[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 908 KB, 1262x1281, 3131101631_0af37027a1_o.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5957142 No.5957142 [Reply] [Original]

is it possible to use genetically engineered extremophile bacteria to act as a grey goo in order to terraform venus in the future?
if I remember correctly (may be wrong, if I do please correct me) the only reason we have oxygen in our atmosphere is because the early life forms in earth disposed it as a byproduct in the process of using carbon dioxide to create sugars as an energy source.
and I know that there are bacteria that can divide in a matter of minutes. and I know that there are bacteria that can survive extreme conditions called extremophiles. so is it possible to genetically engineer an extremophiles bacteria that will divide so fast it will basically act as a grey goo to dramatically change the dominant atmospheric elements in Venus in a matter of years or decades in such a way that it will be hospitable to human life?

>> No.5957152

This dense atmosphere produces a run-away greenhouse effect that raises Venus' surface temperature by about 400 degrees to over 740 K (hot enough to melt lead).

>> No.5957158

I don't believe either that there can be any carbon based lifeform that can survive the 735K average temperature on the ground. But the temperature over the clouds is something between -180 and 240C° and the pressure there must be lower too. So maybe there?

>> No.5957159

>>5957142
>green
It takes over a 100 earth days for venus to make one rotation. Half the planet would devoid of plant life.

>> No.5957165

>making an ocean on Venus
>setting up a magneto sphere
>ozone layer
>breathable atmosphere

Terraforming is such a pain in the ass. :(

>> No.5957170

ITT juvenile thought experiments of virgins

>> No.5957173

>>5957165
these problems too can be solved using bacteria as a grey goo I guess. if you can engineer bacteria that will use that venus atmospheric elements to create different elements, then it's possible create an ocean (not only using bacteria, but using bacteria to provide the needed elements)
for setting up a magnetic field we will probably crush asteroids that will contain a lot of iron and then inject the iron to the core (probably not such a feasible idea but I guess it's the only one I come up with, also if venus already have enough iron it will be easier but still kinda hard)

>> No.5957191
File: 102 KB, 640x547, Colors-of-Mercury-1-640x547.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Here's a perfectly fine moon. You're going to have to foot the bill for towing yourself though.

>> No.5957193

>>5957191
good god, I'm just imagining the size of the rocket required to move Mercury into Earth orbit

>> No.5957198

>>5957142
>grey goo
Wrong use of the term.

If we can produce a kind of floating algae that would start converting atmospheric CO2 into more stable forms that would settle down on the surface, then maybe.

>>5957159
The temperature differential between the day and night side would probably be diminished by the movement of air in the atmosphere.

>>5957165
Yes.

>>5957170
I guess you live in the moment and never plan ahead.

>> No.5957210

>>5957193
Imagine a normal rocket, now scale it up so that the satellite they carry is the size or mercury.

there you go

>> No.5957213

>>5957142
I think the real is, how can we sell this concept to mtv to make real housewives of venus so there is a commercially viable reason for this. think in terms of profit OP, I know a lot of dreamers don't like it, but the world runs on profit.

>> No.5957215

>>5957198
Here is the problem.
Venus just has to much.
It should be renamed Tomuchia

To much carbon, it would take tens of thousands of years for bacteria to even put a dent in the atmosphere and even then it would all just end up back in the atmosphere in no time at all.

To much heat, it rains metal on the slopes of the mountains and would take thousands of years to cool down even if you stripped the atmosphere.

To much gas, The atmosphere is so thick that if you were to terraform it, you would need to send so much gas into space that the only feasible way would be to crash an asteroid into it to strip the entire surface from the planet.

To much night, every day would be the last one for the plants, most plants don't do particularly well when left in the dark for hundreds of days.

To much Sulfuric acid, do i even need to explain?

The only thing Venus is lacking in is hydrogen, it all boiled into space millions of years ago, that means no water, no temperature regulation and no Hydrogen for bacteria to make organic compounds that they need to survive.

Venus is fucked, your better off Engineering life for Titan or living on Europa than dealing with that hot pile of shit

>> No.5957216

why venus, why not mars?

>> No.5957217

>>5957173
i like that one, crush asteroids and inject them into the core. so this isn't happening next year, how bout just getting it spinning first, never know exactly why magnetosphere isn't working.
actually I'd spend the next 500 years developing extremophiles that will be able to handle the environment, and call it a day

>> No.5957220

>>5957215
>thousands of years
We know. Only fools expect terraforming to be some arts&crafts project that'll be finished in a few years.

If the problem was an easy one, there'd be nothing to discuss, hence these threads.

>> No.5957223

alright I got it, we tow mercury into venus at maximum warp, hopefully injecting the iron of mercury into the core giving it spin and blowing off a lot of atmosphere.
we are going to have to make a solar sail about half the size of the solar system to get mercury up to speed.

its just called inventing the wheel folks, humanity is saved.

>> No.5957226

>>5957173
>if you can engineer bacteria that will use that venus atmospheric elements to create different elements
That is physically impossible

>then it's possible create an ocean
That is even more impossible

>for setting up a magnetic field we will probably crush asteroids that will contain a lot of iron and then inject the iron to the core
THAT'S NOT HOW THE MAGNETIC FIELD WORKS DUMMY!

>crush asteroids and inject them into the core
>inject them into the core
Please think about what you are typing before you type it

>never know exactly why magnetosphere isn't working.
We know exactly why it isn't working

Ok look:
1 you can't turn elements into other elements, that is alchemy not biology.

2 Venus has no magnetic field because it is geologically dead just like Mars, venus is has no liquid iron core any more, not molten core means no magnetic field and no plate tectonics.
aka Venus is a dead world.

4 Venus is dead because it has no moon to stabilise its orbit and tidally heat it
unless you want to slap a rocket on Mercury your fucked

3 you can not create bacteria that live on Venus, It has none of the essential building blocks of life, no water, no oxygen, no organic compounds, no available hydrogen.
on top of this it has crippling pressure, its hot enough to melt lead, it rains the one strongest acid know CONSTANTLY, the surface is covered in molten metal, there is toxic chemicals everywhere, a gust of wind is like being hit by a steamroller, the day is longer than Venusian year and on top of that deadly radiation floods in all day all night.

>> No.5957227
File: 197 KB, 294x256, IMG_0093.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5957223
>hopefully injecting the iron of mercury into the core giving it spin

>> No.5957229

isn't the atmospere composed mainly of sulfur?

>> No.5957230

>>5957229
sulfur and CO2

>> No.5957241

>>5957227
this is just a problem of size and engineering, think big guys
I gave you guys the solution, slamming Mercury into Venus fast, like I want to loop Mercury out and slingshot it around the gas planets swinging back by the sun , and then hitting Venus into Triton so that it cools the surface of the molt ant spinning mecury/venus.
In the process stealing the water and nitrogen of triton and maybe stealing a moon or two in the process, maybe IO
derp

>> No.5957246

>>5957241

the easiest way is to drain the atmospehere, smashing planets together is going to take longer.

>> No.5957254

>>5957241
You wouldn't want an energetic collision.
All the energy will turn the planet molten.

Sure, the collision and the volcanism after that will help blow off some of the atmosphere, but the excess energy will still need to radiate into space.

The gentler the collision is, the faster we can continue with the next phase.

>> No.5957261

>>5957254
So make them dance around one another, in a spiral of doom.

>> No.5957276

>>5957261
That would actually probably be the preferred method. That way the collision will induce a higher spin on Venus and the spiral will bleed off some of the energy before the collision.

>> No.5957392

>>5957261
>>5957276

Using a close orbit to impart rotational velocity. Thats a pretty cool idea.

>> No.5957397

Am I the only one thinking that it would be impossible to predict the evolution of these bacteria?
Nanotech or macroscopic traditional terraforming seems more sensible to me.

>> No.5957552

>>5957142

In order to terraform Venus you would have to deal with the big problems first. Venus's biggest problem is its orbit and spin. You would have to either

A: Speed up the planets orbit
B: Make its rotate faster.

If you did this the atmospheric heat would be able to dissipate more quickly cooling the planets surface and allowing bacterial colonies.

I have no idea how to make a planet spin faster or increase its orbit. You could try crashing a huge asteroid into it or something or letting nukes off around the equator.

>> No.5957564

>>5957552
>A: Speed up the planets orbit
You mean, slingshot it out of the solar system?

>> No.5957659

>>5957213
No, humanity runs on whims.

>> No.5957805

>>5957226
While the OP is retarded, you're almost equally so. Life synthesizes different elements and compounds to other elements and compounds and chemicals all the time, and Venus DOES have a molten, living core. The reason it doesn't have a magnetosphere is simply because it rotates so damn slowly.

>> No.5959236

>>5957210
Nope. That thing would collapse under its own weight and form a new planet.

>> No.5959237

>>5957216
They're both shit. Venus has no moon. The rotation is shit. No magnetic field. Mars moons are too small. No magnetic field. To light to hold an atmosphere.

Any planet that's worth being terraformed would already harbor life.

>> No.5959238

>>5957564

It would be perfectly possible to move it into a higher orbit without slingshotting it out of the solar system. By 'Speed up' I mean move further away from the sun.

>> No.5959239

>>5957805
Look up the term "element", stupid. chemical reactions are not transmutations, fissions or fusions.

>> No.5959240

Maybe we can terroform earth into a suitable place to live before we