it does need to go throught the filter in enough power to be comparable to the intisity of the visible light or the cameara wont register it much and the infra red light will have an oftehn un noticable effect because like maybe 93% is filtered out so it has to be realy bright infraread source to get registered. Please be more smart and read graphs its not hard.

>> No.6491035
File: 51 KB, 550x421, that-might-just-be-crazy-enough-to-be-potato.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6490962
>I am an absolute ginious on this subject. Like one of the four smartest persons abou it in the whole worled.
>The reason your fire sircle thing looks perple is because the camera sensors for red and blue both pick up on infra read as though they where red and blue also green a little two. This is what makes it look perple.

spelling… jesus.

>> No.6491055

>>6490181
Of near IR light, yes.

Don't expect it to turn into a full-blown thermal camera, though.

>> No.6491079

Video cameras use the near IR sensitivity for their nightvision modes if they have such a feature, couppled with an on camera IR lamp. Because the light is so close to the optical axis of the lens it reflects from the back of peoples retinas and give a glowing eyes effect. Same as the red-eye effect that can happen with on camera flash.

>> No.6491113

>>6491035
it is wronog to make fun of people with trisomi 21 or mosaic trisomi 21

You are bad. We talk diffrently because our toungs are bigger not because we are stupid like you.

>> No.6491152

>>6491113
>We talk diffrently because our toungs are bigger

You lack few genes dude.

>> No.6492345

so, the overall consensus is filters

>muh filters
>muh filters
>muh filters

>> No.6493305

>>6490962
>This guys camera is for pedophila, if you use it at swim parks and beaches it makes childres swimsuits invisible so you can see them like they are naked. Because pigments are only tested with visible lights lites and human eyes normaly and quite oftehn the deeper infra reads are not tested at all and are invisible. Like a gargbige bag is invisible and clear in infra read so are childres swim suits.
Wow that's true. Noice.
http://www.komonews.com/news/problemsolvers/94802064.html?tab=video&c=y

>> No.6493387

>>6490962
Ladies and gentlemen I present to you the next Nobel Prize winner

>> No.6493394

>>6491152
No you lack genes. Trisomy is more genes, not less.