[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 709 KB, 160x160, tumblr_mytdh41SUd1qizapro6_250.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6355101 No.6355101[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

ITT post your academic degrees - only STEM and psychology - and how your science knowledge affected the quality of your everyday life; have you started seeing, what you didn't see before, discovered some so-called lifehacks, etc. What is the potential of your specialty in aiding with making logical conclusions, be it deductions, educated guesses or high probability guesses/ How do you see the reward/punishment ratio of realisation of your knowledge in the most profitable way you can see, e.g. manufacturing and distributing narcotics/

>> No.6355123

>academic degrees
ChemE
currently busy with pure math

>how your science knowledge affected the quality of your everyday life
if you can list them all in a post, your not using your knowledge enough. but ill list a few

>do rust-cost-benifit analyses on everything i buy or do.
>much better cooking due to accurate measurements and compensating for variations in densities due to temperatures and changes due to pressure that's different at my home and at ma parents.
>knowledge of probability and statistics influences a lot of everyday decisions
>optimizing my house by seeing it in the same way as a plant, allowing me to see the effect of changes of flows such as laudery or cooking ingredients, along with calculating optimum stockpiles/buffer zones.

>> No.6355144

i see a parabola when i'm taking a piss.

>> No.6355152

>>6355101
>only STEM and psychology

STEM is Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics
Psychology is a Science, so why have you listed it separately?

>> No.6355161

>>6355152
>Psychology is a Science, so why have you listed it separately?
A -> B
thus
~B -> ~A

>> No.6355173

>>6355101
Biochemistry

I know what the ingredients in stuff look like and have an idea of what they might do

>> No.6355266

My major is Applied Mathematics and I am doubling up with Electrical Engineering. In hopes to either go into Bio medical Engineering/ or Nano Engineering (Gotta love working with the smaller things [no pun necessary]. The relevance of my Math major is to help me numerically understand everything that I can in this world. The Electrical Engineering, Well I am going to focus on Power Systems because I feel like making more efficient power systems now days will help everyone and I mean everyone.

By the way my roommate is a Physical Therapy major, and not to rub salt on your psychology wound but I do feel as if Physical Therapy> Psychology (unless its brain-psychology or dealing with the biological/chemical processes with your brain/body).Sorry mate there is a reason that Psychology typically is not within the schools of Science and or Engineering at Universities. Its a pseudoscience degree, it imitates one but lacks the abstract depth to be called one. I pair it up with Sociology and Liberal Arts (Although its a bit higher)
Anyways Good day fags~ May the true Science majors enjoy their schooling/Careers/studies!

>> No.6355308

>>6355266
>I do feel as if Physical Therapy> Psychology
I'm sorry, but science is not about how you feel. In which way does PT outscience psychology/

>> No.6355348 [DELETED] 

>>6355266
> Physical trainer > Psychologist/Psychiatrist.

Righttttt

BSc Pharmaceutical and Medicinal Chemistry
Currently
MRes Pharmaceutical Analysis.
useful when buying medicine.

>> No.6355428

PT uses a lot of anatomy, and physiology in its lower division, and requires a basic understanding of physics and chemistry as well. Although they do not have to use calculus or Organic Chemistry, 2nd Semester chemistry,etc. Their science load that is typically intertwined within their major requires the basics of it. The degree Itself I believe is called Kinesiology, but Physical Therapy is an option in the major. Which is the hardest emphasis in the major. It list everything I mentioned above. I think you are misunderstanding what a physical therapist does and there seems to be some confusion between a PT and a PE teacher/Personal trainer on your end.
If you compare the curriculum between a PT and a Psychologist the PT will have a lot more science based classes as well as a lot more computational work/calculations as well. It's ok man, as far as I am concerned PT and Psychologist are in the same category. As a pseudoscience, and I respect them equally as such. But to call it a science and stand among the other science giants (Math, chemistry, Biology, Physics!, Engineering,etc) would be too much.

>> No.6355471

>>6355428
Pseudoscience is the kind that metaphysics belongs to, but neither pt nor psychology are pseudo-, they are simply not sciences. Thing I disagree with however is that PT is better or even equal to psychology. The measure of how close something is to a real science is how much results does it get. What have learned from pt/ Nothing. Psychology on the other hand gave us great stuff, such as basic principles of work of conscious and unconscious mind and memory, including cognitive biases, understanding of emotions and their expressions was a great relatively modern break. And that's excluding neuropsychology, which is by all means science and doesn't stop to give us fascinating results. That's some useful stuff right there. Physical therapy on the other hand... It's simply a set of methods that have nothing to do with creating and testing theories. Also maths is not a science and engineering is simply subset of applied physics.

>> No.6355551
File: 23 KB, 740x308, sEevZ.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How can you say math is not a science? But Psychology is hahaha. Man mathematics is purest science can possibly be. With nothing before it, without mathematics there would be no chemistry,physics,etc. Without understanding numbers and its properties,it would be difficult to do almost anything. This is how I know you are one of those psychology students who wondered over to /sci/ because you felt disappointed in your major, and came to represent it on this board. Sorry mate, mathematics lies within the school of science and Engineering(Typically). Whereas, Psychology does not.
I can also see that you probably didn't take too many math classes and are one of those people who see it and are like "What is so difficult/interesting about that?" But in reality have no idea, you probably are trying to front that thing you call your intelligence, because it is something you may not be able to comprehend at the moment.
I came to an agreement, and I will take responsibility for my error.
PT<Psychology Sure (Even though physical Therapist are just as important as psychologist, as far as rehabilitation goes.
Although the core degree it comes from Kineseology, that of course 10x more science driven than your average psychology degree. It is almost a medical degree in that aspect. Kineseology with a BS >PsychologyB.S> Psychology B.A
However, Kineseology M.S/Physical Therapy M.S=Psychology M.S Degree with equal importance.
Sorry did I use too much math in the example above.

Also Engineering is using the concepts of physics and applying them to real life. That is a scientist right there. Test, evaluating the experiment,designing. Without an engineer Physics, Mathematics,etc would just be a philosophy. You also don't need to have an engineering degree to be an engineer. It's the mindset of engineering combining concepts to real life examples that makes you an engineering. The picture attached describes a really good example of the fields.

>> No.6355563

A Better link actually
http://xkcd.com/435/
I respect psychology enough to let one through my front door without questioning why he/she majored in it. However, I wouldn't invite them to the Science after party I would have in the kitchen. They would have to stay in the living room and watch reality TV shows and dramas.

>> No.6355630

>>6355551
Maths is but a set of tools,
the methods to create a science
but science it is not per se
for deals it only with abstraction.
>That is a scientist right there. Test, evaluating the experiment,designing.
If I was to construct a dildo and then test if it works as I predicted, that wouldn't be science. Science consists of acquiring new knowledge, creating theories and testing theories. Engineers do none of that, and so it's not a science. Why do you think it's STEM and not ST - because engineering and maths are separate from science activities.
>You also don't need to have an engineering degree to be an engineer. It's the mindset of engineering combining concepts to real life examples that makes you an engineering
If you're joking, you're doing a great job. I mean it would sound more simple mindish only if you added, that engineering is a way of life, engineering is art, engineering is in our souls.
I'm afraid you are way too emotionally attached to your specialties, mate.

>> No.6355759
File: 140 KB, 400x545, Win.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Math is a bit more than just tools, there are things in mathematics that naturally model things in nature, and in human life and interaction. Back in the day theorems and principles were created without quite understanding what it was used for. People did it because there was something interesting about analyzing numbers,sequences, functions,etc. These things became the basics of later understanding and modeling life.

Honestly, I am more interested in people, than I am with numbers however I happen to be good at both, and math and engineering is more practical in now days society. So being attached to my specialties isn't quite it.

By the way if you were to take a dildo and test it, actually it would be a science. It would be "useless" but it would be considered the science of dildos. Totally can be possible,which could contain possible subsets of chemistry, bio,engineering,etc within it. so yes it can be considered a science. If you were to apply to a university that would let you develop your own curriculum for your own degree, you could get a degree in Dildo-ology. lool totally possible.

I guess i could understand what you were talking about.
I mean anyone can do engineering. Like, if your table is broken you could probably just fix it, or put a piece of wood at the end of one leg to balance it out. Is it engineering ? Yes, why yes it is. Is it sophisticated engineering ? Maybe to a monkey, but to people no its not.

Like I was saying, I love both people and Math,chem,bio,engineering,etc. I honestly wanted to just spark an intellectual argument with some people to see some different opinions.

>> No.6355794

>>6355759
>By the way if you were to take a dildo and test it, actually it would be a science. It would be "useless"
Useless science, are you kidding? Science by definition is useful. When you, say, write a scientific article you do science, because you give some knew knowledge or a theory. Most of articles, of course, are of low usefulness, but they are useful none the less. New knowledge is new knowledge and falsified theories help us see wrong directions to move in. Testing whether something based on already familiar technology works brings nothing new and thus called engineering.

>> No.6356161

Somebody sounds butt hurt....

>> No.6356214
File: 412 KB, 572x465, 1388894731827.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>engineering
>any year

http://spectrum.ieee.org/at-work/education/the-stem-crisis-is-a-myth

Why would any American college student want to major in engineering? They saw what happened to their engineer parents, overworked, underpaid, having to constantly upgrade their skills on on their own time and expense, only to be made to train their Indian replacement and then fired as soon as a few grey hairs show up.

Americans may be stupid, but they're not that stupid.

>> No.6356226

uhhh

i have an associates degree in "science" lol

>> No.6356249

Applied math.

>> No.6356263
File: 85 KB, 635x510, pressure.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Physics BSc

Now work with big data. Tbh I don't use my actual physics knowledge much except explaining cool shit to people (usually about space or atoms).

My degree was more helpful in learning skills. Analysis, problem solving (I took a module which was really abstract questions and back of the envelope calculations - pic related), handling data sets. These skills help IRL but not in terms of weighing up probabilities IMO. Hindsight is still 20/20. You just look at things in a more logical way.

>> No.6356599

>>6356263
No, it wouldn't. Elementary

>> No.6356607
File: 7 KB, 251x220, 1349018342796.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6355101
>only STEM and psychology
>psychology

>>6355152
>Psychology is a Science

>> No.6356680

bump

>> No.6356778

>>6355101
Working on a Biochemistry BsC and a Food Science minor. I make my own pre-work out supplements in my kitchen, I incorporate things like casein into things like pancakes to change the texture and nutrient content, I rage constantly when people try to correct me on anything related to food/fitness/drugs. I talk nonstop about breaking bad, drugs, and organic chemistry to people, which sometimes annoys/scares them. I'd like to get a masters in medicinal chemistry, a PhD in food chemistry, start up my own supplement company, then "retire" very early.

>> No.6356781

BA Genetics

I get into arguments on /sci/ with people who don't understand epigentics, gene therapy and race

>> No.6356798

>>6356778
So how do you see reward/punishment ratio of, say, cooking and distributing popular in area narcotic?

>> No.6356808

>>6356798
Very low. Getting the necessary chemicals, instruments, etc. to make such a venture profitable is too much work IMO. Making meth isn't difficult, fucking meth heads do it all the time. But to make consistent profit? not worth the risk. Now steroids have a much nicer ratio IMO. All you do is buy bulk powders and dissolve them in oils (esters). Of course you'd want filter the shit out, and some lab grade equipment is required (fume hood, sterile environment, lots of disposable filters) but still, much easier to do. I'd love to get involved in the medical marijuana industry in my spare time (open a dispensary, make products such as BHO/cooking oils/foods), but we'll see how much time I have.

>> No.6356813

>>6356214
im so glad im not American.

>> No.6356818

>be psych major
>do cognitive and neuropsych

It is science, and a good one at that.

Some of you are so delusional, its almost as though, let me use a basic psychology term here, you're projecting.

>> No.6356851

>>6356781
>BA
u wot

>> No.6356860
File: 1.73 MB, 320x240, 1360125714300.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6355152
>Psychology is a Science

>> No.6356900

>>6356818
You do realise you know nothing at all, right? Anyone who studied psychology by himself, reading books, instead of bullshit you have at uni, knows a lot more.

>> No.6356956

>>6356860
It's borderline, I'll admit. It is, however, the best out of the social sciences.

>> No.6356959

>>6356851

Just means he took extra non-major classes. That's how my school was. The only BS majors were the external engineering programs, I think.

>> No.6356983

I actually got a BA (lol) in Psychology in addition to Linguistics (and two language minors). All of it was a fucking joke. I was interested in language acquisition and wanted to go into research to improve second language teaching methods. I couldn't even find a part-time minimum wage job. The sad thing is I started uni taking honors bio classes.

Went back to school and hard science and am starting a medical grad program in a year. Current major is Physiology to give it a title.

How has it affected my quality of life? I was a very rational kid in high school (taking all dat AP science and math shit) and turned into a completely irrational, stereotypical female in college when I studied bullshit liberal arts. There's not much else to say about STEM majors other than that they're truthful and useful to society. They exercise your mind and keep you thinking critically. You have something better than interpersonal drama or greed to occupy your mind.

>> No.6357068 [DELETED] 

>>6356983
If you were rational you wouldn't go for psychology to begin with. Typical intellectually mediocre female. This work on the optimising second language learning process is of zero usefulness, carpenters are more useful, they at least do mechanical work. Why would you ever go into linguistics? Stupid cunts never stop to disappoint me with their zero ambition and logical reasoning. It's like you don't realise you now have left 30-40 years at best and then it's done, no extra chances. At least marry some rich guy and enjoy the life you have left without any jobs.

>> No.6357108

>>6357068
Oh fuck you, I started off in a very selective science program as well as the honors college at a large university. I was offered free tuition to study linguistics, so obviously I did it. I'm a poorfag and it was really my only way to get through college. I knew psychology was a shit degree but wanted more than just the linguistics. An adviser recommended it. Fuck me for making a bad choice because I was offered a free $100,000 to do it.

Like I said, I'm back where I belong now. Yeah I'm real intellectually mediocre for having a 4.0 science GPA and getting accepted to graduate school for a career that pays 100k+ a year. What are you doing that's so great? What's your degree? What's your career? All you can do is shit on someone's stream of consciousness on an anonymous anime board.

>> No.6357125

Finishing up my Bio BS soon.

It's affected me by making me depressed that I'm going to be assfucked on the job market if I don't go to grad school.

>> No.6357163
File: 32 KB, 492x400, 1392496583541.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6357108
>having a 4.0 science GPA
>Not even 5.0
>mfw

>> No.6357189

>>6356900

I'm glad you personally know me. And how is my uni bullshit? Some professors go into the politically correct shit (social psych., sociology, etc.), but that's not what the class is about generally.

It's funny, but compared to everyone in the field, I know nothing, so you're right. That's why I'm there to learn.

>> No.6357203

>>6357189
Well which year you're in and how much do you know already? Can you pick up chicks more effectively than average alpha males? Impress people you see for the first time with your knowledge of them? Just summarise your gained knowledge, please.

>> No.6357221

>>6356851

There's virtually no difference between a BS and a BA.

>> No.6357223

>>6357163
When you get out of high school they don't give you extra points for doing what you already should be doing.

>> No.6357257

>>6357223
And what should you be doing.

>> No.6357567

>>6355101
Geology, I know rocks. Please kill me.

>> No.6357604

>>6355471
except metaphysics is a branch of philosophy, not pseudoscience.

>> No.6357618

>>6357567
Never met a poor Geologist.
Doesn't exist.

>> No.6357718

>>6356851
>>6356959
Not entirely. My uni only offers BAs for undergrad science. Also we're UK so no major/minor shit

>> No.6357766

>>6356599

Nope.

The problems non-trivial.

>> No.6357856

>>6357221
That's not true at all institutions

>> No.6358678

bumping

>> No.6358687

I have a question /sci/ why do you guys hold hard science in such high esteem and shit on non hard sciences? Wouldn't it be harder than hard sciences? With hard sciences you know what is going to happen you don't with non hard science.

also why are people proud to do science? The individual in question hasn't done anything. Just regurgitate the science others actual have done. I don't mean that just for science but on all things that would apply

please don't take my questions as someone hating on science.

>> No.6358731

>>6355101
>Degree
Theoretical Physics and Applied Maths

>Knowledge affecting quality of daily life?
I feel I am a much more rational and logical person than I was before (although I was before as well) I can see the most rational course of action to take in any situation. Also I feel like I am able to model situations in my head and think about how something might have happened (see a broken fence, realise where the stress points lie, work out how to fix it).

>Most profitable way to make use of my skills?
Computer modelling and data analysis.

>> No.6358759

>>6358731
>Applied Maths
>Computer modelling and data analysis

Can't be the ONLY way to make use of your skills (profitable). Come on sci, an undergrad in Applied Maths with a minor in Applied Physics -- where can this go in terms of graduate school? I'm sure there are many routes and options.

/thread

>> No.6358771

>>6358759
Engineering, physics work, business, etc.
You're correct

>> No.6358795

Is a masters in geology useful if I want to make loadsamoney offshore? (I live in Norway, land of the oil with a severe lack of geologists)

>> No.6358870

>>6355101

> Degree
Pure Mathematics (and none of that baby BA shit, either)

> Knowledge blah blah blah
The superhuman ability to reduce any situation to its most abstract and therefore least actionable form. In seriousness, though, it definitely helped me to become a more cogent writer and, I'd like to think, a generally better thinker. Being able to model things and think about infinity in a meaningful way is kinda neat, too. All the math definitely helped make my code less shitty, which is nice.

> Most profitable thingy
Cryptography, verified software design, abstract nonsense PhD, data analysis, computer modelling.

>> No.6358876

>>6355123

> words

That's pretty great. I do some of that passively, but it sounds like you take a much more active posture with it. I should put some more serious effort into optimizing my life.

>> No.6358879

>degree
about to start first year of compsci, (but might transfer to software eng?? i dunno if it's a good idea, because i might have to do an extra semester, and i hate wasting time)

>knowledge
i view things in an unbiased manner (but sometimes i can be a total bitch because i forget about people's emooooootioons).

>profit???
too far in the future, i already said i don't know if i'm doing the right degree

>> No.6359018

Do grad schools differ from country to country? How to make enough money (without working of course) to even be able to study at one?