[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 15 KB, 269x312, feynman.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5948891 No.5948891 [Reply] [Original]

Hi sci,

I have a small question for you: I'm planning to study math, but I'm thinking about also doing physics, so I'd be doing two bachelors. How much harder is it to do both? Any experience? (My iq is measured in the 150-160 range by the way.)

>> No.5948923

If you want to put in the extra work go for it, you can always drop one if you are overwhelmed.

>> No.5948960

Maths and physics have a nice synergy, so it's a good combination.

>> No.5948967

depends on the university you attend. Some have you so loaded on gen eds that you won't have time for it, others require classes for math majors that are too much out of the way for physics majors (core classes at conflicting times, etc.)

But if you think you think there is a reasonable chance you can pull it off then by all means go for it, you can always settle on turning on of them into a minor. Just make sure you plan out all the classes you would need for both of them and make sure you have the time to take all the classes before you graduate.

>> No.5949013

>>5948891
I suggest neither if you actually think that our IQ has any bearing on how well you will perform in college.

>> No.5949033

I know one guy who is going for Math and Physics with teaching credentials. He says his only complaint is that he can't take classes that are very specialized simply because of the sheer amount of classes he has to take ( Math majors for example take a hefty amount of Math electives, but since he is also in Physics and going for teaching cert, he doesn't have the space for it, same for the Physics side ). Idk how different it would be without the teaching cert, but just keep that in mind. You can also ditch one or the other if you don't like one. IQ doesn't meant shit, work ethic and enthusiasm mean more.

>> No.5949056

>>5948967
>you can always settle on turning on of them into a minor.
I so much wish my school had a Physics minor.

>> No.5949101

>>5949033
I'm a physics and math student, I had looked at the education program at my school and it just had so many extra classes that didn't contribute gen eds that I would have had my schedule set if decided to do education as well. Without the education classes I have a lot more room in my schedule and I'll be able to take an additional 4 physics classes beyond what's required and still get all my gen eds in 4 years.

Honestly it's pretty easy at my school and a lot of people do it, math is actually one of our bigger majors. The physics major requires us to take 3-5 math classes depending on placement and the math major allows one of the junior/senior level physics classes to count towards the math major requirements.

I have to take 4 extra math classes to get the major and 3 of those classes I would have taken anyway because I intend to go to graduate school for physics. I'm taking one extra math class on top of that since I get to go to Hungary and study number theory. So that's bretty kewl. I might take more courses, I'm not sure yet.

It definitely depends on the school, but based on most people I know at other schools it seems fairly easy to do both.

>> No.5949111

>>5948891
At the risk of losing your anonymity, at what school do you intend to do this? I can speak from experience that at the university of Amsterdam, it's laughably easy.

>> No.5949215

So you want to be unemployable anywhere outside of academia huh?

>> No.5949677

>>5949033
Ok thanks, I'm not going for a teaching certificate, so that should give me some space.

>> No.5949678

>>5949111
Amsterdam, Utrecht, Leiden and Nijmegen are all options. That's right, I too, am a dutchfag :P. Do you know anything about the other ones (besides Amsterdam) from stories etc.?

>> No.5949681

>>5949677
Yes. The university or the basement remains.

>> No.5949685

>>5948967
True that.

>> No.5949690

>>5949101
Hungary sounds cool, good luck with number theory.