[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 111 KB, 800x449, jake barnett.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6321486 No.6321486[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Putting aside all scientific celebrity media bullshit and IQ dick measuring contests, could this kid actually be the next huge revolutionary figure in science?

>> No.6321491

sure, but then again, i could. or you. you aren't a revolutionary figure, till you're a revolutionary figure.

>> No.6321501

>>6321491
not OP, but i kind of think my crappy spatial intelligence (mostly due to epilepsy fucking up my brain even more with every seizure) and increasingly short attention span kind of inhibits me from learning advanced math and physics. it's hard for me to even do simple mental math now, and it kind of bothers me. i hope someone tells me that this is all bullshit and i'm just making excuses, but i'm no neuro/psychologist, i don't know how this shit works.

>> No.6321527

>>6321486
He could be, but it seems unlikely. I've been reading the occasional article about child prodigies like him since before I was his age, and I didn't hear anything about them ever again. I don't even know what you do when you have a BA at 15. Grad school? So you get a PhD at 18? Tenure at 25? Burn out by 30?

You could write a really interesting book on why bright kids like these don't end up becoming the next Gauss or Erdos, but I suspect it's a combination of:
1. computational skills no longer being enough to produce new breakthroughs, you need to be able to transcend current thinking (like Einstein did);
2. Collaboration is an essential part of science and autistic characteristics inhibit that;
3. Professors, especially junior professors, are expected to teach more and publish lots of papers, rather than having the freedom to stick to one difficult topic as long as necessary.

>> No.6321535

>>6321527
if i was that kids parents, i'd send him to art school, preferably one abroad.

>> No.6321570

>>6321486
Who's that?

>> No.6321583

>>6321535
Well, I definitely wouldn't send him to a regular college where he'd be surrounded by drugs and sluts. Actually, that's probably item number 4 in that list.

>> No.6321585

lol no
He has a good memory and that's about it

He has baseless goals of one day disprovig the big bang and touts that he can think in '4 and 5 dimensions'
Bullshit

>> No.6321595

So, what has the fellow produced that would make him Nobel Prize-worthy?

>> No.6321600

>>6321527
there have been a lot of stories about "prodigies" who are very smart in their early years, but then just become normal later on. depending on their experiences and guidance, they can end up doing good or end up killing themselves...

>> No.6321605

>>6321583
no, if you put the drugs and sluts first, the last 3 wont happen. thats why i said art school in europe.

if you fall before you climb too high, its way easier to get back up.

>> No.6321609

>>6321486
>What are the chances of anyone becoming a revolutionary figure in science?
Very very small
>Does Jacob show any promise?
No, he's done nothing significant in science as of yet.
>Any signs he might be a flop
I seen one of his lecturers, and it's just a bunch of popsci and self dick measuring. I think the media and his parents boosting his ego through the roof hurts him.

There have been many child prodigy scientists out there, but none of them have gone on to do something great.

>> No.6321615

>>6321486
He'll be fine once he decides to distance himself from his parents. The kid's a socially awkward autist. Why would a socially awkward autist want the kind of attention he's getting? His parents are the ones parading him around the media. His parents are the only reason anybody on /sci/ actually knows who Jacob Barnett is. These distractions will only be detrimental to success in the long-term, if not already. Just let the kid do some science and who knows what he may one day offer to academia.

>> No.6321624

>>6321600
Links? Not that I don't believe you, I'm just curious to read their stories.

>> No.6321630

>>6321605
>no, if you put the drugs and sluts first, the last 3 wont happen. thats why i said art school in europe.
Sage advice. Who are you, that you are so wise in the ways of doing drugs and fucking sluts without ruining your life?

>> No.6321648

>>6321630
a happily married man who is leisurely finishing his degree with no debt, no job, and no worries.

>> No.6321708

>>6321624
http://content.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1532087,00.html
to throw some names out, Sufiah Ysuf, Andrew Halliburton, Grace Quek,

>> No.6321714

>>6321708
also, Brandenn Bremmer

>> No.6321729

i wonder if he has a sex drive now that he hit puberty

>> No.6321778

>>6321609
>>6321527

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terence_Tao

Never heard of Terry Tao?

>> No.6321940

>>6321486
maybe, maybe not.

the pressure and expectations to be a huge revolutionary fgure certainly won't help

>> No.6321941

>>6321778
One of the few that actually made a name for himself, an exception, not the rule.

>> No.6321942

>>6321585
>touts that he can think in '4 and 5 dimensions'

and how does he know this?

>> No.6321945

>>6321501
Yes it is pure bullshit. Don't blame your lack of motivation and effort anything but yourself and you shitty decision making.

>> No.6321950

>tfw you will never have a high iq and be able to appreciate the true beauty of numbers, science, and nature
>tfw everyone told you you could be anything you wanted to, but forgot to mention that's only if you're smart and talented
;_;

The worst part is that I actually think math and physics are both really cool, but I'll never be smart enough to fully understand them. It's honestly one of the worser feels that I have.

>> No.6321953

>>6321945

I believe Satoshi Mochizuka (dunno if I got the name right, but he's the ABC Conjecture guy) was a child prodigy, at least to some extent, and he's very revolutionary in mathematics (assuming, of course, his paper isn't all bullshit).

So like a lot of people said, it could go either way.

>> No.6321958

>>6321950
>Why doesn't knowledge just fall into my brain without any effort whatsoever
Stop making excuses.

>> No.6321963

>>6321958
You can try getting all the knowledge you want, but it doesn't do anything if you don't understand it.

>> No.6321964

>>6321963
>>6321950
You won't get it if you convice yourself it's impossible. Quit whining

>> No.6321966

>>6321964
I know it's impossible. I got an IQ in the 90s and I scored 470 in math on my SAT. Overall got a 1540.

You just don't understand stupid feels. My friend somehow managed to get C's in all his highschool classes, never did his homework, and still got 4's and 5's on his AP exams because he just figured out how to do the math/science as he went along.

I'm nothing compared to that.

>> No.6321978

>>6321966
All it means is that it might take some effort for you to understand the material than for someone else for whatever random reason.

Stop whining and go put some effort if you want to understand the stuff.

>> No.6321980

>>6321486

Depends if he is going to circle jerk around inventing even more theoretical shit...

Or...

Focus on useful application of things.

There is already a gigantic pile of theory that we are hundreds of years away from ever being able to apply. Essentially useless. No... 100% useless.

>> No.6321981

>>6321963
As someone who is intelligent, I can tell you that you're currently stick in the vicious cycle of relatively low intelligence and not having any understanding of how to improve it.

>> No.6321982

>>6321978
>Stop whining and go put some effort if you want to understand the stuff.
You say that, but it's like telling a kid born with no legs to walk, all he has to do is put some effort into it.

>> No.6321987

>>6321982
And the kid would put some effort into it, glue legs to where they should be and start walking.

This is what you need, creativity.

>> No.6321988

>>6321982
Not the guy you were talking to, but that's a different matter. You have the resources to achieve your goal; the kid does not. The problem with people like you is that you read a few times and fail and just decide "I can't do, I'm not smart enough if some random person can do it without putting in effort." Ever think that maybe the guy just fucks around, but still knows how to apply himself when necessary? If you don't understand individually, there's always someone who can break it down for you. Most people just refuse to seek help. No one said the shit is easy.

>> No.6321990

>>6321988
I don't understand why everybody says I'm not trying. What counts as effort? It's taken years of effort and trying to give up and say that I'm shit. It's not like I just quit or anything.

>> No.6321993

>>6321990
Have you actually tried to get a degree in physics and/or math?

>> No.6321994

>>6321486
Probably not. He seems to spend too much time on publicity. Less time to do actual work.

>> No.6322001

>>6321993
I'm in calculus 2 in community college right now after barely scraping by with a C in calculus 1.

We just learned about how to do work and hooke's law, and I could just follow the steps. Soon as I got home to try to do the homework I couldn't even figure out how to get the force for the first problem. Youtub'ed a few videos, tried it again, still couldn't figure out what the hell to do, and eventually just looked up the answers step by step in the student solutions manual. There were even parts where I didn't get in the steps, and even after looking how to do the problem I couldn't even begin to setup problem 2.

>> No.6322007

>>6321486
>could this kid actually be the next huge revolutionary figure in science?
Doesn't he have to achieve something other than being autistic with a mother that still bathes him?
I mean, he's done NOTHING except have articles written about things be may sort of do maybe someday.

>> No.6322016

>>6322001
Sounds like you have a weak foundation on the math part.
I'd recommend studying your algebra, geometry and trig again, and calc 1 too.
Try something like khan academy.

>> No.6322045

>>6321486
He suffers from existing in an environment that celebrates his every move. He is too sheltered from meaningful criticism to get out of his creationist stance and the severe misconceptions he has.

[At least this is the impression I have gotten out of all of his media appearances and the YouTube video I saw of him spouting standard first year undergrad bullshit about photons.]

>> No.6322061

>>6321950
Lazy twat.
The secret to success is hard work.

>> No.6322171
File: 52 KB, 319x400, 1391138824697.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6321950
You don't have to be a genius, you just have to want to know it.

>> No.6322234

>>6322001
>tfw got C in Calc 1 as undergrad in community college
>now in PhD mathematics program at one of the top 20 universities.

Stay buttfrustrated, bitch nigga.

>> No.6322241

>>6322234
Well, perhaps you could tell me your story and I'll just copy exactly what you did.

>> No.6322260

>>6322234
>one of the top 20 universities
In dat world?

>> No.6322271

>>6322241
Truthfully? I had an awesome teacher in Calculus II who really made me want to learn. I was a lackadaisical student in the classroom in my beginning University years, but I progressed bit by bit as time went on. By the last two years of University, I was doing very well grade-wise.

Overall, I'd honestly just say go back to day 1 and study. Really learn the definitions and play with them. Make conjectures about certain things. The calculus sequence is there to weed out a voluminous amount of students in one-go, so to speak, so if you're having a hard time, don't fret; other people are having a difficult time as well.

/sci/ will seriously have you believing that if you don't have a 150+ IQ and you're not at Oxford/Cambridge, your life is over/not worth living. That's not the case and extremely far from the truth. Read and study the text(s) as much as you can, but try to really build from the ground up. Look at solutions; so the fuck what. The point is to understand.

You get on yourself for not getting it for the first try or having to look it up in a student manual, but who cares? As long as you comprehend it when you DO read it, you're golden. Find analogies between problems, too.

It also turns out that Calculus isn't really a good way to 'test' one's knowledge or mathematical aptitude. Fun fact: Perelman didn't even know Calculus when he won the God damn Olympiad, but no one would dare consider him anything less than a mathematical genius. Calculus doesn't suddenly make you a math whiz, nor does it make you someone horrible. I've seen straight Calculus aces get D's in Real analysis and then someone like me(who got a C in Calc 1) got not only an A in Real Analysis, but also my other high-end level classes.

>> No.6322287

>>6322271
To ask how is it possible for me to get an A, when I got a C in Calc 1? The answer is relatively simple: Calculus I is kind of 'plug'n'chug' whereas Analysis is rooted in logic, thinking with a plan ahead, etc. It's a different mindset altogether.

For all you know, you could suck shit at Calculus, but be a fucking ace in Algebraic Topology.

>> No.6322626

He found an error in Einstein's GR.

>> No.6323118

>>6321648
>no job

>> No.6323128

>>6321486
he's fucking American!!!!!!

OF COURE NOT YOU DIPSHIT

would you please consider you are talking about an American? he's going to achieve nothing
get real