[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 14 KB, 400x293, Perelman,_Grigori_(1966).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6183539 No.6183539 [Reply] [Original]

Hey. I'm gonna go ahead and guess that you guys discuss this sorta thing all the time, but I would still like to discuss it.

Who are your GOATs of the Sciences? Whether it be the obvious ones like Aristotle or Euler, just explain to me in your own words why they were so important. I find these kinds of things to be more interesting when I can put a human face behind it. Euler and his number... Aristotle and all the shit he did. It makes it resonate more.

Anyway, give me your idols. My particular hard on is for a more modern mathematician:

In November 2002, Perelman posted the first of a series of eprints to the arXiv, in which he claimed to have outlined a proof of the geometrization conjecture, of which the Poincaré conjecture is a particular case.

Well he proved whatever he was trying to prove and then this badass refused the Fields Medal.

>> No.6183587

I this CF Gauss is Hall of Fame and definitely my favorite. He shit on all these trendy faker mathematicians of his day and then shit out great undeniable proofs. Then he took it a step further and shit all over the world by creating a new way to look at math using geometric principles applied to geometry. And he paved the way for Riemann and then Albert Einstein.

>> No.6183588

>>6183539

Although he largely goes unheralded Christiaan Huygens does a lot for me in his importance. His impact is easily surpassed by his contemporaries, but it's not as if his influence didn't matter or that some of his insight was less than impressive.

For instance, in crystallography today as most people know. We pass an x-ray through a crystal lattice in order to get a pattern which we can interpret and transform into understanding the unit cell among other amazing properties of structures on the molecular scale.

Huygens did an experiment way back then where he showed by putting crystals in a solution and passing similar fluid waves through them, he could also see these patterns. He elaborated on them, but it always forgotten in the annals of crystallographic and inorganic chemistry history in favor of the Braggs and others.

>> No.6183591

>>6183539
Leibniz, Gauss, Dirac, Green, Newton, Feynman, Tesla are some of my favorites. There are many others but these popped into my mind right now.

>> No.6184206

>>6183539
Gauss was pretty good, but he was a giant Dbag. I read somewhere that we would be about 200 years more advanced in Mathematics if he had shared all his knowledge of Math before he died. Fuck that crap.

Newton was the GOAT. And he was humble. "If I have been allowed to see farther than others, it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants". (Not a direct quote.)