[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 76 KB, 576x781, 20111023.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6485170 No.6485170 [Reply] [Original]

Hey, /sci/, I'm thinking of studying Maths as an Undergraduate course and I've been looking for advice and just things that'd get me to generally know more about maths. Sadly, I've ran into a bit of a problem and was hoping /sci/ would help.

It seems that reading about maths online is like browsing Wikipedia, you'll start on something sensible and human like 'Solving Cubic Equations' and then you'll end up on 'Quaternions', worse still, being someone who's barely educated to College level (and still going through a course for mature students), you end up in situations where the only way to be able to read the notation about a subject you want to learn more about would be to already known most of the subject. I've got to the point where I spend most of my time just reading Ian Stewart (From Here to Infinity has been pretty good so far :) ) and just generally wondering what century I'm mentally stuck in.

tl;dr, for someone who's trying to learn maths, how would /sci/ recommend doing it? So far I've been just reading things that are barely above layman's terms and am almost at the point of getting a timeline of maths and then trying to figure out what century I'm stuck in so I can chronologically work my way out of it :( .

>> No.6485205

look at college course listings, look at book lists. order them online or find a pdf. look at the sequence of courses in math programs, and structure your studying accordingly.

khan academy is great for intro/low level maths. mit open courses are good for lecture notes and problem sets.

at the end of the day, maths are difficult. the only way to learn is consistent focused studying. the more of this you do, the better you get.

>> No.6485209

>>6485205
if you have had some calculus, "basic training in mathematics" by shankar is a good place to start.

>> No.6485222

"Mathematics Its Content Methods and Meaning"

>> No.6485337

the sticky