[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 209 KB, 1920x1080, Equivalent.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6189608 No.6189608 [Reply] [Original]

I'm in basic algebra for my first semester of college and I'm having a lot of trouble.
I want to get a degree in Computer Science (my uni doesn't offer Software Engineering otherwise I would choose that) so I'm going to have to learn a lot of math.

I've always had trouble with math, it's never really "clicked" for me. On top of that, because I was dyslexic, I was forced to be in lower level classes. The classes were always filled with disruptive students who didn't care to learn and teachers who didn't take teaching seriously (probably because all of the students didn't give a shit).

After graduating high school I started appreciating math a lot more, after watching physics videos like the ones on the science channel. So now I REALLY want to learn and understand math well but no matter how hard I try it never seems to make sense to me logically. It always feels like there's some kind of missing piece of information in my head and it bothers me to not understand each chapter fully, even if I get a B on the test.

How do I into math? It's so amazing to me but I'm so bad at it that I get pissed off doing my homework at times. I also have a test coming up on Tuesday on factoring and I can't manage to get my head around it one bit because it seems like a guessing game.

I would deeply appreciate any advice.

>> No.6189619

Factoring to me, in order to make everything more easier to count you want to remove as many terms you can.

Terms are your enemy, and factoring them will remove them.

>> No.6189655

>>6189619
I'm doing my homework now, I'll try to factor as many terms as possible and see if that helps me.

Most people on /sci/ seems to know math flawlessly, does anyone on here use any specific books or websites to better learn/understand it?

>> No.6189700

>>6189608
you need to learn the most basic aspects of math by rote memory. honestly, its almost the only time i would advance that method of learning, but its just like learning how to read the alphabet.

memorize completely, such that you require little to no time in order to recall, the following concepts:

basic multiplication tables up to 12
order of operations
basic mathematical properties (commutative, associative etc)
basic rules of fractions, especially factoring
basic rules of exponents
basic rules of trigonometry
basic rules of algebra

If you memorize this much, you are well on your way. Calculus is only a step ahead and really its just using algebra in a very logical and dynamic manner, with a lot of extra notation to keep track of things.

>> No.6189738

>>6189700
So how can I manage to learn all of those things? I'm probably so fucked in math because I don't have most of those rules memorized and I don't know a lot of the vocabulary, so I don't always know what it's asking for on certain test questions.

Is there any kind of free website that I can use to learn this stuff? I've tried Kahn Academy but it seemed to be too drawn out. He also doesn't seem to explain how/why things are in a problem, but rather just says that's how it is as if that's going to help me comprehend it better.

>> No.6189743

>>6189655
What the guy above said to me, ask teachers for a lot of homoworks with basic maths. And just nail every single problem until the methods can be done in your head.

Just spend more time on solving problems and you will get it, spend like 4-5 hours every day with occasionally pauses and solve math problems.

An average foe needs to put some time into his homework.

>> No.6189750

>>6189738
For elementary algebra:
http://www.purplemath.com/modules/ordering.htm

You don't have to do the lessons, but it will provide you with a road map of topics to learn.

>> No.6189761

>>6189738
you learn things by 'rote' by simple repetition. that is what rote means.

if you dont know the rules, you cant math, its that simple.

practise, practise, practise until its memorized. the upside of this is all that practise will also teach you how to apply the rules in critical problem solving.

also, there are reams of books available for pennies. go to any used book store and get some old copies, math never goes out of date. even a local highschool or middle school will probably have old books on hand in the basement they are willing to GIVE to you, if you ask.

>> No.6189787

OP, I was decent in math in HS, even placed in advanced classes. Recently decided to go to CC a decade later. I took the placement test and I was a couple questions off from being considered College Level Math. Now I have to take Beginning Algebra, a prep class just so I can take the college algebra course. Shit sucks but I'm going through with it.

>> No.6189794

>>6189787
Same guy, also going for a CS degree.

>> No.6189887
File: 5 KB, 262x292, 0000.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6189608
>I'm in basic algebra for my first semester of college and I'm having a lot of trouble.
>I want to get a degree in Computer Science

yep

>> No.6189983

>>6189887
Well I want to do software development for a career and my uni doesn't offer a degree in softwar engineering.

>> No.6189995

>>6189608
>ever even considering software engineering
>>>/b/

>> No.6190101

>>6189995
lmao