[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 31 KB, 576x765, 20111228.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6341993 No.6341993 [Reply] [Original]

It just seems to me that all other forms of energy, other than potential, are "measurable". Hotter object vibrate more than colder ones. Brighter light has a higher photon/second count. Objects with more Kinetic Energy travel faster. What is the difference between a body with Potential Energy, and one which doesn't? Is it just a kind of "dark energy", which we know exists but can't observe?

Pic related, probably describes me right now

>> No.6342010

I agree , Potential Energy is a huge faggot

>> No.6342021

>>6341993
potential energy can be measured. it just sucks absolute ass if there are more than 2 electrons

>> No.6342056

>Brighter light has a higher photon/second count
how that?

>> No.6342127

Potential energy is like position.
Can you measure position? No, you can only measure position relative to some coordinate system. Then you can talk about differences in position (i.e particle <span class="math">A[/spoiler] is 1m north of particle <span class="math">B[/spoiler]).
Potential energy works the same way. Differences are the only thing that is "real".

>> No.6342231
File: 25 KB, 300x300, Chill-Out-I-got-this-300x300.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6341993
Energy by itself would be bullshit by your definition, since it can't be measured in general. It's the conserved charge associated with the invariance under time translations, and it may include a 'potential' term. This would mean /thread by itself, but it's important to note that you are alluding to some important point. It's true that in many cases potential energy depends on the choice of some unmeasurable constant (said better: it's not gauge invariant) but so are the other forms of energy you described and sometimes the distinction between kinetic and potential is not much clear.

Note that the mass of proton is mostly potential binding energy between the quarks. That's measurable.

"Dark energy" is not unmeasurable. It's measured. It's just not directly imaged, that's what dark means.