[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 227 KB, 600x360, hue.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5944251 No.5944251 [Reply] [Original]

Need help /sci/. At my university, math majors have to take a non-math science/engineering elective. I'm currently enrolled in Intro to Biology, but I just found out the professor is pretty bad. It also has a 3.5 hour lab. Here are my other choices:

Geology
Intro to Weather and Climate
Intro to Nuclear Engineering
Intro to Human Nutrition

Not really any good choices, but they're the only ones that fit. Nutrition, being the most non-science, has the highest grades. Weather and Climate has the lowest grades. Not really looking for the easiest, but for something that would be interesting.

>> No.5944252

>>5944251
Nuclear Engineering. Obviously

>> No.5944259

>>5944251
>Intro to Biology
>Geology
>Intro to Weather and Climate
>Intro to Nuclear Engineering
>Intro to Human Nutrition

>non-math[ematical?] science/engineering

Kill yourself.

>> No.5944261

>>5944259
By that I meant a class not in the mathematics department.

>> No.5944279

>>5944261
Then what's up with that list of utter crap? There's plenty of better classes more interesting/useful to math majors

Intro Physics I/II/III (learn the language)
Into to C++ (learn to code)
Digital Logic (in the EE/CompE department, learn how to build a calculator)
Computer Architecture (in the EE/CompE department, learn how a computer works)
Junior Electromagnetism I/II (put your vector calculus to use)
Junior Mechanics (put your ODEs and calculus of variations to use)
Quantum Mechanics I/II (put your Abstract Algebra, Linear Algebra, Real and Complex Analysis to work)
Numerical Weather Modeling (put your PDEs and Numerical Analysis skills to work)

or at the very least:

Gen Chem I/II (hit on all the premed girls)

>> No.5944296

>>5944279
Because I have to choose from a list and these are the only ones that can fit my schedule for this semester and I need more hours. However I did look up your stuff:

>Intro Physics
I've already taken Physics I and II
>Intro to C++
A class I want to take. Sadly they only offer it every few years. Plus this class is under a different requirement so I couldn't take it for this anyway. Instead I'm taking MATLAB to meet that req.
>Digital Logic
Requires an EE class I haven't taken.
>computer architecture
Same as above. The said classes do not meet this elective req I want to fill.
>Junior Electromagnetism
Something I am able to take and would fill the requirement, but all the classes are full.
>Mechanics
Same as above
>Quantum Mechanics
Requires the mechanics class
>numerical weather modeling
Requires a mathematics class I haven't taken yet
>Gen Chem I and II
Already taken Chem 1, but none of the chemistry classes fill this requirement. Chemical engineering class do.

It's a really weird requirement. Most of the stuff that fills it are engineering and higher level physics courses. However there are a LOT of courses on this list like Plant Biology, Genetics, Atmospheric Sciences, etc that seem to have every damn class in their department on the list. I would post it, but the list is very long and most stuff I can't take anyway.

>> No.5944326

bump

>> No.5944336

Couldn't you meet this requirement a different semester when you can take something better and meet other requirements this semester?

Otherwise Nuclear Engineering or Geology.

>> No.5944341

>>5944296
>I would post it, but the list is very long and most stuff I can't take anyway.

link to the web page

>but all the classes are full

Go to the physics department and ask to get it. Junior physics courses usually aren't too overfilled

>> No.5944421

>>5944341
There isn't one, it's in our degree audit you have to log in to. Can't use one of those plugins to screenshot the whole page because it's in a frame and screenshotting myself would take a long time.

However, on the math major page it does have the guidelines of what is on the list:
>Science/Engineering/Business/Statistics courses must be selected from the following: BIO/ZO 160, BIO 18*, BIO 200>, CE ***, CH ***, ECE ***, ECI 305, ECI 416, EMS 470, EMS 480, GN ***, ISE ***, MAE ***, MB ***, MEA ***, NE ***, NTR ***, OR ***, PY 300>, PB ***, ZO ***, ACC***, BUS***, EC***, CSC***, ST 300> (except not the courses CH 100, CH 111, CSC 100, CSC 200, ST 311, or ST 361) Note: BUS courses are restricted to BUS majors/minor.
Ignore the business and statistics courses, already have that. Also I was wrong, I can take chemistry classes for it.
http://www2.acs.ncsu.edu/reg_records/crs_cat/directory.html

>>5944336
The only non-major reqs I have left are Free Electives and some GEPs. I'll start fiddling with them to see if I can fit anything, but I don't think so.

>> No.5944439

>>5944251

Geology.
Evidence Based, no Politics, No confusing statistical hand-waving, Not pointless (human nutrition).

>> No.5944442
File: 104 KB, 432x480, fat fuck.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5944439
>Not pointless (human nutrition)

agreed

>> No.5944459

>>5944439
>geology
>no politics
What is paleontology and paleogeology

>> No.5944477
File: 55 KB, 831x263, geology-joke.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5944439
No math

>> No.5944537

OP here, may have found a better solution. I need to take a statistics class and 'Probability and Statistics for Engineers' works. Only problem is that the professor who teaches it just got his PhD and there are no records of him.

>> No.5944549

>>5944537
>using rate my professor to decide on classes

gtfo

>> No.5944557

>>5944549
I at least look at them. It's important to know what kind of professor you have.

>> No.5944575

>>5944549
Glad I did, I was going to take a gen ed psychology requirement and found out through it that the professor was a racist black guy.

>> No.5944640

>>5944575
>found out through it that the professor was a racist black guy.
How does this affect you mastering the material and passing the course?

>> No.5944651

>>5944459
As someone studying geology in the UK, I think you mean

>What is fracking and fracking and fracking and holy shit stop talking about fracking people

>>5944640
I know people who refuse to listen to a word a lecturer says because they don't like the guy. Stupid, but that's how some people work.

>> No.5944660

>>5944640
It doesn't but some useful information can be found on these sites like how they do lectures, homework, exams, things to know, etc.

>> No.5944667

>>5944575
>psychology professor
>not mentally ill

HAHAHAHAHA

Every psychologist has at least killed their own mother and/or siblings.