[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 106 KB, 550x550, 1369800962077.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5837954 No.5837954 [Reply] [Original]

Is depression possible if you eat perfectly healthy, exercise daily, and without governmental oppression? Or can someone still be depressed for no physical reason without a physical ailment? Or is depression inevitable due to the fact of ones own existence?

>> No.5837963

I would say that if one lived healthy in a healthy environment they would not ever be depressed.

>> No.5837971
File: 374 KB, 1717x1124, Maslow's_hierarchy_of_needs.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Maslows hierarchy
Most people need to fulfill all of the hierarchy to avoid depression.

>> No.5837974

Of course depression is still possible, especially if you ignore the social aspect of your life. Human beings are naturally social (it's why we've gotten this far), and depriving yourself of meaningful interaction can cause depression.

>> No.5837977

>>5837971
People tend to find "acceptance of facts" hardest.
For example, although i accept it is a fact we are a spec of dust in the universe i find it hard to accept the fact that we fight over our insignificant corporeal problems and thus i get depressed.

>> No.5837980

You can have a predisposition to depression, and stuff can happen to you that you might not be able to handle, resulting in depression.
There was this famous german soccer player (I think he was the goalkeeper of the national team) who offed himself because of depression. I'm pretty sure he exercised daily and ate healthy. I'm not sure what you mean with governmental oppression.

>> No.5837987

>>5837954
add nice weather, and social interaction and i believe depression would never exist. sadness from time to time would of course, but not prolonged depression.

it comes from a feeling of hopelessness that nothing in the future will ever change or be good.

>> No.5837994

tip:
medical depression is a chemical imbalance in your brain
go to a trained psychiatrist

>> No.5837996

>>5837971
Please dont bring your first year of high school theories into this, your statement could not be more wrong.

>> No.5838000

>>5837994
Medical depression? Again you have no clue what you're talking about, yes it's correct that people with depressions have an imbalance, but that doesn't explain how it started did it? No

Seeing a psychiatrist? Yeah sure you can get pills, but that won't solve the underlying issue, seek professional help is a valid course of action, but you need to see more than a psychiatrist who MAINLY deals in psychopharmaca.

>> No.5838005
File: 41 KB, 468x619, 20050930.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.5838008

>>5837954
Yes depression is possible, eating healthy and daily excercise can help you overcome some things, so it prevents the stage known as depression.

Depression is mainly an overflow of stimuli which means all people are prone to the stage known as depression, for instance consider this;
Over the course of one week, you lose your entire family in a plane crash, you lose your job and you're being evicted from your house.

This would hit all like a train from nowhere, which means your emotional sensory will be capped, which means you will overload all your receptors in the brain with chemicals, the danger of this is if you don't get out of this stage you can essentially overload certain centers.

When overloaded the centers will shut down, and nolonger produce the necessary amount of the neurotransmitters, which is essentially why medication works because you then load a fair amount of neurotransmitters into people, and let the center regenerate and the center will then actively seek the level of neurotransmitters you're keeping with pills.

>> No.5838057

>>5837994
an imbalance is caused by what is happening to the person in the physical world. the brain just doesnt all of a sudden start fucking up. its from a mixture of poor diet, lack of exercise, lack of social contact, and oppression...among other things like where they live. I hear alaska gets pretty depressing in those months where the sun never comes up

>> No.5838117

>>5837954
Depression is often the result of a lack of purpose in life. Healthy food, exercise, and lack of oppression lessen it but cannot cure or prevent it.

>> No.5838807
File: 29 KB, 638x638, POfPU.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>implying depression and happiness are two bits in a simple binary system
>implying there is a clear definition of depression
>implying depression should be avoided
>autism logic

>> No.5838809

>>5838807
I appreciate this.

>> No.5838833

>>5838807
Why shouldn't it be avoided? It's nearly always irrational and often unproductive.

>> No.5839013

>>5838807
Is it even possible not to desire happiness/pleasure/satisfaction?

>> No.5839066

>>5839013
not same fag but i would actually have to say, yes

>> No.5839077

Yes. While situational stimuli may trigger depression, if you continue to have a low mood that prevents you from having any interest in life for at least two weeks then you're probably suffering from Major Depressive Disorder. Eating right and getting exercise can help manage symptoms, but anyone who has dealt with depression like this will tell you that it's not that simple. Anyone claiming that it is has obviously never suffered from an actual depressive episode.

>> No.5839079

>>5839077
>anyone who has dealt with depression like this will tell you that it's not that simple. Anyone claiming that it is has obviously never suffered from an actual depressive episode.
How convenient. It's like you can't conceive that you might be wrong.

>> No.5839098

>>5839079
There is a tremendous amount of literature pointing to the biological origins of depression that are mostly separate from the kinds of things being discussed in this thread thread. Anecdotally , I can say that I've met several people (including myself) who are in excellent physical condition, eat well and have healthy social lives yet still suffer from major depressive episodes from time to time. This isn't a controversial statement.

>> No.5839102
File: 29 KB, 396x400, 2093_1273102265554.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5838057
>the brain just doesnt all of a sudden start fucking up

>> No.5839176

Depression can be just "my shit life is getting me down" or it can be "something in my brain is fucked up and my emotions are broken".

The second kind can happen no matter how awesome your life is.

>> No.5839181

>>5839079
>the person saying "you might not know what you're talking about guys" is the one who can't conceive that they might be wrong, not the guy who's saying "there's only one way it can happen"
yep that makes sense

>> No.5839224

Depression is actual pain in the brain. It's not just tears of sadness.

>> No.5839797

op here, thanks for all the posts

>> No.5839806

>>5839077
I agree with this, I had MDD and got treated for it a while ago, now it seems to be "cured" and I feel fine.
I basically felt like watching my life in third person, everything felt like a movie and I was like a ghost going through life. Shit is well...depressing.

>> No.5840054

>>5837954
It could be a natural lack of enzymes that remove neurotransmitters from receptor sites