[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 31 KB, 660x291, Spacetime_curvature.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6328549 No.6328549 [Reply] [Original]

/sci/

I have a few questions that I bet have been asked a thousand times before on this board but Im curious and you guys give the best answers

1. Can gravity bend gravity like it bends spacetime?

2. How are photons related to the electromagnetic force and the photons we see as visible light?

3. how do gravitons 'bend' spacetime? (is this simply a property they have or can this be explained in depth)?

4. What is the purpose of a capacitor?

5. Talk to me about the event horizon?

I know you guys (& gals?) love explaining this stuff and I love to listen... longtime lurker on this board

Thanks alot guys... Much gratitude on my part

>> No.6328554
File: 406 KB, 1600x1842, home.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6328549
>bamp
Any good explanations/ analogies to any other confusing phenomena is well appreciated

I understand that this is an absurd request but if you guys no any amazing explanations for things that are oft found confusing please provide!

any knowledge gained is well appreciated!

>> No.6328557
File: 642 KB, 600x2113, odd.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6328554

>> No.6328590

Might want to wait a little while on the event horizon thing. I think hawkings new proposal changes up some things on black holes and their event horizons and such whatnot.

And capacitor? Are you talking about the electrical stuff? If so, theyre basically rechargeable batteries. And you put those in so that it smoothes out electical signals. For example, lets say you have a sin wave signal, you throw in a capacitor into the circuit, the capacitor will discharge when the signal is at the low point of the sin, and charge when its at the high point. Thus you get a much more normalized signal with smaller peaks and troughs. That was the short and correct in a sense version.

>> No.6328594
File: 105 KB, 523x311, 1391405371337.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6328590
Cool that makes sense.... but why would you have a sin wave signal? can one assume that the signal out of a battery will be "smooth"?

>> No.6328604

>>6328594
Relatively smooth. But lets say you have an AC current coming from your wall and you need to convert it to DC. Or lets say you have a sensor but it gets a lot of noise and you want to physically remove some of it. Or if youre the electric company and you need to get rid of varying back emf, make sure the current doesnt drop if someone suddenly turns stuff on, etc.

>> No.6328636

>>6328604
Does a resistor just absorb energy/ potential then?

>> No.6328649

>>6328636
How about you look this stuff up man?

>> No.6328648

>>6328549

I'm no expert so if anyone wants to correct me go ahead

1. Don't know for sure but I think not

3. I don't know if we even really know this. We haven't confirmed the existence of gravitons yet so I doubt we've confirmed how they interact with spacetime

5. What do you want to know about it? It's basically just the point past which you can't escape a black hole, excluding hawking radiation

4 was already answered and 2 I'm really fuzzy on

>> No.6328650

>>6328636
no it emits it as heat

>> No.6328652

>>6328649
I have been scouring the internet trying to find this shit

the only stuff I get are highly technical and often answer these questions tangentially (ie without much depth)

>> No.6329280

>>6328636
A resistor dissipates energy. If we take the classic example of water, A capacitor is like a reservoir where we store water when we have too much and draw water from when we have too little. A resistor would be like evaporation, dissipating some of the water. Then you have a variety of switches and counterweights and dams and all that good stuff. You dont really need to learn about those unless youre going to be working with an actual circuit since those are usually built into a product.

>> No.6329418
File: 55 KB, 318x406, du5291c55e.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

> 1. Can gravity bend gravity like it bends spacetime?

can music sing music like it sings singer?

> 2. How are photons related to the electromagnetic force and the photons we see as visible light?

uuuhh... it's complicated. But the basic idea is: the electromagnetic field can oscillate at different frequencies indipendently (this is classical field theory.) QM teaches that the energy in each frequency (or mode) is quantized in units of omega*hbar [technical: this is because every mode acts as a QHO] and we say: if this mode contains three units of energy, then we say there are three photons, three quanta, in this state. However, it's not as easy as it seems. I'm handwaving a lot.

> 3. how do gravitons 'bend' spacetime? (is this simply a property they have or can this be explained in depth)?

gravity does not bend spacetime. Spacetime is bent by energy-momentum on it and objects move along it and that is gravity. General Relativity is a field theory and the curvature of s-t is described by fields. If you apply a procedure similar to the one before, in the limit of weak field, you get again that the energy in each (small) oscillation mode of s-t is quantized. Then the quanta are called gravitons.

> 4. What is the purpose of a capacitor?

Torturing high school students

cont'd...

>> No.6329426

continuing from >>6329418

> 5. Talk to me about the event horizon?

please ignore the 'hawking said it doesn't exist' folks.

The event horizon is a specific 3-dimensional surface in spacetime which can only be crossed in one direction by actual objects (that is, locally moving at or below the speed of light.) Nothing more. But if you think about it, there are lots of such surfaces and noone talks about them. For example, take the surface of all spacetime events that happen 1 second from now, anywhere. You have to cross this surface, from the past to the future. The black hole event horizon is special because it guards a very peculiar part of spacetime (the bh interior) which includes a singularity in his border (the shape and dimensionality of the singularity is not defined, contrary to popular opinion. Its shape depends on the coordinate system) meaning that the worldlines of object that fall in come to an abrupt stop in finite proper time.

> Gals?

hah.

>> No.6329470

1. Gravity only influences mass/energy
2. Photons are small packets that "carry" the electromagnetic force. Light is just an electromagnetic wave that our eyes have evolved to detect.
3. We don't know if gravitons exist in that context.
4. There isn't a purpose of a capacitor in itself, but combined with other elements in a circuit it's nice to have. Capacitors are designed to hold defined amounts of charge (as in electrons) and discharge when the electron displacement becomes to great. Using capacitors in a circuit gives us greater control of the current going through the circuit. We mostly use capacitors in design with transistors. Because the capacitor can take a variable current and make a square signal for the transistors.
5. Im guessing you are talking about black holes? If so i'll say that if you are sucked into one you will see the future of the universe before becoming a long spaghetti noodle. Pretty cool way to die if you ask me

>> No.6329577

>>6329426
>>6329418

Thanks buddy

Your explanations are well appreciated