[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 757 KB, 1920x1080, 20130722_annotated_earth-moon_from_saturn_1920x1080.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5920054 No.5920054 [Reply] [Original]

Why aren't there thousands of stars shining in the background?

Why is the earth shining so much?

(from http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/photos/))

>> No.5920068

because it's a sound stage in New Mexico

>> No.5920073

the thing you believe to be pixels really aren't

>> No.5920081

>Why aren't there thousands of stars shining in the background?

Why should there be?

>Why is the earth shining so much?

Because it reflects light from the Sun into the camera, and the exposure level of the camera means the amount of light it takes in is at the upper level of it's sensors.

>> No.5920348

They shop this pictures to appeal to the public, they erase all the stuff that "shouldn't be there", like stars and other stuff

>> No.5920356

OP, photography doesn't show exactly what is there, ever.

What it shows is what is there [that shines enough light onto the sensors] [during that much exposure time].

(I put in brackets so everyone would see two separate criteria; there are more, but these are the major ones.)

Smaller stars do not shine very much light, so if the exposure time isn't long enough, they do not show up.

(Brighter things in the same view also reduce exposure time, so the rings reflecting so near would have shortened the exposure time.)

>> No.5920440

>>5920054
You should have also asked "why is the earth so large". Nasa explained this on their pages, long exposure time causes brighter objects to saturate and appear larger.

>> No.5921164

Legitamate question here. Why do photos of other planets look so fake? I don't mean that it looks like a shitty photoshop, but it reminds me of a CGI image almost.

>> No.5921181

>>5921164
I think most gas planets just don't look very real due to being, well, mostly gas. Same goes for Venus, with the dense atmosphere. We're too used to seeing our Earth and the Moon.