[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 46 KB, 618x451, patrickjmt.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6036297 No.6036297 [Reply] [Original]

Why doesn't he just get a PhD ?
He has already published something (with Erdos number 2 I think).

>> No.6036311

They could have picked better books if they were trying to impress me.

>> No.6036314

>>6036311
I hate the whole book scam the US has going on, I don't know if people buy books because they skip lectures to toke up or because the lecturers are trash.

>> No.6036315

Just because you publish something doesnt mean you automatically get a PhD, I published under my Master's and I'm currently a PhD candidate working on my thesis. In order to earn a PhD, you have to have worked under an advisor who recommends a topic for you to work on and research for a given amount of time, then defend in front of a board of others well-versed in the area. Just publishing something doesn't mean you should get a doctorate.

>> No.6036325

>>6036315
>Just publishing something doesn't mean you should get a doctorate
Doesn't it ?

>> No.6036328

you know he's not actually a genius or anything right?

He just explains basic maths concepts in easily walkthroughable form

>> No.6036330

>>6036325

publishing a work and writing, then defending a thesis are two entirely different things

>> No.6036334

>>6036330
I know but if he had success with publishing papers then wouldn't he be a good PhD candidate ?
>>6036328
>you know he's not actually a genius or anything right?
Considering he taught math at a top school I'd say he is by far smarter than anyone on /sci/ at least.

>> No.6036340

>>6036334

not necessarily, paper's can be published without merit, so essentially anyone can do it on any topic. a thesis needs to be factually correct or you'll get torn apart at your debate and the 5-10 years spent researching will be for naught.

Plus has he even publushed any papers or does he just explain basic math stuff?

>> No.6036400

>>6036340
He supposedly has one math paper published with an Erdos number 2.

>> No.6036430

>>6036334

You can publish and still be a complete retard. See: James V. Kohl

He's a medical researcher (with no college degree) that's published in Socioeffective Neuroscience and Psychology, but he has a pet theory that evolution is "nutrient-dependent and pheromone-controlled" and that mutation and selection have nothing to do with adaptive evolution. Everything is apparently due to epigenetic responses to nutrients and pheromones. He'd be laughed out of any biologically-based PhD program.

>> No.6036435

>>6036430
Epigenetics is pretty powerful though as it accumulates over time.

>> No.6036453

>>6036435

It doesn't mean genomic change is completely irrelevant though.

>> No.6036476

>>6036435
>Epigenetics is pretty powerful though as it accumulates over time.

[citation needed]

>> No.6036487

>>6036315
>In order to earn a PhD, you have to...

Thanks captain obvious.

>> No.6036941

As a writer working in the biotech field, I've had my name on two peer-reviewed articles. My only degree (please don't tell anyone) is a fucking useless BFA. Tackling one problem at a time is relatively easy for a quick mind, but it certainly does NOT equate to the dedication it takes to receive an honest doctorate.

>> No.6036953

>>6036941
So could one find your article via google scholar ?

>> No.6036955

>>6036400
>Erdos number 2

that doesn't even fucking mean anything.

>> No.6036968

>>6036953
Had to check, and yes. But in case I gave a false or boastful impression, I am not the first name. My role in such projects is largely interpretive and rhetorical, and my inclusion in the by-lines was kind but not necessary.

>> No.6036973
File: 7 KB, 320x240, 1361656214320.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Three calculus books? Two ODE books? Is he doing research on double,triple integrals and ordinary differential equations?

>> No.6036978

>>6036973

he's doing research on how to pass college entrance exams

>> No.6036985

Why don't many people get PHDs?

This may be a stupid question but most bright people I know who got a degree in maths or physics, none of them went onto master or PHD in either of those.

I kind of always thought with those subjects you really want to push for PHD if it is your passion?

Is it reserved for people on a genius level or something?

>> No.6037008

>>6036985
The PhD market is fucked. Far too many PhDs for far too few jobs. Usually with a PhD you want to do academia, and that career is super-fucked because in addition to there being no jobs, there's also no funding. No funding = no research = no job. Even if you already have tenure schools usually make you pay your own salary with grants, so if you lose your funding (extremely common even at top tier universities) you lose your pay. So you may still have a job, but it doesn't pay anything, so you're basically fired.

Now you could do something outside of academia, but if you wanted to do a PhD chances are you wanted to pursue your own interests, which is something you can only do in academia. Furthermore, there's not much outside of academia for PhDs. You have some private sector R&D jobs, but you don't need a PhD for those, and the PhD doesn't do much for your salary or competitiveness versus a master's.

I'm a neurofag who was planning on doing a PhD all throughout college. However, I found out just how terrible a research career is these days (see above) and now I'm applying to MD/PhD programs since with that combined degree I'll have medicine as a back-up career. I'm having mild success so far (a number of interviews at top 20 schools) but assuming I can't get into med school I've already decided that I'll switch careers to something in IT/software development.

>> No.6037011

>>6036985

there's only a limited number of people that can get a phd each year.

so even if everybody on the planet pushed for a phd, they wouldn't get one.

>> No.6037029

>>6036973
He is doing on how to help retards like me get an A in first and second year UNI and I think that is more admirable than being a labmonkey.

>> No.6037491

>>6036314
lectures are just premade power point slides from the book

>> No.6037782

>>6037029
Inserting my opinion: What's the point of having a solid GPA if you're not going to graduate school? The only time your GPA is looked at (if you're not continuing on to more advanced degrees) is for your FIRST job. Beyond that point, your accomplishments at work matter more than your now out-dated GPA. It seems as if if you are going straight into the workforce, you should have no problems coasting through your undergrad yet still finding a job afterward.

>>6037008
This is a solid answer to why people may not choose the PhD route. I'd be interested in knowing what the market is like as a function of field of study, but from what I know, it appears to be the same.

In the end, although some people pursue PhDs for other reasons, I think most people who elect to get their PhD do so for 'the love of the game,' so to speak. That was/is my reasoning, at least. Having had prior industry experience makes my employment opportunities seem a little brighter; but, talking with others at my university, in general PhDs are considered overqualified for many jobs. You go into the program from your M.S. knowing this, hopefully, and do so with the intent of contributing your blip of knowledge to the pool of knowledge that is the scientific community.