[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 167 KB, 500x334, PFFFT.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5823806 No.5823806 [Reply] [Original]

Hey, scibros-- I'm in a bit of a pickle.

Had an awful cold headache for the past couple of days, and I've got a comparative article due in the next few. I have completely forgotten two specific terms; I've been using layman synonyms in their steads.

I can't remember the scientific names for two separate subjects:

1] A word meaning a language composed of the idea of masculine and feminine genders (as juxtaposed to English, which does not have gendered grammar.)
2] A word that means a species of animal that has two distinct sexes (not "androgynous" or "hermaphroditic"; I'm meaning a term or phrase legitimately used to address the existence of two known sexes, not two known sexes appearing at once/on the same creature.)

Google hasn't helped me at all. My hardcopies aren't at my apartment.

I know I'm not trippin', no matter how much cough syrup I've been sippin'. I know these terms exist.

Can anyone think of them?

>> No.5823812

2) Gonochorism

>> No.5823822

Pretty sure the first is just gendered language.

Was going to say the second us sexual dimorphism, but that refers to differences in the sexes physically (like in birds where the male is brightly colored and female is just brown)

>> No.5823832

>>5823822
Nah bro, there's a technical name for it, I know there is; I had seminar on it a while back.

Yeah, that's what I was stuck on, too. Though the Anon above got it, whom I thank. :3

>> No.5823848

>>5823832
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammatical_gender
Maybe browse that.

>> No.5823851

>>5823832
If there is it's not mentioned in the wikipedia article (which I know isn't the greatest source, but on things like this they'd nut over using jargon if they could).

Might you be thinking of inflected languages? I ask because most gendered languages are inflected.

>> No.5823860

Do you mean agglutinative languages?

And I think sexual dimorphism more or less captures your second meaning.

>> No.5824250
File: 22 KB, 279x400, 35771_1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Heteronormative?