[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 115 KB, 525x335, 1389844083925.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6293905 No.6293905 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /sci/ how do you think the world will be in the year 2100?
What kind of technologies do you think we have reached by that point?

>> No.6293916

> how do you think the world will be in the year 2100
Not like the animes you watch, and not like the videogames you play. So you can delete this baseless non-sci fantasy thread

>> No.6293924

>>6293905
I have no idea, really, considering how fast technology's moved in the past century. But here's my guesses:

>There will not have been a Singularity.
>There will not be nanobots.
>We will not have jetpacks.
>Moore's Law will have ended; computers will still be more powerful, though, because they will be three-dimensional and stacked instead of just being flat chips.
>There will be an actual population living and working in space, and we will have asteroid mining.
>Getting into space from Earth will still involve rocket engines.
>We will still burn coal for power.
>A major portion of our energy will come from nuclear reactions - whether from fission, fusion, or from solar.
>Prosthetics that interface with the nervous system will have reached the point where they are as good as human parts - or better.
>People will still get cancer eventually, and will not be immortal. They will live MUCH longer, though.
>At least one enemy nuclear weapon will have detonated on American soil.
>Earth's population will not be much higher than today's.

>> No.6293930

Videogame graphics will be slightly more realistic.

>> No.6293929

>>6293916
Go look back the technological differences between 1900 and 2000.

>> No.6293938

Good chance that everything will go to crap one way or another. Olduvai theory's predictions may begin to kick in, but that's questionable in my opinion.

>> No.6293947

>>6293929
Yeah sure, but the developments are always functional. So you can quit dreaming about a deus ex future. Maybe an elyisum future might exist though, with the exoskeletons and all

>> No.6293957

>>6293924
Also
>Ordinary home computers will involve optical and even quantum-computing components; they probably WON'T look much like the insides of computers today. They may not even use transistors.
>Virtual reality will be really good, and quite common.
>A vast proportion of work currently done by manual labor will be automated, including many things currently considered to be intellectual work. This may or may not result in vast unemployment - all such predictions have been wrong in the past, but this time may well be different.
>Body modification will be common, and will be considerably more socially-acceptable than present. Genetic modification or implantation of machinery will be a common theme.
>The global climate will be different than it is now, but this will not have caused a massive catastrophe.
>At least one major, society-changing, unprecedented technological or scientific innovation will occur that will render the future as totally unpredictable from our present standpoint as the transistor made the present unpredictable from the standpoint of the early 20th century.
>We will be pretty good at engineering biological systems and growing tissues to specification. Vat-grown organs will be common. Vat-grown meat will exist, but it'll be nasty.
>Small-run custom "garage" manufacturing, from online collaboration, 3D printing, cheap automated labor, and other technologies, will be a pretty significant section of the industrial and commercial economy - but not a majority.
>Most resources will be cheaper and more plentiful than present. We will, however, have to resort to recycling and reclaiming phosphates, because phosphate deposits actually will have run out, and oil will also be more expensive. Energy, however, will still be pretty cheap.
>The Middle East will STILL be a mess.
>The global map will have something as massively different about it compared to ours as a 2000 world map has compared to a 1900. My guess is that it'll be North America this time.

>> No.6293976

>>6293924
>Nuclear war
>Advanced prosthetics
Have you been watching GiTS or something
Also, how much older are we talking. Fifty years on average more, or two hundred?

>> No.6293979

>>6293905
Technology stagnates, the economy permanently collapses due to resource scarcity, overpopulation and no solutions in sight.

A tiny minority of wealthy individuals will hold sway of a rapidly demographically declined world, poverty, starvation and death, war will run rampant in the 'developing' world and will regress to Afghanistan-tier lawlessness and backwardness. Developed countries will revert to something like modern 3rd world countries. Prices for everything will be high, wages low, government controls will be absolute and oppressive.

Lettuce be cereal here. You know this what the future will hold.

>> No.6293982

>>6293976
Nah, never watched Ghost In The Shell. Just been reading the news and the journals.

>How much older

I have no idea. Absolutely none. The only thing I'm sure of is that any guess I'd make would be wrong. Let's be generous and say a century.

>> No.6293987

Everything will be the same shit.

Do you actually expect people to do any progress? Buildings look the same as fifty years ago, with the difference of being taller and with more glass. People will still be poor, third world countries will look exactly like they look like this day, some parts in them still look like what they looked like in the 1800s.

The only changes that will happen will be the culture, there will be more faggots and lesbians fucking in the streets, people speaking against this groups will be beaten nearly to death, the internet will be a resource to spy on people and make sure they don't do anything politically incorrect and shit.

Really, nothing will change at all. We already have all we need to have. Can you imagine other interesting things in the future? Please don't bring that shit quote again as an attempt to counter my argument, we are reaching to the limit of what's affordable for the common man.

>> No.6293994
File: 384 KB, 1024x596, 1389848970101.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

When you really think of how close 2100 I can't think of anything very ground-breaking.

What I do look forward to for sure would be a possible 20 or 10 hour work-week in the West, which isn't quite far away given Canada already averages 30/week.

>> No.6293999

>>6293924
> because they will be three-dimensional and stacked instead of just being flat chips.
Only companies will afford these

>There will be an actual population living and working in space, and we will have asteroid mining.
Top lel. We haven't even gotten to Mars or visited the Moon in qiute a time. Do you really expect people living on low gravity? Do you really think spaceships will be cheap in a few decades?

>Prosthetics that interface with the nervous system will have reached the point where they are as good as human parts - or better.
>Implying we can join every single axon with cables
>Implying the body won't reject these shits

>People will still get cancer eventually, and will not be immortal. They will live MUCH longer, though.
>Implying they won't die from cardiovascular disease
>Implying cancer will let them live more than 100 years

>At least one enemy nuclear weapon will have detonated on American soil.
Unlikely. The Koreans will be overthrown by coup de etats and what not, they will die from civil wars.

>Earth's population will not be much higher than today's.
Everyone now is fucking like rabbits, what makes you think everyone will start behaving properly?

>> No.6294002

>>6293999
>Everyone now is fucking like rabbits, what makes you think everyone will start behaving properly?

>Everyone now is fucking like rabbits

Except for the countries which have negative population growth because they aren't fucking like rabbits.

And the countries which have below-replacement fertility because they aren't fucking like rabbits, and are only growing because immigrants are moving in.

Hell, even Africa and China's population growth has been slowing for a while now.

Most projections now expect human population to level off around 8-11 billion, and then either stay steady or start falling.

>> No.6294007

>>6293957
>
>Ordinary home computers will involve optical and even quantum-computing components; they probably WON'T look much like the insides of computers today. They may not even use transistors.
Few people can afford gaming PCs now. People won't afford this shit.

>Virtual reality will be really good, and quite common.
Unlikely.

>A vast proportion of work currently done by manual labor will be automated, including many things currently considered to be intellectual work.
Machines cannot think.
>This may or may not result in vast unemployment
It will create unemployment for sure

>Body modification will be common, and will be considerably more socially-acceptable than present.
If you mean more edgy kids getting piercings i agree.
> Genetic modification or implantation of machinery will be a common theme.
This only generates cancer. Machines will kill your liver.

>Most resources will be cheaper and more plentiful than present. Energy, however, will still be pretty cheap.
>Implying you know shit about resources

>> No.6294011

>>6294007
>Few people can afford gaming PCs now.
God fucking damn, how poor are you? I am and have always been upper lower class/lower middle class but I could save up to get a nearly top of the line gaming PC.

>> No.6294016

>>6294011
Not all the countries have oil and an army that can extort the rest of the world to give them what they want.

>> No.6294017

>>6294007
Few people have always been able to afford Gaming PCs.

However, the shitty laptop I'm using right now would have classed as a hardcore gaming PC a decade ago.

This is because the definition of a Gaming PC is "a PC that is more powerful than the average PC, to be used for the purpose of gaming."
Of course a computer that is more powerful than average is going to be more expensive then average.

>> No.6294018

>>6294016
So it will be absolutely no different from right now in the actual paradigm then, the shit that a few can afford will just be better.
O.K.

>> No.6294025

>>6294017
And is this your response to an argument stating that people won't be able to afford computers with quantum-computing components? I don't even know what the fuck quantum computing means. It is clear the guy is just using wishful thinking.

>> No.6294030

>>6294025
I think its just been made clear that you're a goddamn idiot.

>> No.6294033

>>6294025
>I don't even know what quantum computing means
>It is clear this guy is just wishful thinking

Fifty years ago, computers - just computers in general - were something only rich kids with too much money and universities had access to. Was it wishful thinking then, so obviously stupid that it could be dismissed without thought, to think that anyone could ever have a use for "home computers?"

>> No.6294036

>>6294025
>I don't know what quantum computing is
>But I'm absolutely sure people won't ever be able to afford it

I - what? Just - what? Buh?

>> No.6294038

>>6294033
>>6294036
Not that guy, but afaik, quantum computing is impractical because it cannot 'reset' it's like the powder in a cannon blowing up. It can calculate something extreme in a picosecond until all of it's particles or whatever go to their lower energy level then it's just an inert device.

A computing bomb. I don't see this being very practical for the consumer market, sorry.

>> No.6294040

>>6294036
If it was possible, it would be well known by now.

>>6294033
You're implying we will eventually become gods as the time passes while ignoring you're just a spoiled rich kid in a first world country who is oblivious about the rest of the world.

>> No.6294041

>>6294040
>if it was possible, it would be well known by now

I just want you to imagine saying that from the perspective of 1914.

>> No.6294045

>>6294041
You're trying to compare a society where messages were sent with doves and dogs to a society where soldiers can call nuclear strikes with a cellphone.

>> No.6294049
File: 56 KB, 503x636, 1389850991643.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6294045
>1914
>doves and dogs
>tone of disdain for the past
Just stop posting you plebian.

>> No.6294053

>>6294049
What i'm saying is that they didn't have that ease to communicate in the past. People in my country didn't even know two world wars had started. Now we are able to know when the pope is taking a shit in the woods and stuff.

>> No.6294056

>>6294045
You do know we had telephones and radio in 1914, right?

And anyway, I'm just trying to say, the odds are against you on this one. There has been no time in history in the past few centuries where saying "if it were possible, it would be well known by now" would have been a true statement.

Anyway, quantum computing IS well known. Just because you haven't heard of it doesn't mean it isn't. It is definitely far beyond something you could do at home right now, and the technology is in its infancy - but in 1914, a "computer" was either a mechanical calculator or a woman with a slide rule, and in 1964 a "computer" was STILL a person with a slide rule, or a room full of vacuum tubes and relays, or a mainframe-sized box of transistors.

>> No.6294057

>>6294053
He was not talking about communication, that is not relevant. He was talking about the state of scientific knowledge. Which actually does imply development of alot of these things, though very clearly not being "well we can just go build it, now"

>> No.6294064

>>6294057
>There has been no time in history in the past few centuries where saying "if it were possible, it would be well known by now" would have been a true statement.
Because in no time other than this moment right now we have had the ability to communicate as fast. Scientific advances are known immediately, and if it's something that will definitely change our future, it would be coming much more popular each day it passes. It would be shown in the news worldwide and i haven't heard of quantum computing anywhere in this country.

>>6294057
You're a faggot. No, that's not an argument.

>> No.6294066

>>6294064
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=quantum+computing
>About 34,400,000 results

Ta-da. You have now heard of it.

>> No.6294071

>>6294064
>If it's something that will definitely change our future in the next 85 years, it would be obviously known to me personally right now.

Wow.

>> No.6294082

Because it's unlikely humanity will change it's nature, i personally don't carry much hope for humanity. We are too short-sighted, too ego-centric, and too wasteful and greedy to survive in any meaningful way. We value other human life too much over the lives of other organism upon which we rely heavily. Any attempts to reduce population growth for the sake of sustainability would likely be met with resistance from capitalist culture.

"When the Last Tree Is Cut Down, the Last Fish Eaten, and the Last Stream Poisoned, You Will Realize That You Cannot Eat Money"

Science creates amazing tools, but it's generally not the accountable and far-seeing who utilizes them.

We have evolved to handle immediate threats and to tend to our immediate needs, not to make sacrifices for the sake of people we won't see, or know, in the future.

>> No.6294088

>>6293924
Spot on in my opinion. As spot on as it gets I bet.

>> No.6294094

>>6293999
>>At least one enemy nuclear weapon will have detonated on American soil.
>Unlikely. The Koreans will be overthrown by coup de etats and what not, they will die from civil wars.
Nuclear bombs become easier to build with each decade. It would likely be a terrorist group, not a nation, that would succeed in dropping a nuclear weapon on america.

Also, you're post in general seems to forget how long 86 years is.

>> No.6294098

>>6293957
>>The Middle East will STILL be a mess.
Only one I disagree with. I think Africa will be the only messy part of the world in 86 years.

>> No.6294102

>>6293999
We already have prosthetics that can connect to the nervous system. They'll only get better.

>> No.6294106

>>6294007
I only know that every time somebody has predicted that resources would get more expensive, they've been wrong.

>> No.6294108

>>6293999
>Do you really think spaceships will be cheap in a few decades?

Absolutely.

>> No.6294112

>>6294088
Yep. If that posters still here id like to commend them actually, quite a sensible bit of futurism. Of course, we cant know this stuff, but still. Reasonable and plausible.

>> No.6294113

>>6294112
Thanks!

>> No.6294125

>>6294108

we haven't had almost any significant progress in rocket engines for more than 50 years and there is no premises for a breakthrough in that field

>> No.6294129

>>6294125
>>6294125
You don't need a breakthrough in rocket engines. All the cost of a rocket comes from non-reusable vehicles and, more importantly, the cost of labor. Fuel costs are trivial, and the raw material costs are nearly so.

>> No.6294130

>>6293924
The only thing I disagree with is the prosthetics to replace lost body parts. I think bioengineering will have advanced to the point where it is simpler to just grown an organic replacement part using the patients own cells rather then build a synthetic one.

>> No.6294500

>Fusion reactors will be common and energy will be abundant nearly every part of the World
>Because energy is so cheap, industrial and social goals will be more easy to achieve
>Either Singularity AI will be developed or not, computers will be powerful on insane levels(Hyperturing) and scientific resolutions will be more achievable
>Humanoid robots will do much of the tasks require heavy labor, because of energy abundancy, their operating cost will be more cheap than human labor
>Food and water problem will be solved eventually
and the best part
>Space colonization and probes to the near stars will be considered pointless, only mining of asteroids and emergency colonies will exist in case of catastrophe

or we will never know, you can take a look Stanislaw Lem's "Return From The Stars" novel for a nearly accurate social and scientific guess of near future.

>> No.6294520

probably a more prominent separation between classes in countries.

working class and poor live in shitty non tech ares while rich cunts live in fucking towers miles above them where the air is cleaner.

>> No.6295127

>>6293938
>olduvai theory
Indeed, a post industrial stone age in which we forget every single goddamn technology such as bronze, steel, masonry, carts, and all those other non electrical non petroleum things is coming upon us, somehow, even though times as advanced as the early 1800s were without petroleum or electricity supporting them.
It cant really be this stupid can it? Im taking these pictures and descriptions too literally?

>> No.6295260
File: 2.26 MB, 360x202, 1389911528366.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6293905
I honestly can say that I am not smart enough to have any fucking idea what 2100 will be like. There are so many things that could happen in the span of 86 years.
>WWIII, (WWIV, WWV? who's to say?).
>Breakthrough in fusion technologies.
>Space travel.
>Nuclear war (nuclear devices will become more and more easy for terrorists to get their hands on).
>Climate change

Better or worse than the world today, I just hope I'm around to see it. I just hope we have mechs. i fucking love mechs.

>inb4 mechs are not practical for any industrial or military applications.
I know, I know /sci/, I just want to see one.

>> No.6295288

Due to lack of employment, billions of people will live in destitution

>> No.6295333

>>6293905
by 2100 we will have limitless clean energy and enough food for everyone on the planet

some of us will have a special kind of intelligence, powerful enough to simulate an entire universe in our heads

we will be able to metabolise plant matter, and will have sophisticated immune systems that can identify and kill viruses dynamically

computers will be meaningless as humans will be the most intelligent creatures on the planet

>> No.6295381

There will not be enough jobs for the number of people. We'll split into a caste system.

The lower caste will be completely separated from the economy. They don't earn enough money to purchase products. They don't have jobs. They simply exist on welfare in slums because we don't know what to do with them. There is no hope for their existence.

The higher caste will be intelligent and beautiful doctors, engineers, researchers, business owners, and investment bankers. They'll live in glorious robot mansions.

>> No.6295468

hopefully we would have colonized mars by then