[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 178 KB, 1024x1024, 1330342394416.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6399348 No.6399348 [Reply] [Original]

Fact 1: Mirrors repel light.
Fact 2: Light cannot escape a black hole.

Question:
What would happen if we (hypothetically) covered the surface of a black hole with mirrors?
Which force would be stronger? The pull of the black hole or the repulsion by the mirrors?

>> No.6399352

Mirrors dont reflect 100% of the light so black hole wins. many more reasons

>> No.6399355

SO basically the black hole would pull the light through the mirror!

>> No.6399364

Why does /sci/ always consistently get these stoner retard threads a couple times per week?

>> No.6399366

>>6399348
>Fact 1: Mirrors repel light.
no

>Fact 2: Light cannot escape a black hole.

ok

>What would happen if we (hypothetically) covered the surface of a black hole with mirrors?

Fact 3: you can't hold a mirror on the event horizon. It will fall inside.

>> No.6399368

and what if you use a sphere made out of two way mirrors at just the right distance. The black whole also causes light to overshoot because of the gravitational pull. Wat will happen with all the light in the sphere. Will the black hole be able to pull the light in at a faster rate?

>> No.6399372

>>6399364
Whoa dude, you need to open up and expand your horizons

>> No.6399374

>>6399366
but would a mirror fall faster than light inside a black hole?

>> No.6399383

>>6399348
could a black hole escape a black hole?

>> No.6399382

>>6399348
>Mirrors get sucked in and crushed by super-gravity around the black hole.
>Light gets captured by black hole.
Alternately if the mirror shield is in orbit around the black hole.
>Light gets reflected by mirror.
>Either something eventually smashes into one of the mirrors and breaks its orbit or the hawking radiation pushes one or more of the mirrors out of orbit.
Black holes always win.

>> No.6399384
File: 1.56 MB, 320x165, it is ogre.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6399364
because the second some asshole from another board gets one of these thoughts they come here to try and talk about it

always notice that the people who don't post here on a typical basis always try to punctuate and spell with much greater accuracy. A lot of the time, they will even admit to not being very intelligent because they're intimidated. They want to save their ego in the likelihood that /sci/ will tell them they're retarded.

also; /sci/ gets raided a lot. Not sure why.

>> No.6399391

>>6399374
in relation to what? Velocity of distant objects is in general not defined in curved spacetime. In an inertial reference frame on the horizon, the mirror is moving always slower than light. Note that incoming light reflected from this mirror in the moment it passes the horizon will hover on the horizon forever for an external observer.

>> No.6399395

>>6399364
personally i think they're a fun diversion from the eternal barnett/consciousness/racial iq threads

stupid threads like these are half the fun of /sci/

>> No.6399398

>>6399364
Because one dedicated troll posts them all using the same set of images like that fucking raven.

>> No.6399413

>>6399364
this is the kind of shit Einstein was thinking about in later years.
It's not the plausibility of the specifics, but the exploration of the underlying concept that matters.
lrn2generateabstractions

>> No.6399509

Reminds me of an experiment I have wanted to do.

Suppose I had 6 squares of 2way mirror, and formed them into a cube in such a way as the mirror was on the inside, and the see through was on the outside.

If you shined a lazer into the cube will it glow forever?
A: The light will increase in wavelength until it is no longer visible.
Also some of the light escapes.
It will not glow forever.

I thought this up when I was a kid, and still would like to try it, although I now know it will not produce the desired effect.