[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 312 KB, 1500x1500, NASAEarth-01.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6080335 No.6080335 [Reply] [Original]

I had a very (very) long post prepared, but it got lost... :/

I'll add it later when I have time but for now I think this is a pretty interesting topic.
Quick Version:
Do we really need AI? What's the point of developing a very complex piece of software and hardware to mimic a human-like brain, when the time could be used to further develop other methods of computing (quantum etc.).
Maybe the human-like process would be useful for certain tasks, and if you know any you can reply, I would love to hear some :)
Apart from being cool, would there really be a point to creating "AI"?

Thanks for reading my Post :)

Excuse the random Image, 4chans being weird :/

>> No.6080344
File: 122 KB, 800x600, 3dfx_Voodoo2_1000.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6080335
The point of AI is that humans can't "learn it all" in 1 lifetime. Instead you need binders full of experts. Even then, you will need to train their replacements from the ground up.

If you had a truly functional general AI you could presumably keep it continuously training in ALL subjects. Thus removing the need to retrain replacements as well as avoiding the need to specialize.

>> No.6080371

>>6080344
I never thought of that...
But couldn't a normal computer be taught most tasks easily? I guess this you're talking about things like subjects that are less "solid" than maths for example. I guess in maths you have a set of basic ideas (multiplication etc) where as a subject like Philosophy is more open to debate. (not suggesting maths isn't a subject you can debate) I guess it would be amazing from a certain view if it were possible to teach a computer/machine to be able to make it's own decisions based on ideas it itself had created, rather than just doing a certain set of instructions. Once you had written the "thought initiating" code, the computer could think for itself maybe. Just an idea, but there's probably another way you'd describe it :)

>> No.6080391

>>6080335

It's not the Bill of Needs. I'ts the Bill of Rights.

>> No.6080396

> Do we really need AI?
define "need".
do we need airplanes or rocket ships?
do we need hammers or knives?
> What's the point of developing a very complex piece of software and hardware to mimic a human-like brain
most AI is not anything like a human brain.
> time could be used to further develop other methods of computing
AI is much easier,
needs a completely different set of skills, from quantum computing.
it's kinda like asking, "why are we researching neuroscience when we could be researching breast cancer?"
> Maybe the human-like process would be useful for certain tasks
Anything a human can do a robot of sufficient complexity will be able to do better.
And there's lots of shit that humans don't like doing.
> Apart from being cool, would there really be a point to creating "AI"?
Humans make errors.
A robotic car will be able to drive closer together, at faster speeds, and with fewer accidents.
Distraction is one of the top causes of accidents.
An AI does not get distracted.

>>6080344
> The point of AI is that humans can't "learn it all" in 1 lifetime.
no. no it isn't.
it's to perform tasks faster and with greater accuracy.

>>6080371
>But couldn't a normal computer be taught most tasks easily?
if a "normal computer" is being "taught" something then that's AI.
AI is not the stuff you see in movies, with humanoid robots.

I can't make out what you are trying to say with the rest of your post.