[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 319 KB, 1280x800, 1387767322639.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6243414 No.6243414 [Reply] [Original]

What's up /sci/ is there a such thing as superposition of states? As in the unknown state of Schroedinger's Cat is two states in superposition

>> No.6243434
File: 499 KB, 322x243, 1387768127193.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

bump

>> No.6243464

The Schrödinger equation <span class="math">i\hbar\partial_t\Psi=\hat{H}\Psi[/spoiler] is linear, so if <span class="math">\Psi_1[/spoiler] and <span class="math">\Psi_2[/spoiler] are solutions, then so is <span class="math">\alpha_1\Psi_1+\alpha_2\Psi_2[/spoiler] for arbitrary complex <span class="math">\alpha_1[/spoiler] and <span class="math">\alpha_2[/spoiler], though in reality physical solutions are normalized, so given normalized solutions <span class="math">\Psi_1[/spoiler] and <span class="math">\Psi_2[/spoiler], <span class="math">\alpha_1\Psi_1+\alpha_2\Psi_2[/spoiler] is a normalized solution with <span class="math">\alpha_1[/spoiler] and <span class="math">\alpha_2[/spoiler] being complex numbers that satisfy <span class="math">\alpha_1^2+\alpha_2^2+[/spoiler]<span class="math">2\alpha_1\alpha_2\langle\Psi_1|\Psi_2\rangle=1[/spoiler]. Now say we are to observe a physical system, like Schrödinger's cat in a box. The observables are dead and alive. For each thing we can observe, there is some Hermitian operator <span class="math">\hat{Q}[/spoiler] whose eigenstates are observable states and whose eigenvalues are the numerical value of the observable (which I suppose would be either 1 for dead or 2 for alive or something like that). The eigenstates of a Hermitian operator are orthogonal (and since they're all normalized, orthonormal), so <span class="math">\rangle\Psi_1|\Psi_2\rangle=0[/spoiler], <span class="math">\alpha_1[/spoiler] and <span class="math">\alpha_2[/spoiler] satisfy <span class="math">\alpha_1^2+\alpha_2^2=1[/spoiler], and <span class="math">\alpha_1[/spoiler] and <span class="math">\alpha_2[/spoiler] are in fact the probabilities of measuring dead or alive respectively.

Shit nigger read a book.

>> No.6243475

>>6243464

Working on it buddy, thanks for the response

>> No.6243542

I wish that picture was larger and the text slightly clearer.

>> No.6243579

>>6243464
This, and actually Schroedinger's Cat is a classical probability situation (combination of pure states (I think that's the right term)), it doesn't even demonstrate special features of quantum probability.