[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 1.50 MB, 647x648, 1367005964181.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5890946 No.5890946 [Reply] [Original]

Degree/Major in Astronomy, good idea or bad idea? I love space and science and all. But anyone have any idea about the field?

>> No.5890947

>>5890946
only if you truly love it, there's not likely to be much money in it

>> No.5890953

stupid idea. a degree should earn you money. choose wisely or don't bother going.

>> No.5891026

>>5890946
Choose something related to your interest in astronomy that can earn, like aerospace engineering or meteorology (which can be applied to both terrestrial weather as well as research into extraterrestrial weather/atmospherics)

>> No.5891077

There is a >90% likelihood you will regret specializing in astrophysics.

If you are dedicated, do your undergraduate in physics and take electives in astro. Then get a job. Just get any job, and hold it for a year. If you still value astro enough to deal with unemployment, you have the tools needed to go and get your PhD in it.

Oh, you weren't thinking about actually doing astro with less than a PhD, were you?

>> No.5891078

>>5891077
Fuck I'm tarded. My bad, I misread.

Regardless, exactly what do you plan to DO that an Astronomy degree would help with?

Not trying to be adversarial, but seriously, you are very very likely to regret specializing in that.

>> No.5891082

>>5891078
get a job as a teacher, and teach the kids about the stars and beyond

>> No.5891173

>>5890946
I have an MS in astro (terminal program). The job market hasn't been bad, but hasn't been terrific either. Although I'm limited location-wise because I'm tied to a girl going to med school.

There's lots of cool jobs at observatories, schools, NASA, and things like that if you are willing to relocate and possibly keep odd hours and live in sometimes remote places.

Sadly, at places like JPL, NASA, Lockheed, and so on there are likely 10 engineering jobs for every one scientist. And the scientists they want usually have PhD's.

I'll probably go back for a PhD in astro, because I like teaching college and love being immersed in the field.

As others have hinted, there's not tremendous money in it. Don't go thinking you'll starve, though. You end up knowing physics, programming, mathematics, and research skills.