Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

/vt/ is now archived.Become a Patron!

/sci/ - Science & Math


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 48 KB, 499x499, h923CCF20.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
5850549 No.5850549 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe]

Any Zoologists on here?

>> No.5850551

>>5850549

don't, man, don't tread there.

>> No.5850555

>>5850549

Im more of a game show host.

>> No.5850706
File: 92 KB, 198x203, 1364682075503.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
5850706

i had to suffer through a year of zoology in my undergraduate studies.
it was almost as bad as botany, nothing but a mindnumbing descriptive clusterfuck.

molecular biology > microbiology > macrobiology

>> No.5850707

Look upon me and tremble, ye zoologists, for I am Vet Med, king of kings

>> No.5850715

>>5850707

in the land of the blind the one eyed man is king

>> No.5850724

>>5850715
perhaps, but so is the two eyed vet med adonis

>> No.5850759

I took a zoology class that had a lab with it. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
It was kinda hard though, memorizing every fucking phylum.

Do you have a question about it OP? Or are you just a bitch

>> No.5850782

Botany + Zoology major reporting in
also, my focus is on ecological based, not molecular.

>> No.5851265

Where is EK?

>> No.5851277

>>5850782
nojobs.mp4

>> No.5851286

I studied zoology for purely paleontological purposes.

if you want to talk to zoologists, several of them lurk /an/

>>5851265
EK doesn't know shit about zoology.

>> No.5851302

Zoologist here. My specialty leans toward freshwater fishes, limnology and inland aquaculture.

>> No.5851329

>>5851277
In Zoo, yeah, but theres an abundance of jobs in botanical based consulting

>> No.5851338

>>5851277

I work as a Researcher. The pay is paltry but hey I enjoy my work. Being a zoologist isn't a bad thing really.

>> No.5851453

How the fuck is zoology a separate branch of science? It's just applied biology.

>> No.5851455
File: 4 KB, 150x161, 3.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
5851455

>>5851453
>being this daft

>> No.5851467
File: 32 KB, 740x308, purity.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
5851467

>>5851453

>> No.5851481 [DELETED] 

>>5850549
yeh, why?
you got a question?

>> No.5851487

>>5851467
You're missing the philosopher on the far, far right

>> No.5851499

>>5851487
Perhaps its a pinwheel and the philosopher is both to the right and the left, equally useful and useless.

>> No.5851502

>>5851499
2deep4me

>> No.5851506

>>5851502
Philosophy originates questions

How is that too deep?
>>>/x/
Lemme help you

>> No.5851507

>>5851506
>Philosophy originates irrelevant made up pseudo-problems without basis in reality.

FTFY

>> No.5851513

>>5851507
In the modern era, what about that giant clump before science was created? What was Pythagoras just making shit up with axioms of proof in geometry?

Perhaps you should look into engineering in your future education.

>> No.5851518

>>5851507
creates philosophical debate about relevance of philosophy ∴ becomes philosopher by proxy
>irony

>> No.5851522

>>5851513
>before science was created?
Before science was created, humanity was caught in a quagmire of ignorance.

>>5851518
There is no "philosophical" debate. It's common consensus that philosophy is irrelevant nowadays.

>> No.5851525

>>5851522
>caught in a quagmire of ignorance
Great another physics major in their second year who hasn't taken a history of science class.
Good luck to your future students.

>> No.5851527

>>5851522
> It's common consensus that philosophy is irrelevant nowadays.
Hahahahaha people can't be this dumb.

>> No.5851528
File: 62 KB, 321x222, philosophy is gay.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
5851528

>>5851527
pic related is the proof

>>5851525
>projecting

>> No.5851529

>>5851527
Ikr
Mormon jesus forbid we evaluate the moral implications of applying given scientific discoveries.

>> No.5851533

>>5851528
Oh a google search to prove your point, that's pretty scientific.
>projecting
Irony x 2

>> No.5851538

>>5851525
I honestly believe that most, if not all, of those who keep spewing shit about philosophy are first/ second years who are yet to complete a history of science/ philosophy of science component.

Or completely missed it. My uni made it a compulsory second year subject for most science streams the year I went into 2nd year. Pretty glad too. Philosophy section covered history of science but was only a 3 week crash course. Still very informative and interesting

oh yeah, and just to add, if any of you actually think philosophy and science are mutually exclusive, you should probably swap majors.

>> No.5851540

>>5851538
>oh yeah, and just to add, if any of you actually think philosophy and science are mutually exclusive, you should probably swap majors.

this

>> No.5851543

>>5851538
History of science is a subject of study for those who are lacking the intelligence to do science on their own. I bet you're a pop sci hipster who like "I fucking love science xD" on facebook and who has a poster of Carl Sagan and Neil Tyson on his bedroom wall.

>> No.5851549
File: 27 KB, 775x387, science-vs-philosofaggotry.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
5851549

>>5851540
The scientific method of gaining objective knowledge is not compatible with philosophy's anti-intellectual "u cannot know nuthin".

>> No.5851552

>>5851543
>for those who are lacking the intelligence to do science on their own

Keep up your sciences bro, you goin places.....Loving this emotional evidence

>> No.5851555

>>5851549
way to ignore origination

>> No.5851559
File: 44 KB, 576x713, philosofaggotry.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
5851559

>>5851552
Just stating facts, "bro".

>>5851555
Appeal to tradition is a fallacy. But I guess that's all philosophy is: fallacies and more fallacies.

>> No.5851560

>>5851543
>thinks its appropriate to neglect the past
the arrogance is strong in you. its all knowledge man. Its good to learn the mistakes of the past as to avoid them yourself

Also, I love how anti popsci you angsty fedora wearing kids are. "hurr you dont know science, you cant be in our club". It gives scientifically ignorant people an easy front with which they can interact with science. Not everyone has an undergraduate in science man.
>I bet you're a pop sci hipster who like "I fucking love science xD" on facebook and who has a poster of Carl Sagan and Neil Tyson on his bedroom wall.
all this projecting because you've been proven wrong that philosophy isnt a void subject and its actually intertwined with science? Man, you're gonna get eaten alive if you ever present at a conference.

>> No.5851567

>>5851559
'facts'
>all this projecting because you've been proven wrong that philosophy isnt a void subject and its actually intertwined with science? Man, you're gonna get eaten alive if you ever present at a conference.

Don't you love being able to spot the youngins that have never done a thesis presentation
"I DID A SCIENCE PRESENTATION IN MY 200 LEVEL CHEM CLASS LAB"

>> No.5851568

>>5851549
I hope you realise the irony of that comic, the relation between falsification and "u cnt kno nuthin"

>> No.5851569

>>5851567
awww, cute, more projecting

>> No.5851573

>>5851569
Irony level: Waste Deep

>> No.5851576

>>5851569
perhaps if you took a philosophy book and did what is called reading, you might understand what subjective filters you use to project your plebgenda on the whole of the scientific method
>inb4 claims of projecting
>inb4 irony level: chin deep

>> No.5851579

>>5851560
>its all knowledge man.
Who is "knowledge man"? One of your childish pop sci superheroes?

>It gives scientifically ignorant people an easy front with which they can interact with science.
No, it doesn't. It gives them a very wrong impression of science as a colorful escapism adventure.

>you've been proven wrong
I'm still waiting for you to name one problem philosophy has solved. All philosophy does is making up new irrelevant bullshit problems nobody ever cares about. And even worse, philosophy denies the validity of science.

>> No.5851581

>>5851579
Irony Level: Faggot Deep

>> No.5851583

>>5851567
I can imagine you giving a thesis presentation about "u cannot know nuthin".

>>5851568
Falsification is the opposite of "u cannot know nuthin". Falsification means that you can know with certainty that something is false.

>>5851576
No, thanks. I prefer to read books with content, i.e. science and math textbooks. I don't need philosophical anti-intellectualism.

>> No.5851584

>I'm still waiting for you to name one problem philosophy has solved
problem: how do I ask questions?

>> No.5851585

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/genrel-early/#4

>> No.5851589

>>5851584
That's not a fucking problem. Use your verbal intelligence. Oh wait, ... I guess that's exactly what you're lacking.

>> No.5851591

>>5851579
>science as a colorful escapism adventure.
I'd rather that than "hurr science sux I believe the science presented by fox news"

Philosophy solved the problem of science being based around anecdotal evidence and the commonplace confirmation bias that would often occur in early days before falsification become popularised

>Who is "knowledge man"? One of your childish pop sci superheroes?
knowledge of where science came from, what it was, what it is, how practices have changed, who some big players were, who some influential people were. I dont know what you've got against that?

>> No.5851592

>>5851583
bahahahahah
look he thinks he's making an argument with axioms, if only he understood the value of philosophy and what axioms are...

>> No.5851594

>>5851589
Ad hominen.
So tell us about failing philosophy 100 and how it soured your vagina

>> No.5851597

>>5851589
>that's not a fucking problem *anymore
FTFY

>> No.5851599

>>5851594
>Ad hominen.
this thread is all ad hominen and edgy teens projecting

>2013
>neglecting any academia without reading and analysing it

>> No.5851601

>>5851599
saddening isn't it?

>> No.5851603

>>5851591
>Philosophy solved the problem of science
With the invention of the scientific method philosophy served its purpose and became useless afterwards.

>I dont know what you've got against that?
It's useless.

>>5851592
Axioms are logic, i.e. math and not philosophy.

>> No.5851605

>>5851603
>Axioms are logic, i.e. math and not philosophy.
>logic
>math
ok im done, he has officially not taken any history of science class in his whole 2 semesters at uni.

>> No.5851607
File: 57 KB, 408x360, 1309417138460.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
5851607

>>5851603
>this much edge

>> No.5851609

>>5851607
>ITS USELESS
Isn't usefulness a philosophical question?

Irony Level: Teenage Angst

>> No.5851610

>>5851594
It's literally impossible to fail a philosophy class.

>>5851597
It has never been a problem. FTFY

>>5851605
It's obvious that you never took a class on formal logic.

>> No.5851612

>>5851610
Trolling or Retarded. You choose fgt.

>> No.5851614

>>5851612
>ad hominem

>> No.5851615

>>5851614
Correct.

>> No.5851645

>>5851265
Where is our Queen?

>> No.5853699

>>5851286
Yes, she does. She has helped many posters with her knowledge.

>> No.5853768

>>5851487
Not unless she's really a logician.

>> No.5853829

>>5851467
"Mathematics is the most mathematical science"

No shit

>> No.5854900

>>5853768
Logic is a field of math.

>> No.5855748

My roommate is a zoologist.

>> No.5855752

>>5855748
you forgot to bump with the pic of that bitch with the cat

>> No.5856212

>>5850549
bio major reporting in. currently research primate ecology and behavior for undergrad thesis.

shit i hate rainy days..

>> No.5856229

>>5851467
Mathematics can't be applied to the real world. It's not a science.

>> No.5856239

>>5856212
Sounds rad. Care to elaborate?
I wish I did cool shit like Primate Ecology and Behaviour. I did do a major research unit on a processionary caterpillar and its ecology and behaviour though. It was p cool

>> No.5856242

>>5856229

This is not a valid defense in Tax Court.

>> No.5857051

>>5856212
What exactly is primate ecology?

>> No.5857950

>>5855748
Is she in academia?

>> No.5859524

>>5857950
Yes, she is. She has a BSc degree.

>> No.5860686

>>5859524
Is she smarter than EK?

>> No.5860706

>>5859524
Is she about EK's height?

>> No.5860712

>>5857950
>>5859524
>>5860686
>>5860706
Hod did you guys know his/her roommate was a woman? o.O

>> No.5860717

This is just like /r/Atheism on Reddit! Thanks for making me feel homely after being banned there.

>> No.5861989

>>5860686
How smart?

>>5860706
How high?

>> No.5862923

>>5860712
Maybe because I mentioned it in my post?

>> No.5864103

>>5860717
Why did they ban you from reddit?

>> No.5864760

moo?

>> No.5864785

>>5861989
She has publicly posted her IQ before but I cannot seem to access the archive.

>> No.5865967

>>5864785
The archive is up again. Now you can search.

>> No.5866790

>>5865967
Thank you for letting me know. I will look it up now.

>> No.5867865

>>5866790
Are you still here? I'd love to know the result.

>> No.5868664

>>5850782
>Botany + Zoology

You're doing a double major? Is it hard?

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action