[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 43 KB, 496x502, Jet.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6348401 No.6348401[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

What do you do when you've hit a wall in mathematics? I'm struggling against myself. There's almost nothing I've not contemplated, proved, calculated, read through, unified, derived, examined, analyzed, conjectured etc. I feel as though the last 10 years of my life is a sad sacrifice to information processing, I don't find mathematics beautiful nor inspiring. I see it as a practical exercise in semantics, a dreadfully cold science without any real meaning in and of itself apart from those few nuggets of mathematical gold you can on occasion apply to real-life problems.

>> No.6348406

Go into physics

>> No.6348414

>>6348401
Go into computer science. It's like math, except stuff happens.

>> No.6348415

>>6348406

OP here.

That's sort of vague, yeah? I mean... I've worked for and with many physicists. They sort of rely on the mathematics. I agree that physics can and often does reveal new and interesting phenomena from which interesting conclusions can be drawn, but I'd rather do something for more of a reason than the novelty of the enterprise.

So yeah, what do you mean precisely about that advice? I'm a bit cynical as you can see, maybe you had something else in mind?

>> No.6348417

>>6348414

OP here.

Like I've said, not interesting in information processing anymore. Sort of wanting to move away from the mechanization of my life through these sorts of avenues.

>> No.6348419

>>6348417
Then go back to school and get a degree in rhetoric? Or philosophy?

I'm not sure what you're looking for.