[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 169 KB, 924x460, 1387489935405.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6237071 No.6237071 [Reply] [Original]

/sci/, as someone with a formal education in Climatology and Meteorology (via Geography), nothing infuriates me more than people with no knowledge of weather or climate argue about climate change (be it for or against).

It's extremely bemusing to see people argue about climatic change, yet they don't know the formation of a depression, or how lightning is formed, or fuck, why it rains! This is meteorology 101, yet these people are meant to have the answers regarding Climate Change.

When I was writing my Masters thesis, I wrote on how Climate Change has to be accepted, and adaptation measures must be put in place for the sake of the future built environment. At the moment, the amount of skepticism about Climate Change is ridiculous and it really isn't helped by these so-called "scientists" who are giving their opinion on Climate Change.

Fuck, I've seen news broadcasts where medical doctors or biologists are cited regarding their "scientific expertise" on Climate Change. These people have no fucking basis on this subject. It would be like me as a Geographer being asked on my opinion on the Higgs Boson or some shit, my scientific opinion on that topic is totally irrelevant, as my personal opinion.

I mean there's some subjects which are linked and are relevant. I mean Atmospheric Physics definitely is, but subjects like Geology or Geomorphology definitely have an important role regarding the effects of Climate Change but they aren't actually about the hard science of Global Atmospheric Change. E.g. Continental Drift, supports it, via Pangea etc.

Sorry for the rant, there is no real purpose but I'm tired of people shitting up science with their shit opinions about shit they have no basis in. I mean if you don't understand how pic related is important in relation to Climate Change you should not be fucking talking about it.

It's like those shit stirring people who shit on vaccinations but don't know anything about it. They aren't fucking doctors or whatever.

>> No.6237080

that image where the old physicist starts talking about all other sciences because they're all just applied physics is relevant

>> No.6237109

>>6237080
I'm not going to refute that. My friend is a physicist and he says that Mathematics is the basis of everything.

In fact it would be stupid of me to say that. Of course there is physics in Climatology etc. There is also mathematics. Many subjects in Geography are based on other disciplines.

That is not my point. My point is although Physics may be a basis, it doesn't mean that a physicist necessarily has that working knowledge.

>> No.6237327

>>6237071

>tfw people use relative humidity to talk above how uncomfortably humid it was outside
>tfw nobody actually understands what it means and often say ridiculous things like "it was 90 degrees with 95% humidity"
>tfw nobody understands it's relative and I've literally never heard another person mention the dewpoint in my life when that's an actual absolute measure of water vapor in the atmosphere

>> No.6237452

>>6237071
>people who think they know everything really piss off those of us who do

>> No.6237475

>>6237452
>people who think they know everything really piss off those of us that do
Fixed

>> No.6237487
File: 385 KB, 800x800, 1387500235009.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6237071

How does a boundary vortex morph into a cyclonic vortex? A boundary vortex requires a constant input of energy from the outside in order to keep it organized. If it no longer has two different bodies of air moving in two different directions on each side of it, it will cease to exist. So even if we could supply enough high pressure below it, and low pressure above it, to tilt it into the vertical position, we would still need to keep a steady stream of air on both sides, going in different directions, to keep this vortex rotating. So what gives?

>> No.6237544

TLDR plz noones gonna read all that

>> No.6237872

>>6237487

Anyone?

>> No.6237929

OP you remind me of that new manager guy coming fresh from university into a big company lecturing a senior machinist who knows the company since 30 years how to operate the production processes

>> No.6238196

As regards fields of science, they do not give out degrees like Doctor of Meteorology. The degrees they give out are:
BS -- Everyone knows what that stands for
MS -- More of the Same.
PhD -- Piled higher and Deeper.

ha ha ha

>> No.6238283
File: 56 KB, 225x220, 1387530957241.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>biologists are cited with regards to climate change
>>biologists are cited
>>biologists

>> No.6238316

>>6237071
Nice blog, do post more.