[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 93 KB, 800x1067, zebrawood_butcher_block_dining_table_7731.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5890876 No.5890876 [Reply] [Original]

Why shouldn't people with STEM degrees get re certified every few years,like those in the IT world?

>> No.5890879

>>5890876
because they know their pathetic and undignafied zombies

>> No.5890887

>>5890879
who are you talking about?

A IT certification that would last your entire life would be a joke.
Look at how fast technology advances.

Surely it would not be any different with STEM education.

>> No.5890912

Their
They're
science intellecheluls

>> No.5890937

Degree implies that you know something, certification implies you are qualified to do something, right?

There's a lot of STEM jobs that require research, even minor research on the job, and research, which is documented, is ideally a far greater measure of competence than certification.

Also, STEM careers are *ideally* the ones doing the advancing, thus it could be difficult to require re-certification.

I'm a few drinks in and can't into google, but I *think* there is re-certification in STEM careers, at least the more applied careers.

>> No.5890939

You're right. I mean look at how often things like trig, algebra, and calculus change.

>> No.5890962

>>5890887
>Surely it would not be any different with STEM education.

Science, Engineering, and medicine do not evolve nearly as quickly as technology today.

>> No.5890977

>>5890937

Correct, an STEM degree doesn't guarantee that you know exactly what you're doing beyond a basic foundation. Unless you're already an expert, generally have to do some research to do anything useful.

When you finish an engineering degree, you take the FE exam to be an "engineer in training", then after 8 years working in the field, you take the PE exam to be a "professional engineer".

>> No.5890984

Because the laws of physics haven't changed for the last 20 billion years.