[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 51 KB, 920x830, entre1[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5858644 No.5858644 [Reply] [Original]

>Be highest GPA double major in biological/computer engineering at prestigious school
>won previous contests before for software packages for biological devices (hardware)

Today, a bunch of kids from the school of business contact me with an offer:
>they have a shitty idea for an app for bio purposes that they think will make millions
>not realistic at all, they have no knowledge of bio for practicality
>offer me 10% of the rewards....
>expect me to develop app, write reports, run simulations, contact manufacturers about specifics, etc.
>ask what they are doing
>"marketing" and hiring someone to make a website

Seriously, WTF? Do people that are in management courses in undergrad think they can really pull this shit? I have much experience in networking and competing for these types of contests.

I am somewhat offended that they even thought of these terms to bargain a shitty idea? Is this what real work in industry is like? I worked with a few top VPs before and they said that they would rather teach an engineer business than hire a business man at a top position who knows nothing.

I really hope these idiots don't get any top positions or that would reflect the stupidity of our culture.

>> No.5858659
File: 762 KB, 300x170, yuko mio laughing.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

10%? 10%?!?!?!?!?! You're designing the actual product and those Jews want 90% for 'marketing'?!?!

>> No.5858666

the saddest part is you'd be lucky if you got this working for a company

>> No.5858677

I think it's because they believe that they own the product because they came up with the idea. Fucking idiots.

>> No.5858679

>>5858644

Say hi to capitalism, son.

>> No.5858676

>>5858659
Typical capitalists.

>> No.5858688

>>5858659
>>5858644
Having been to numerous conferences and contests, what is more important is execution rather than imagination.

You get taught that being creative is important- and while that is true - if you cannot execute it, you are worthless to the company. Those kids are just idiots and they will learn their place soon.

Industry wants people that both have creativity and the technical experience to know how to execute an idea. This does not mean you work on the idea yourself, you usually hand this off to someone lower and break up the work amongst people getting paid ~50k/year.

Source: I work at a engineering firm and climbed up the corporate ladder really quickly. You would be surprised how voicing your opinion with a solid understanding of technical details can get you connected with higher ups. One promotion after the others, I always found ways to not impress my boss, but my boss's boss. With that strategy I'm getting paid a ton with bonuses and other benefits.

Of course, the stress also becomes higher but I love my job and getting results from managing how others do work.

The kids that come in with just an undergrad business degree are usually disregarded from jobs since we know they lack any expertise to provide any useful work. Also, no one will hire an undergrad or MBA that just finished to lead a project.

>> No.5858696

Welcome to neoliberalism.

>> No.5858707
File: 39 KB, 500x500, make my product for me.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5858644
pic related

>> No.5858708

>>5858688
>Those kids are just idiots and they will learn their place soon.
Their place as property speculators/rent-seekers or their place as management and CEOs?

>> No.5858720
File: 38 KB, 400x400, business man website.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5858677
I saw a macro of this dude that said some shit like "working is easy", "ideas are hard". Also some more along the lines of spending all day "working by coming up with ideas".

>> No.5858729

>>5858688
>This does not mean you work on the idea yourself, you usually hand this off to someone lower and break up the work amongst people getting paid ~50k/year.
I bet you get paid at least ten times that of those underlings as well, despite being useless in comparison. Typical management.

>> No.5858732

>>5858708
They will not reach CEO position with just a degree in management. While this may have been sufficient in the past, the corporations are realizing that you cannot have someone lead a tech company with no background in the discipline.

If you look any many engineering firms now, the usual management positions are given to PhDs or people who have worked up their way from ScientistI/II -> Project lead -> Manager.

You simply cannot have someone managing work when they don't understand how electronics, biological processes, etc work. For example, when explaining physical limits of a product, the boss needs to understand the terms when communicating and trying to get investors to put money into the company.

For my job, I currently spend a lot of time communicating among investors, surgeons that use our products, patients if they agree to discuss, the engineers at my company to give feedback, and the marketing team. Its a intensive process and a wide amount of skills I need, and it is challenging to change my cap from going from CAD designs and Fourier transforms of signals for image reconstruction, to talking to the patient about our product quality.

Nonetheless, I am picking LOTS of skill, and getting great connections as well as promotions. I would advise those of you who think you are smart technically to start going to networking nights around your city and college events.

If you cannot communicate your ideas and fill in different roles, you WILL NOT rise. I have seen many "genius" level get stuck at the 60k mark since they suck at presenting their work.

>> No.5858751

>>5858644
Just ignore them, they have yet to realize that the their highest prospects is ending up in middle management with a mid-tier salary. I don't know where this attitude comes from, but it is not grounded in reality.

In a developing economies 99% of new companies and subsequent jobs and business are created by Engineers, in my country the word "Entrepreneurs" literally refers to an Engineer who's trying to produce a new product.
In established economies the difference is that you can't create new companies because you'll crushed by established companies, so you end working for other companies and never get to start your own as in developing economies

>I worked with a few top VPs before and they said that they would rather teach an engineer business than hire a business man at a top position who knows nothing.
Yes of course, think about it, what use a business degree really? They haven't learned shit. Engineers do everything they do in a 1-4 credit course during their undergrad. SEM majors in generally hired above commerce/business degree holders in all industry's (including even banking and such) because holding SEM degrees means you're smart (strictly speaking about accredited degrees in non-shit education countries) and capable of learning what you'll need to do your job more quickly.

>>5858666
You're not supposed to get shit while working for a company, that's the point. For example I work for a small chemical manufacturing company as engineer and I only answer to the CEO (who created the company and is also a Chemical Engineer). Because it's a small company I have lot of creative freedom and generally I choose my projects. If I were to develop anything using his labs and equipment, or even with my own resources and time while under contract being paid a salary, not only is it illegal for me to withhold it/attempt to profit from it, but I would consider it morally appalling.

>> No.5858759

>>5858751
>I don't know where this attitude comes from
Business schools are nothing but a big hyping machine that spurts out motivated half-clever doers.

>> No.5858766

>>5858644
I'm guessing you've never been to clientcopia.com

>> No.5858768

>>5858688
Right, but I'm assuming you only got to your position after working as pure/junior Engineer for a few years. People don't tend to realize that Engineering management is result of both competence and seniority/experience in the industry. There are of course people that do engineering their entire careers, but while being paid less than Emanagers they still tend to make a lot of money.

>> No.5858775

>>5858729
His job consists of more than bossing people around and he is likely more than capable of doing each of the jobs he underlings can do.

>> No.5858777

>>5858775
Yup, this is me
>>5858732

Anyways, as I explained in that post, there are many smart people that simply cannot communicate or "change" personality while dealing with different clients. If you can't adapt, you can't be at the top.

>> No.5858799

>>5858777
There's a point where you're actually revelant to the thread, and there's a point where you're just waving your dick around.

>> No.5858804

Industrial engineer > business major

Seriously why the hell do we need such a shitty degree?

>> No.5858825

>>5858751
>You're not supposed to get shit while working for a company, that's the point. For example I work for a small chemical manufacturing company as engineer and I only answer to the CEO (who created the company and is also a Chemical Engineer). Because it's a small company I have lot of creative freedom and generally I choose my projects. If I were to develop anything using his labs and equipment, or even with my own resources and time while under contract being paid a salary, not only is it illegal for me to withhold it/attempt to profit from it, but I would consider it morally appalling.
Good grief, what slavishness.

>> No.5858832

They are business majors, What did you honestly expect?

>> No.5858838

Welcome to the Jews, you're not going to make any product, money, or have any job without agreeing to those terms.

They could've stopped it, but they didn't.

>> No.5858858

>>5858825
>slavishness

I don't know what entitled neoliberal shithole you were educated in, but in the real world things are more rational and fair.

If I wanted to start my company (which I eventually will as I live in a developing economy) I would be taking all the risks and therefore be entitled to all the profit. If I'm risking someone else's money and have a cosy, stable income, then the guy who signs my checks, in addition to giving me training and mentorship is entitled to what I produced, not-withstanding the big bonuses if I do a good job.

tl;dr: You want money, work for yourself not someone else. This is a well known consequence of capitalism. Though I would advise you to get some experience first or you will fail.

>> No.5858879

>>5858644

what would constitute a fair deal for you?

>> No.5858890

>>5858879
I'm pretty sure OP or any rational individual wouldn't want to waste time working with these idiots even if he got 99.9% of the profits.

>> No.5858917

>>5858879
I wouldn't mind working at 50:50 considering that they would put the same amount of effort.

Its not like they are investing money into it. They are not benefiting me or the idea by doing nothing yet claiming 90%. If this was real life and someone was investing their personal $1million dollars, I would gladly take $100k since they are taking the risk while I am developing.

If they just come up with a vague idea, want me to literally work out all the details and the product itself, 10% is extremely unfair given they are taking no risk yet claiming all the rewards.

>> No.5860685

get as much info from them as possible, develop it yourself. 100% of the profits

>> No.5860761

>>5858644
So OP. You seem to be doing something similar to what I want to do. Did you have any specific area that you want to get into? What about grad school? I'm about to finish my degree up but I've decided against grad school for now. It seems like I wouldn't benefit as much if I were to straight up get a job or work on my own ideas.

>>5860685
Oh, you mean like facebook? Enjoy that lawsuit later.

>> No.5860773

>>5860761
>like facebook

exactly like Facebook. That lawsuit is a bump in the road

>> No.5860781

>>5858644

hey this is likely a similar feeling to mr zuckerberg felt when those nigger boat guys asked them to make facebook

>> No.5860822

OP, ask for 9% of sales, and a 1% advance.

If you ask for $1,000 upfront and they scoff, then you know their idea couldn't even take them to the $100k mark.

If they truly have a $1.5M idea, then they can find loan money to pay you $15,000 now.

Deferred payments (in my experience) always take MUCH longer to pay.

>> No.5860843

>>5858644
You've met your first MBAs. Congratulations.

They have been circlejerking over how "important" the right "leadership" is for four years. And it is important. But they don't know shit about how to do it.

Eventually, the real businessmen will get in touch with you. They are very different.

>> No.5860859
File: 59 KB, 280x280, never-go-full-retard-tee_design.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5858644
So what's stopping you from taking their idea, telling them it's impossible and developing it for yourself?

> Be highest GPA.
That and a buck will buy you a cup of coffee.

>> No.5860867

>>5860685
>>5860859
Not OP, but...
>shitty idea
>not realistic at all

>> No.5861183

>>5858644
1) either counter their offer with a higher percentage, and convince them why.

2) just steal their idea. and do it by yourself or with a team.

its pretty simple.

>> No.5861187

>>5861183
oh forgot 3

3) decline their offer, laugh at their face and tell them how stupid they are and go home.