[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 791 KB, 2048x1701, environment.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5805319 No.5805319 [Reply] [Original]

I am extremely worried about our future, and future generations; we are more or less killing ourselves off on earth, so I was hoping I could start a discussion relating to renewable energy and being environmentally friendly. I made a couple of questions I was hoping we could discuss:

You have lots of money to invest in renewable energy. Which energy source would you bet your money on? (why, where, how)
How can we live more environmentally friendly and reduce energy use in everyday life? (explain what measures you think are most important and possibly why)

>> No.5805329

>>5805319
In this world that we live in? With all that consumerism, fragile stuff, electronic gadgets, when you have everything accessible but is the same everything that consumes electricity? No way!

>> No.5805335

Nuclear because in the event that fusion is controlled, we will have all the energy we need to sustain terrestrial activity. Additionally, fusion reactors could power space vessels much further than we have been.
All the general stuff : Turn off anything you're not using, recycle, don't do useless shit for hours on end, try to buy from environmentally friendly companies. Conservation will not do much in terms of actual preservation though. There are simply too many people who don't care. Alternative energy is the only way to go so it's basically a race between extinctions and new energy source.

>> No.5805336

I guess I would invest in nuclear power because it is a clean alternative to coal.

>> No.5805357
File: 234 KB, 611x428, creating_fusion_reaction.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Magnetized target fusion. General Fusion has this sweet design that might just work if it doesn't tear itself apart or something. The threshold for producing a net gain of energy in these designs is very low as we can capture basically all of the energy released.
If you've got fusion power, why be energy conscious if 1 gallon of seawater contains enough deuterium to, when fused together, produce about as much energy as 400 gallons of combusting gasoline.

>> No.5805390

>>5805357
Wow, that's quite cool, care to share some more information about it?

>> No.5805396
File: 1.83 MB, 3000x2000, 1369161152297.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5805390
There's lots of experiments under way. I haven't been brushing up on the most recent developments but a quick google does the trick.

>> No.5805402

>>5805329
If consumerism can be driven to find environmentally friendly products more desirable (it is) then it may have a chance of enacting some small change. Everything needs economic stimulus for anything to happen.

>> No.5805408

We could cover most of our needs if everyone had wind/solar devices alone, we don't yet need great clean energy sources of the future (fission/fusion), though those are another viable option I believe in.
Also primarily we just need energy efficient shit, like proper insulation and not being retarded by leaving the door open while the AC is on.

>> No.5805416

>>5805402
How much we have to consume in order to balance what we spend? We don't need the amount of things that we consume, we waste a lot of energy and products.

>> No.5805421

http://ecat.com/

Don't worry guys Andrea Rossi's LENR will save us all.

>> No.5805429

This is a somewhat related question i've always had. I'm no scientist, i'm not incredibly smart, and this is probably going to be a stupid question.

Is there an alternative method of producing electricity other than driving a turbine, also discounting solar cells? It seems to me that most power generation methods concentrate on spinning a turbine. Although turbines have come a long way, they are still based on the same principal, surely there are perhaps theorised methods of producing power that don't involve the need to create something like steam from water to drive a turbine.

>> No.5805433

>>5805429
Well the whole deal is getting a conducting wire moving through a magnetic field. Thus the spinning motion, which steam is pretty good at making things do.

>> No.5805453

What about liquid Fluoride Thorium reactors?

>> No.5805457

>>5805357
>>5805396
>fusion piston engine
I just can't get over how simultaneously awesome and retarded that sounds.

>> No.5805570

I was just checking out some wind-power and shit and came across this pretty cool concept: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xyDEk2gnH0 what do you guys think?