[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 548 KB, 1024x768, Lighthouse.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6032040 No.6032040 [Reply] [Original]

Hi. I'm seeking some advice from any physicsfags around.

I'm graduating next semester with a math degree but I need some science credits. In particular, I need some physics credits. What I would like to do is an independent study in mathematics but pawn it off as a physics department course to get the science credit. So, this leads to my question. What areas of mathematics are invoked regularly in physics that may be related to some math that would be familiar or reach to me. I have experience with the basics: real & complex analysis, algebra, number theory, and topology.

It seems to me that areas like theory of PDEs would be very relevant in physics. As for other areas I have no idea- i've only taken the introductory courses which have only used calculus. Any ideas?

>> No.6032064

Fluid dynamics makes use of differential equations and complex analysis to model fluid flows. Advanced study in quantum mechanics uses functional analysis and some group theory I think. Electrical engineers use linear algebra and diff eqs to solve for voltages and currents in their circuits. They also use complex analysis to model electric fields.

I've heard that real analysis is used in economics, but not in physics as far as I know.

>> No.6032071

>>6032064
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention probability and statistics, which you find most often in quantum physics, thermodynamics and statistical mechanics.

>> No.6032075

>>6032064
Ah, yeah. I forgot about the deep math in QM. There's a lot of functional analysis, representation theory, and other things.

thanks for the input breh! mucho appreciated

>> No.6032138

Numerical analysis.