[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 1.94 MB, 326x252, 1311243050805.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6382095 No.6382095[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PileBunker

Will this work as a weapon? Could a trooper use such a device to punch through a tank?

Or will Newton kick his ass?

>> No.6382292

getting next to a tank isn't a great idea, the things are usually accompanied by infantry, or big guns.

Apart from that there are ATGM's that can do the same.. so, why make something that needs 'DRIVE ME CLOSER SO I CAN HIT THEM WITH MY SWORD' ?

>> No.6383968

>>6382292
It's just fun to think about. I wondered of the advantadge of firing a penetrator rod at point blank to have more mass behind it (higher velocity not withstanding).

>> No.6383991

The only advantage this would have is to give infantry the power to penetrate armor from extremely close range, in which case the infantryman would likely be dead shortly after he discharges his weapon.
Given that infantry sometimes do have weapons capable of punching through most armor, I would say the necessity for such a weapon isn't there.

>> No.6384000

>>6382095
You're basically asking if I could penetrate a tank by throwing a solid metal object at it. The answer is probably yes, if the metal object has sufficient momentum. On the other hand, you would never be able to fire such an object by hand, since that you net you the same momentum in the opposite direction.

>> No.6384075

>>6384000
great hit'n'run strategy if you ask me

>> No.6384079

So... it's like a captive-bolt pistol for euthanizing tanks?