[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 122 KB, 391x457, tap_that.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5982953 No.5982953 [Reply] [Original]

Serious question:
Have you ever come up with math on your own? Have you maybe even written down an axiom system and worked out the consequences.
Now clearly, I don't demand that the idea haven't been looked at by someone else, but I ask if you ever came up with something original - maybe motivated by something you've learned, but more than and implied problem. So trying to integrate some function you find interesting doesn't coun, but if you figured out a relation in some system it would.

>> No.5983090
File: 99 KB, 561x595, 1375300548933.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.5983091

yes.
I spent a lot of time working on Wahba's problem

>> No.5984648

I discovered that there are fractions with infinitely repeating decimal representation (I was about 7) and 3 years later or so, from <span class="math">a^2+b^2=c^2[/spoiler] I concluded that if two sides of the triangle are equal, there must be a formula <span class="math">c(a)=\dots[/spoiler]

>> No.5984662

I don't know what counts and this is pretty babby tier but I discovered how to calculate the volume of a solid of revolution on my own.

>> No.5984672

I maded a limit function for when certain fractals are connected or not.

>> No.5984674

>>5984672
(or rather proved the existance of that function).

>> No.5984680

I think I've made an axiom system, I don't remember for what though. It is written down somewhere, if I actually did. I think it may have been encoding stuff. But that sounds kinda lame.

I've invented my own notation.

I independently invented Gödel numbering (which is the most trivial thing ever I can't believe it was named after some guy), I think, I once again don't remember.

I discovered how to carry over numbers when adding on my own in grade 2.

I also have found a bunch of quick ways to factor large numbers in a variety of bases.

Not being part of the academic math scene means I pretty much go it alone and try to invent everything myself. I do it for a hobby, so I don't care how much I understand, or what other peoples opinions on math are (I rarely read books etc) I just do it for me.

>> No.5984705

>>5984680
regarding the last statement, don't you think you miss out? With your background curiosity, reading a good math book will be similar to watching a good movie.

>> No.5984764

>>5984705
That is a good question, I've read some pretty profound math things. But honestly it feels like I am going out of my way to read a book and it just feels tedious, and as I said I invented my own notation, I did this because learning the common notation is like "what the fuck am I looking at", it is all over the place and archaic. And you are right I probably am missing out on something, though I am not totally in the dark, sometimes I browse Wikipedia and just pick up general concepts of things. And with this general ideas, I try to build on them. To be honest I am not very successful, I don't want to sound like a genius(pretty sure I don't), because I am not. I'd rather just think about math when I go about my day casually, and day dream of prime numbers.

Though perhaps the real reason is that I lack motivation, and I am lazy.