[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 28 KB, 300x279, logic.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5933755 No.5933755 [Reply] [Original]

Hi /sci/,

I have 3 questions:
1. I was wondering what the normal "leveling up" is in math. What does one usually learn after calculus and after that and after that? Or isn't there a standard route and/or when does it start to differentiate?
2. I've taken math until pre-calc, but I've also taken classes in propositional, predicate and modal logic and I did some set theory. How hard is calculus and what comes after that compared to that shizzle?
3. What would be the minimum IQ-score for a Fields Medal? I'm not implying that I'm able to get one or planning to get one...although I know it's every /sci/entist secret wet dream.

>> No.5933761

Don't go anywhere OP, I'll answer in a second. I have to take a fake ogre shit first

>> No.5933768

>>5933755

1. It's after calculus and linear algebra that the differences really start. Engineers and low tier sciences go towards multi /diff eq /complex variable; while math and perhaps some high sciences go to analysis /algebra, though after that there's not really a fixed path.

2. Calculus is not hard at all.

3. IQ means nothing.

>> No.5933771

>>5933755
1. after calculus linear algebra, differential equations, and real analysis are common to come next
2. calculus courses tend to be easy because they are computational based
3. basing these types on IQ is a foolish mistake, there are many things that are involved in such a thing

>> No.5933769

1)

If you pursue mathematics after Calculus, you probably will first take some courses on introduction to proofs and abstract mathematics. Then these are some of the possible subjects you will take

Number Theory
Abstract Algebra
Graph Theory
Topology
Real/Complex Analysis

2) In terms of how hard is Calculus? Well most likely you will take a Calculus class that is driven towards science/engineering majors who are only there to get the math as a tool. This means all the math you will be doing from Calc I-III will be rote computation where you are fed formulas and you have to just produce results.

After that you will probably do some Diff EQ and Linear Algebra (first 200 level) and these probably will still be primarily computation based.

After that..I'd say it gets quite a bit harder, but at the same time not really? Once you get into "math major math" for the most part computation is gone, and now you are dealing with proofs and abstract concepts.

3) Uhmm...Well I don't know about how IQ scores and Fields Medal relates...But you have to be pretty damn smart.

>> No.5933779

>>5933768
> IQ means nothing.
I lol'd

>> No.5933822

having a high IQ validated by an online IQ test completely forgives you from failing classes because "they were so easy i couldn't even pay attention"

>> No.5933836

>>5933779
but it does mean nothing

>> No.5934423

>>5933836
>b-but it does mean...
no.jpg

>> No.5934438

>>5933755
Amazon.com
Riley Hobson & Bence.
Look at the table of contents. Those are the basics of engineering/physics.

When you get that down ask someone who does mathematics and they'll blow your mind with all the shit you still don't know.

There is no "after calculus". It keeps going for ever and ever until you fart unicorns and the whole world has turned into a magical place of enlightened understanding.

About that time your wearing watches on both hands, don't bathe and probably can't carry a conversation.

>> No.5934440
File: 92 KB, 959x617, math +.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5933755
Advance math is not learned linearly

>> No.5934450

> I was wondering what the normal "leveling up" is in math.
practice
the urge to look for reasons, patterns, symmetries, invariants..etc.
the appreciation of mathematical beauty, elegance..etc.
>but I've also taken classes in propositional, predicate and modal logic and I did some set theory
except for propositional calculus and NST which makes so much sense, most of them is controversial, ongoing or crackpot mathematics, if you can make sense of these, you should be either fine on calculus or "trapped" in a maze of settlement which is also fine.
>How hard is calculus and what comes after that compared to that shizzle?
My impression is that there are too many obstacle techniques in this area. Practice makes perfect but i don't really like calculus myself.
>What would be the minimum IQ-score for a Fields Medal?
You are a joke.

>> No.5934455

>>5934450
*obsure

>> No.5934459

>>5933779
>>5933836
>>5934423
debate of the century