[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 686 KB, 2000x787, tll.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6387448 No.6387448[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

A great deal of effort has been put into creating alternative energy sources to Nuclear energy, but I have a question that focuses on an even more base matter.

Is it possible that there may be a viable energy alternative to... electricity itself?

>> No.6387464

I mean, for some applications.

Solar water heaters, solar ovens, gas heaters. These use means other than electricity to generate heat. I assume solar water heaters is more in line with what you're thinking of, i.e. non-fossil fuel-based, alternative energy. Windmills/watermills (to run machines directly instead of generating electricity).

>> No.6387465

>>6387448
heat and using water with potential energy.
Neither has the utility that electricity does though.

>> No.6387470

As to current technology there's no viable energy alternative.

>> No.6387473

I breathe on my hands to make them warmer. Why don't we just breathe on stuff.

>> No.6387475

noble metal catalyst + low molecular weight petroleum fraction == electricity + heat

eg: residential combined heat and electricity fuel cell

>2014
>there are people alive today who don't own a Panasonic 10 kilowatt combined heat and power generating fuel cell that is powered by natural gas that is cheap due to fracking

>> No.6388718

Ideally in the next couple years small molecule activation (CO2 catalaysis, H2 from water) will be at a point that photochemical cells (please note: this a VASTLY different technology than Si-based photovoltaics, which is currently what people think of as solar energy (solar panals) which are not and will not every be economically viable) are cheap and efficient enough that we can start using those to recycle CO2 and produce energy to make up the defecit of energy loss from diminishing fossil fuels. Contrary to popular belief, there will almost certainly never be another source of energy as widespread as universal as fossil fuels and there will be nothing to replace that infrastcuture. All we can do is draw from multiple sources of renewable and alternative energies.

>> No.6388887

>>6388718
>contrary to popular belief
Except that's fucking wrong. You're just talking out of your ass and stating it as a fact. People were saying the same thing about wood when we first crawled out of caves, and whalefat before that.

>> No.6389415

OP here: I asked this question because I believe that the constant fight for fossil fuels has a great deal to with the need for electricity, and because that fight for fossil fuels is damaging tthe earth the need for electricity is, by extension, damaging the earth.

Rather than focusing on the fossil fuels i decided to deal with the more prominent issue of energy. So theres no known alternative power source to electricity? Or at least nothing as multi use?

In that case we cannot escape the requirement for electricity - it only makes sense that we avoid damage by creating highly economical and highly ecologically friendly alternatives. I reckon tidal power is by far and away the easiest source of power to harvest. Its essentially constant free movement. My God what are we thinking. Why isnt there a lot more cash being put into tidal power?

>> No.6389418

How good would fibre optics be for alternative mediums of energy transport?