[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 180 KB, 675x900, 1293052616033.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5906680 No.5906680 [Reply] [Original]

I'm going to be taking calculus when school starts up again, and I have a particular fear of mathematics. What advice, books, and online resources could you guys give so I can not only know what ever is coming my way in class, but more importantly, I can have an INTUITIVE knowledge and understanding of calc.

Thank you.

>> No.5906707

>In Mathematics you don't understand things. You just get used to them.

If you want to make your time in class easier, the best thing to do is lots of practice questions in elementary algebra, trigonometry, functions and graphs of functions. See any Precalculus textbook.

>> No.5906738

>>5906680
for the millionth time
khan academy
patrickjmt
mit ocw
paul's math notes

>> No.5906758

>>5906707
Seconding this. I'm taking calc II this summer and I realize that somehow I missed/forgot a whole bunch of algebra and precalc, so I'm pretty much learning that on the job. The calculus concepts I can generally grasp pretty quickly; most of my difficulties have been algebra-related.

>> No.5906802

And if you want to try/do some online type stuff, corsera was alright in regards to some learning. There might be one or two free courses available as a supplementary that'll get done before you start school again.

>> No.5906820

>>5906738

I'm just asking advice on learning calc. Which is why I said, intuitive, in all caps.

>> No.5906928
File: 442 KB, 644x536, saganinstitute.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5906820
Getting an "intuitive knowledge" of calculus is going to be pretty much impossible unless you do a lot of calculus and study hard. Looking at lots of sample problems and their solutions, and doing problems yourself, and memorizing formulas and noticing connections between them is the best way to get there. You may understand why certain things are happening, or ought to happen, but still not be able to solve half the problems that come your way.
TL;DR: Don't expect to have an intuitive knowledge of calc without putting in a lot of time and energy and grunt work. It's worth it though; calc is way more interesting and fun than the math you have done before, and once you get past some initial hurdles, if you know your algebra and trig, you are in good shape. Godspeed, OP.

>> No.5907248

>>5906928
Noted. Thanks man.