[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 179 KB, 589x564, 1283716413267.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6045139 No.6045139[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

I live in GTA (Greater Toronto Area), and I'm in third year finishing up a physics/math double major.

what kind of jobs can I get? Do I need a masters? What should be my next steps?

I'm going to take more experimental physics in fourth and fifth year. I'm hoping it'll help.

My original plan was to get into teaching, but seeing the real world ... I fucked up

that being said, I am top of my class, keep getting invited to exclusive clubs like the golden key honour society...etc.
also unlike my class mates, I can communicate very well (interpersonal skills) >>cheap shots at this crappy post

now on paper it seems like I could excel in anything... but then the real world hit me like a ton of bricks.

what I'm limited by my family/wife - need to continue to live in lower ontario ( Canada ) and
what seems like no jobs

can you guys help me out?
any advice?

How hard would it to get a engineers job?

also no I am not going to /adv/ to ask 16 year olds and humanity majors on science careers.

thanks guys for your time

>> No.6045153

sorry, bankers ruined the world for us science folks. If you know how to code you can get a programming job but there's not much for phys/math outside of academia. You can also be a dick and help out the bankers by getting a quant job, but that also requires knowing to code in c++

>> No.6045165
File: 354 KB, 1024x683, 1294388623230.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

woohoo, so how does one work in academia/ teaching without losing ones passion ?

>> No.6045168

>>6045165
good marks + make friends with teachers

>> No.6045244

>>6045165
You have to be good enough where you can basically pick your own research projects.

You need passion to survive in research. You have a better chance of being passionate if you get to work on exactly the research you want to work on.

Research is too competitive right now for a scientist that punches in 9-5 working on a project they find interesting; but, not exciting.

As far as teaching that just depends on what kind of person you are. Do you like building things? I'm someone who likes building things so if teaching were all I was doing I'd feel like I'm not really accomplishing anything. But some people are really passionate about teaching. They just love showing things to fresh minds. Which are you?

>> No.6045760
File: 242 KB, 437x700, tumblr_lgo007NL3b1qfnz6so1_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I find that I really enjoy both, I love to build and I love to teach, in my mind both accomplish something great (If you follow the idea of needing a legacy)

it's sort of like when my prof asked me what I wanted to do, experimental or theoretical physics... I told him I was great at both and I dislike both since its all basic stuff with a lot of bitch work.

I do work on a lot of projects that are more on the engineering side of things: building remote control cars from scratch ( circuit board and everything ), alarm systems for homes, simple things like that

in research how does one find a passion for his research, sure I can see the start being all great " omg omg omg I get to use this awwwesome laser or neutron gun to test a,b, & c " but then when your in the lab day in day out and you find that you accidentally didn't keep your constants like distance for example and weeks of work go down the trash

If I have the wrong mentality please tell me, I'm just freaking out calmly.