[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 763 KB, 1024x768, Koala.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6196206 No.6196206 [Reply] [Original]

Hello /sci/,

I just finished my masters in electrical engineering from a Canadian school, and want to have a chance at living in a new country for 6-12 months. The thing is, I feel that no companies would be interested in hiring me as it would only be for a short term. However, for two summers in a row my prof has had researchers from different countries visit for 1-2 months, so I feel like my best chances would be working for a lab somewhere since I would be useful from day 1 (hopefully). No schools that I have looked at have any programs like this, so I think that my best bet is to just send my CV to profs whose research and city interests me, but I want to hear your thoughts, as some of you probably have some good knowledge on this topic. My prof also has some connections in Spain, Switzerland and Germany, but nothing in England which is a country I also really want to consider.

tl;dr how to gain travel experience just after completing a masters degree.

>> No.6196208

Is the prof Catholic or something? Has he asked you for sexual favors for any such arrangement?

>> No.6196224

>>6196206
Hmm tough one, you only want to live there for 6-12 months and then return to Canada?

The countries you mentioned are further complicated since they still have different accreditation standards than your Washington Accord accredited master-race degree.

UK would've been perfect, maybe try applying for international companies and request to work in UK, this would also be great for your career since you can stay on when you come back.

Also don't sweat about which country you end up, travel in Europe is cheap and easy, so you'll get that experience.

>> No.6196251

>>6196224
Hey, thanks for the feedback. You are correct, I want to come back to Canada after my 6-12 months, although if I end up loving the country I go to, I would obviously have no problems making a permanent move.

As for applying to an international company and requesting for a transfer, I actually haven't thought of that... That's a really good idea, thanks mayne! I think I will still just spam my CV to profs but will also start looking at industry jobs too.