[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 22 KB, 250x329, 250px-Colonne_distillazione.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5807875 No.5807875 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /sci/,

A guy asked me if I could tutor him while he takes a chemical engineering class that is notorious for failing students at my school (I did really well when I took it) over the summer. He said that he would like to meet 3-6 hours a week and is willing to pay me.

How much should I charge him? Also any tips on tutoring? Pic unrelated

>> No.5807877

>>5807875
>not specifieng class.

>> No.5807882

>>5807877

A sophomore level class, Chemical Processes. It's basically the first real chemical engineering class. ChE is not his major, but he is still required to take it.

>> No.5807903

g-guys?

>> No.5807920

Does your school have a Ch E frat? At my school, the frat boys (who are just a bunch of mega nerds) tutor people in lower classes for free. But if you can guarantee this guy a solid B to an A, for 3 - 6 hours a week, the most you could charge him is 40 bucks a week.

>> No.5807926

Since he's not a Chem E, he's probably gonna be a difficult case to tutor. If he's just taking it to get it out of the way he's probably going to put all of his studying time on your watch. Don't let him put all of his chips on you. Assign him things to do, test him on the chapter, just little things. Just make sure he's actually studying when he's not around you.

>> No.5807941

You'll have to negotiate price with him, but $20/hour is a typical sort of rate. If you do it for any less, then you're doing him a huge favour. 6 hours a week is too much, though. It likely means he wants you to sit there while he does his homework, which is a waste of time for both of you.

For effective tutoring, you make him take the initiative. Before each session, he'll send you his class notes and highlight the portions he's having trouble with. In addition to giving you time to prepare, it's forcing him to think about what he's learning. He'll get almost as much out of this as from actually sitting down with you.

Other tips? Bring lots of scrap paper and a couple of pens. Bring a calculator. Find somewhere isolated, but where you can talk freely (i.e. not a library).