[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 51 KB, 500x500, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5795663 No.5795663 [Reply] [Original]

>"pH is shorthand for 'percent Hydrogen'."

>"We used to think the planetary model of the atom might be wrong, but now that we have strong enough microscopes, there's no doubt."

>"You don't need to know this. When you see these problems on the test, just do this..."

>"The 'E' on the calculator stands for 'Error'. It means the numbers you put in wer too big, you're going to brake it.

>"You can work in groups to finish this worksheet..."

Public highschool horror-story thread?

>> No.5795680

>0.999... = 1

>> No.5795691

>>5795663
>You'll learn this is wrong next year, but just do it this way for now.

>> No.5795730

>>5795691
Why do schools do this? I mean I understand if they're in primary school when the brain isn't as developed, but at GCSE level there are sure to be 'intelligent' students who should be able to grasp the concept of dividing by n-1 for standard deviation if you have taken a random sample to get a closer estimate for example.

>> No.5795738

>>5795691
>mfw I've finished a physics BSc and this still happens in lectures.

>> No.5795742

>>5795663
>Student claims deoxygenated blood is blue
>I correct her
>Somebody else cones in on her side
>I start trying to explain subsurface scattering
>More people join in, all on her side
>Teacher joins in on her side
>Basically tells me I'm wrong and need to shut up
>"But..."
>"Just be quiet, anon."
Vivisection may be more physically painful, but mentally, nothing comes close.

>> No.5795746

"What state of matter is fire?"

"Fire is an energy."

I just........................
Ugh.

>> No.5795749

>1, 2, 4

What kind of backwards Public Highschool did you go to? I nor anyone I ever heard of had to deal with that BS.

>5

That's just Asbergers on your part.

>3

All my rage.

>> No.5795765

>>5795746
Everybody knows Fire is a Pokemon type.

>> No.5795772

>Never suck out the venom in a snake bite
>Why?
>BECAUSE IT"LL KILL YOU STUPID!!
>actually snake venom is protien based and will be broken dow..
>ITS POSION IT"LL KILL YOU!! YOU"RE AN IDIOT!!!
>...

>> No.5795774

>>5795742

>Sophmore year.
>Be nice guy.
>Friendly debates with tolerant Christian biology teacher occasionally on trival shit, e.g. Was Charles Darwin ultimately Christian or Agnostic.
>Students automatically assume he's always right because he's a teacher.
>Same students who thought Souja Boy was the greatest thing since the invention of music.
>fuckthisgayearth.jpg

>Taking Chemistry for shitz and gigglez later on.
>Less tolerant of uneducated opinions.
>Again, friendly debates with Conservative teacher.
>Discussing Global Warming.
>Preppy cunt chimes in, "I don't believe in Global Warming. I mean the weather se-"
>"Sit down, there's a difference betwern climate and weather.
>No more fucktards interfering.

>> No.5795779

>>5795774

>or Deist**

>> No.5795787

>Grade 11 bio
>prof puts on babby tier explanation of natural selection video
>90% of the class gets excited and feels "enlightened" and wont stop talking about it.

To this day, the most painful half hour of my life.

>> No.5795789

>>5795663
We stopped studying evolution in 6th grade because some soccer mom threw a bitchfit about it being a mark against god

>> No.5795821
File: 96 KB, 500x361, squirrel-5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>figure.12: A squirrel

>> No.5795837

>>5795787
This is alien to me. Natural selection was never an issue in my country.

>> No.5795841

>>5795787
What would you expect in grade 11?

>> No.5795846

>>5795774
>Discussing global warming
>Guy starts talking with the air of "I've solved it all guys, just listen, I've got this"
>"Say you're round a campfire, and somebody lights a cigarette, and people start complaining it's too hot, and that the guy should put his cigarette out when they're next to a massive fire. That's basically what people who say global warming is real are saying."
>Silence
>Just silence
>A cricket chirps

>> No.5795850

>>5795841
>"HAHAHAHA, THEY HAVE SEX!!!"

>> No.5795856

GUISE! MR.ANON JUST SAID SPERM!! FUCKING GOLD!!

>> No.5795864

>Lets work in groups

>> No.5795876

>>5795846
>So what's the fire then
>"the sun"

>> No.5795878

>>5795742
I know that feel
;_;

>> No.5795881

>>5795878
you know 'sageru' doesn't sage right

>> No.5795887

>>5795680

This one depends on your calculator's decimal precision.

>> No.5795890
File: 22 KB, 333x194, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>be me
>first day of biology
>teacher is explaining atoms
>says the gravity works everywhere
>after class tell her she might want to change her lecture notes because gravity doesn't work at the subatomic level
>"how do atoms stay together then?"
>class overhears
>all join in her side
>mfw we all learned the year before about the fundamental forces
>the whole class thought I was stupid
>last day prove her wrong about everything

>> No.5795901

>>5795887
1 / 3 = 0.333...
0.333... x 3 = 1
0.333... x 3 = 0.999...

>> No.5795907

>7th grade
>science teacher is trying to explain why you couldn't receive a video feed from inside a black hole
>no one seems to understand why it wouldn't work
>this actually upset me

It was like /sci/ except in 2003 and I didn't have pubic hair.

>> No.5795911

>>5795907
Why were you learning about black holes in 7th grade?

>> No.5795918
File: 2 KB, 180x157, 18digits.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5795901
Pic related. (Python)
>>5795911
Why not?

>> No.5795920

>>5795901
I like more:
>There is always a real number strictly between two different real numbers.
>There isn't a number strictly between 0.9999... and 1.
>Therefore they are the same number
[spoiler]Or 0.9999... is not a real number

>> No.5795926

>>5795901
>1 / 3 = 0.333...

Error.

>> No.5795929

>>5795926
?

(layman here)

>> No.5795935
File: 96 KB, 298x311, Rustled.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

this was from my 8th grade class...
>doing tie-dye in science class, because TIE DYE
>twist t-shirts up and put rubber bands on them, squirt some dye on that
>"ok class, now you guys need to put them in this dilute sodium hydroxide solution and swish it around with your hands for 15 minutes"
>"Mr. Anon, should we use gloves or something?"
>"Nah, Anonlet, you'll be fine."
>sore red hands for the next few days
>mfw

>> No.5795939

>be 9th grade
>retard math classes
>Mrs. Anon teaching us about various formulas
>I can understand why most of them work
>get to quadratic formula
>trying to figure out why it is what it is on paper instead of taking notes
>Mrs. Anon comes to my desk, "Put that away paper away anon, we're taking notes"
>"Sorry I was just trying to prove quadratic formula"
>"You don't need to do that Anon, you'll learn that next year"
>"Can you help me figure this part out I can't figure it out."
>"I said put it away anon, do you want a detention?"
>Get mad
>"I'm sorry for trying to learn in this learning environment Mrs. Anon"
>Get a detention
>Spend an hour after school trying to explain to the history teacher, who was doing detentions at the time, why I 'sassed' Mrs. Anon
>Said I just wanted to know why the quadratic formula worked
>History teacher says that I should ask things like that after class instead of embarrassing the teacher in front of her class
>mfw Mrs. Anon had a poster in her room that encouraged kids to ask questions
>forever 1984

>> No.5795941

>>5795772
A better reason is it will just swell the tissue around the bite and won't actually suck out the venom, but that reasoning is indeed retarded.

>> No.5795944

>>5795691
that's normal, at that point most students can't deal with the fact that it's all an approximation/modelization because they haven't seen the more advanced stuff yet. Sure, they could try using more mature language, but the point is still the same.

Also I'm not from the third world so science in my public high school was excellent quality.

>> No.5795946

>>5795944
Don't call the south third world, it isn't nice anon.

I was in an IB program, but the traditional program in the same building was fucking retarded.

>> No.5795966

>>5795939
Stuff like that killed all motivation for learning

>> No.5795992

Britain doesn't have this problem but the one way I can contribute:

>In physic's lesson
>Talking about random shit, banter
>Chemistry teacher comes along, talks about Newtonian gravity with us
>say to him that light is also affected by gravity
>he laughs, and physics teachers arn''t sure what I said is true (Doing A levels)
>walk to the buses
>Chem teacher "ahhhh the sunlight is crushing me"
>get aspie mad all day
>next day walk into chemistry lesson, talks about light, and show's all the equations (nothing about chemistry) for about 10 mins
>All the pupils are confused
>mfw when he wasted time in class just to troll me
>mfw all the science teachers trolled me

That day forward I wasn't so cocky

>> No.5796007

>>5795691
God I hated that, I think we went through five different revisions of how atoms actually worked

>> No.5796016

>>5795992
Science teacher here. I do this all the time.

I often ramble about the etymology of science words, since I'm a big Greek scholar.

I remember once trying to explain general relativity to a class of Year 7s. Good times.

>> No.5796017

>>5795939
Similar story

>7th grade
>Teacher explains what prime numbers are, tells us to find as many primes as we can, goes to get coffee
>I spend time trying to find better method than brute force.
>Yells at me for not trying

>> No.5796024

>>5796017
Oh shit. who was the mathematician who worked out a formula when his teacher told the class to add up all the whole numbers between 1 and 100?

>> No.5796043

>>5796017
Want to hear some questions 'from the other side'? Secondary school teacher in Britain, so 11-16 year olds...

> What is 50 as a percentage of 100?
> Who do muscles do?
> Where's the 'divide button' on my calculator?
> How many centimetres are there in a metre?
> ad nauseam

I have big slide on 'how to use a calculator' - for 16 year olds.

>> No.5796052

>>5796024
Gauss, I think

>> No.5796060

>>5796024
>>5796052
apocryphal

>> No.5796095

>>5796043
Don't calculators have, like, manuals?

>> No.5796100

>>5796095
nobody reads those anymore anyways.

>> No.5796117

>>5795941
huh, didn't know that. So that is just a movie trope? (I hate it when I learn false things like that!)

>> No.5796131

>>5796100
>implying there was ever a time when nonprofessionals read manuals

>> No.5796134

>Probability class junior year of high school
>Learn some complex formula related to standard deviation
>The teacher only gets to do the problem twice during the whole class, nobody understands it though
>I figure out how the teacher taught it wrong before the end of class
>Told him what he did wrong, he says i was right
>Feels good man

>> No.5796149

>>5796134
Schools really should have better screening for these fuckups

Especially in highschool

>> No.5796153

>>5796149
yeah i hated that fuckup. im happy his daughter got suspended for drinking at school dance while i was there.

>> No.5796164

>>5795821
More intelligent then most high schoolers. Students and teachers, mind you.

>> No.5796187

>>5795918
Floating point mathematics are not reliable.

>> No.5796202

>>5795787

A teacher that can get students excited and interested in a subject is an excellent one.

The onus is on the student to study for knowledge and go deeper, but so many students never have the inclination to begin with.

>> No.5796205

>>5795663
>9th grade biology
>talking about anatomy and number of bones in the body
>lists 206 to 207 bones in the body
>dumbass boy asks dumbass girl why some people have different number of bones
>girl says its because guys have one less rib than girls because god used it to make eve
>i tell them "what? no, thats retarded."
>they bitch back
>asks him if he has an odd number of ribs
>tells me about how he learned about it in vacation bible school over the summer
>i was damn skinny then, so i pulled up my shirt and told him to count
>teacher & whole class get brought into conversation
>literally every single person sides against me, including teacher
>i ask them why i had an even number of ribs
>some other dumbass shouts out its cuz im a girl
>everyone laughs, including teacher
>regretted, yet again, that my school was made of brick instead of wood. wonderful, combustible wood.

Before you ask, yeah, I went to school in Alabama. Yes, story is real and I have a hundred more like that.

>> No.5796209

>>5796202
True, but it would probably be good if they explained that. Or didn't actively punish the students who DO try to go beyond the curriculum, and keep them mixed with the dumbass yokels that make up almost all of the student body.

>> No.5796217

>>5796205
Why didn't you pull your pants down? Pussy.

>> No.5796220

>>5796217
Exactly, he didn't want to show his, it would have proven them right.

>> No.5796226

>>5796205
I should probably mention that I taught for 5 years in the same area I grew up in. I taught at a science museum that had a large education outreach program. I taught 11-15 year olds. My first year, 10% of my students could not read. ~50% didn't know about negative numbers.

This is because they were homeschooled. Specifically because in Alabama there is no law governing homeschooling. Actually, thats a lie. There are two sentences regulating it. Seriously, look it up. You have to submit paperwork once a year claiming that you attempted to teach your child at least one day that year.

There was this concept called "unschooling". The premise is that by not trying to teach them at all, they will naturally become self directed learners. Hence all the illiterates.

That said, my smartest students were always homeschooled too.

>>5796217
>>5796220
Because showing them my impressive baculum would have invalidated my point, blinded them, and caused me to be expelled again.

>> No.5796233

>>5796226
God I hate people like you.

>> No.5796241

>>5796205

Keep going. I feed on these.

>> No.5796242

>>5796233
Fun thing is, growing up like that, surrounded by utter idiocy, constantly being told I was wrong on the most sensible of things, did not cause me to gain self doubt. It caused incredible self confidence in the face of irrational defiance. You hate me? Good. A lot of people hate me. A lot of those people are very, very dumb. I won't ever be able to get the number of people in this world who hate me down to a reasonable number, so I see no reason to be concerned about adding you to the masses.

>> No.5796245

>>5796226
Teehee. Baculum.

>> No.5796253

>>5796205

Ah anon, your proposed evidence also stems from ignorance.

There are floating ribs that you cannot possibly count from the surface.

You could not have conclusively proven that you had an even number of ribs in total.

>> No.5796258

>>5796241
Well, I took a computer (MS word and typing!) class. I had to help the teacher plug in his computer. One day we were all going to be set up with our very own edu email account. He couldn't get it working so we spent yet another day twiddling our thumbs. Or we were supposed to. I figured out how to work their proprietary software (not webmail, some archaic email program) and sent a test message saying "Hello." The shitstorm was classic early 90's paranoia/ignorance about technology. Email went to everyone in the department of education's email list. An elementary school teacher sent a scathing response, furious, about how I should be charged for hacking into her private email account. So I was expelled again. Only 3 days till the end of the semester, so big whoop. I came back after the break.

page break...

>> No.5796275

>>5796253
Good to know. I have never cared for/studied biology/anatomy. I was *damn* skinny; I was severely ill at the time and was extremely underweight. I ended up missing a year of school. I wonder if you could see them under those conditions?

I got suspended for 3 days because I was reading during the "minute of silence". They would come on the intercom and you were supposed to pray during it. But I was silently reading instead of praying, so, suspension. I was also chastised for not putting my hand over my heart during the pledge, nor speaking along (though I did grudgingly stand and look at the flag).

I was routinely sent to in school suspension for related reasons. You were to sit at a desk in the trailer outside of school and look straight ahead at the wall. You weren't allowed to put your head down, read, have anything on the desk, talk, move, etc. Just sit, staring. The bitch in charge of it was a grade A sadist, too, and loved shouting demeaning things.

>> No.5796278

>>5796242
I hate you because I know you. You're the shitbag.who looks down on everyone else and makes clear that they know you think they are beneath you. You demean and denigrate without any attempt at either communication or understanding. In the echo chamber of your mind, you have exaggerated issues that are real and ignored that as often as not your attitude and failures to understand and communicate are at fault.

You claim to have taught but hold nothing but scorn for your students. You think they didn't notice that and dismiss you and what you said because of that? I can't imagine the damage you caused "teaching" those kids.

>yfw I took classes like evolutionary biology, genetics, linear algebra, diff eq, and transition metals chemistry in an Alabama public high school

>> No.5796281

>student claims copper is the best conductor
>i correct him
>morons join in and say i'm wrong

>> No.5796286

>>5796275
Forgot to mention that the computer teacher was a tall thin effeminate black man who would rearrange girls bra straps and offer to give them back rubs. I wish I was kidding. He was fired.

Also, I got expelled for having a copy of the Satanic Bible and wearing a pentagram necklace. I pointed out that I did *NOT* believe the stupid mysticism in it, but my simple possession of them was exactly the same as their wearing necklaces and carrying bibles.

>> No.5796300

>>5796242
All well and good, but I think you might do well to reduce the pedantry a bit.
I'm trying to keep it constructive.

>> No.5796307

>>5796278
If you got to DE/linear I'm going to assume you went to ASMS? I've heard... interesting stories.

I was a shit head... when I was in public school. This is very, very true. I went through a period of years where whenever I met someone I knew from HS the first thing I would do was give an open and complete apology for all former behavior, including the shit I couldn't remember.

My life was pretty damn shitty. I was abused at home, was bored and persecuted at school, and was life-threateningly, painfully ill. Now, as an adult, I don't let that shit get to me. Relax, I grew up before I taught. It was part of my "balancing debts".

>> No.5796303

>>5796286
Were you trying to make a statement or something?

>> No.5796316

>>5796303
Basically. It was childish, but the more you push someone the more adversarial they'll get. I wasn't joking when I said I had 100's of stories along those lines. At the start, I wasn't an insufferable asshole. I was exceedingly shy and had negative self confidence (active self hatred; reference home abuse). That changed over time. Opposing my environment became a major part of my identity. As a result I didn't have any friends for 'several' years.

>> No.5796339

>>5796307
Oh, I was their director of "technology education". I taught kids how to program, how to make video games, build robots, program control algorithms, etc.

In the third week of a 3 week series of classes the kids made their own 2 motor robot arm, wrote their own iterative Taylor series approximation for sine/cosine, made it lerp/slerp between arbitrarily points read from a file (against gravity), using a PID automatically tuned with gradient descent.

Show many ANY OTHER teacher who routinely does that with non-gifted 15 year olds, and I'll eat my hat.

One of the other end-of-sequence classes had kids building boids, a (very) simple (low performance) minecraft clone, and a board game (connect 4, othello, mancala, etc) with *hard* AI.

It was a lot of fun. I had complete creative control on what I taught. I spent years thinking "my teacher is so stupid; she should be teaching it this way for these reasons", and actually got to play at putting my ideas into practice.

>> No.5796357

>>5796307
Yup, school of sex and marijuana, but there are a.surprising number of really advanced offerings and good schools in the state. Of course these are in the rich areas like Hoover, Huntsville, Auburn, etc. but hell, we could even do a lot of that stuff even in my shitty home school...few did though. We definitely are.getting better though and even our worst are better than midwesterners...i don't know how the South had the reputation it has when everything bad about the South is many times worse there.

>> No.5796358

>>5796339
show me any*, not show many.

My boss was a thundercunt, unfortunately, so I left to go back to school. I was beginning to tire of teaching anyways. It is... exhausting. I don't envy the people who try to make a career out of it. And I wasn't even teaching in a public school! I can't imagine how bad of a work environment that is.

But seriously, did you go to the Alabama School for Math and Science?

>> No.5796370

>>5796357
>>5796357
Nice. I have a pair of friends (engaged) who went there. They both developed a pronounced exhibitionist fetish from their time there. Also, the "threw a container of sodium submerged in kerosene out of the window, into the swimming pool" story never gets old.

The sad thing is that I am from one of those richer areas. I am very aware of how far backwards in time just a half hour drive can take you, and am very, very glad I didn't grow up somewhere worse. My rebellion probably would've resulted in actual beatings (or worse) instead of just repeated expulsions.

What is your experience out west? I have a friend who just moved to Los Alamos and he seems to love it. (the girlfriend and I are looking for places to move to; I say we pick a nice Scandinavian country, but she wants to stay in the states. And she's the damn polyglot!)

>> No.5796374

>>5796358
Yeah, see post above the quoted one. Apologies for slow responses/typos. I'm posting from my phone that hates me and 4chan.

>> No.5796396

>>5796370
I've worked in the energy industry for the past few years mainly in the flat, square states. Currently, I'm working in the Dakotas.

I've never seen in any other area the sheer amount of casual racism, prideful ignorance, and just shitty people as I have in this region.

Yeah, I got that fetish there too. Also a fan of orgies thanks to there.
Most of the stories you've heard happened. I think these days it has calmed down some (not for lack of trying).

>> No.5796424

>>5796281
yfw "gold hdmi cables"

>> No.5796428

>>5795939
>mfw my school introduced the quadratic formula to us by breaking us up into groups and getting each group to derive it
>We didn't even know what it was until after we'd gotten the answer

>> No.5796460

>>5796396
Well, the west may have casual racism, but I'll be damned if the south doesn't have *professional* racism. I think the west gets it because of the high rate of separation between races; about a third of Alabama is black. The "one of my best friends is black" thing is pretty common.

God damn it, so jealous. I tried to get into ASMS, but was denied. My school "accidentally" sent the wrong grades. My teacher fucking smiled when she told me that she told them I had been making 30's in classes. Orgies would have been a lot more fun than continuing to be a punching bag while almost dying. Thank god for a (mostly, after a fashion) open minded girlfriend... speaking of which, I need to call her.

One last story, though. I did NOT get in trouble when I read Jenna Jamison's autobiography in my creative writing class (with book open flat on my table, pictures clearly visible). One girl at my table asked me wtf I was doing, and I reassured her I was earnestly reading it. Besides, I had an internet connection and more porn then I could possibly use at home.

>> No.5796470

>>5796052
No source on this, but I have heard the same thing about Pascal

>> No.5796481
File: 1.90 MB, 220x160, 1364515460950.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Information Technology & Programming class, Australian high school:
> Teacher reads off powerpoint slides
> Yellow on white text

> Taught OSI model in 2011

> Responds to questions about the material with 'very good'.
> No indication they've even processed what you said, just 'very good'.

> Entire class plays flash games we keep on the public folders
> We don't even bother to hide it, teacher does not care.

> Detention if you don't bring your textbook to every class
> Chewed out if you opened your textbook while they read from it

> "Miss, Can we use PHP in our website projects?"
> "Is that like Linux?"

Now for the big one:
> Oh boy, learning to program
> Dis gun be good
> Can't wait to be a super-hacker like on TV
> Apparently the school can't afford Python (???)
> Apparently the school can't afford computers that work with anything other than VB 6
> Time to learn programming
> Sheets are handed out
> Sheets are covered in code and screenshots
> "Miss, what is all this for?"
> "Make the program, then show it to me."
> "I don't know what half of these commands do."
> "Very good."

It turns out that our teacher teaches programming by handing out copies of finished VB 6 programs and then expects you to reproduce it. Nobody had a fucking clue what was going on, and we failed the task. One kid who I made friends with was blind, so he was allowed to learn and program in Python using a braille interface hooked up to a netbook. Once he'd read the python textbook he'd been given inside and out, he proceeded to surf Facebook all the time because the fucktarded sysadmins decided that giving him unfettered internet access was easier than integrating an Ubuntu machine into the network's netbalance utility.

>> No.5796482

>>5796205
>a hundred more like it
Prove it.

>> No.5796487

>>5796460
Don't be too jealous, lots of nerd drama too. Amazing amounts.

Hell, you should.have sued the shit out of that school.

And I think you might misunderstand what I mean by casual racism. I mean I hear, openly said things like "someone should kill that stupid nigger in office" multiple times a day from all walks of life no less. I get asked all the time how I could stand living around so many spics and niggers. It's like being in the 1960s.

I honestly don't believe any minority is safe in this part of the country.

>> No.5796490

>>5796481
>VB 6
>Paid software
>Cheaper than Python
>Free as in freedom

What

>> No.5796495

>>5796481
>Implying the OSI model isn't superior

>> No.5796492

>>5796490
I know! The sheer insanity of my IT classes drove me into the ground. I fucking hate IT now.

>> No.5796501

>>5796492
I'm sorry for your loss.
I also went to school in Australia, and everyone in my school was forced to learn Python to a basic level in year 10.
I then went onto do IT in year 11, which was a course specifically designed by the school as a feeder course for university CS. We ended up producing actual software that was used by research scientists.
In year 12, I did 'university extension IT', which was designed specifically with my school in mind (11 people did it, 10 were from my school) and where I did two first-year CS subjects.

>> No.5796511

>6th grade
>Forgot how to find area of a circle because I'm retarded
>FUCK IT I'LL DO IT LIVE
>I came up with some bassackwards way to find the area of a circle
>Sweet right answer
>Kept doing that every time
>Always the right answer, albiet longer and more convuluted than the simple formula
>Teacher finds out about it and for some reason flips her shit
>I became completely apathetic to school and learning after that

>> No.5796518

>>5796501
Man, Australian highschool classes sure have changed over the past decade or so.
When I attended they only had optional IT classes, and you needed high grades to take them.

>> No.5796515

>>5796490
The person in charge of the computers set everything up the way he/she liked it back when they first started, and responds to every request to change anything with "we can't afford it". No one questions it because oh hey, he's the sysadmin, he must know what he's talking about.

I'm not even that anon; I've just seen this pattern of behavior more times than I can count. Working as an on-the-road repair technician will show you just how stupid people really are.

>> No.5796523

>>5796511
>for some reason flips her shit
She's been taught from day one that the status quo is god and god is the status quo. There is nothing more blasphemous to a shit teacher than doing something in any way other than the way you're told to do it.

>> No.5796524

>>5796518
My school was very different to most.

>> No.5796526

>>5796523
Alas, this is so true.

>> No.5796528

>>5796511
I invented integration by myself once, for some tiny little "find the area using grid squares" question.
Admittedly, we'd learned differentiation already at that stage, but my teacher's face was priceless when he saw it.

>> No.5796565

>>5796511
managed something similar on a trig test I didnt study for.
was smug as fuck until I realized for some reason my formula couldn't give the answer to the last question. This is when I started paying attention in school.

>> No.5796582

>>5796565
I did something similar on the trig final I took a month ago. I forgot how to calculate the area of a triangle using trig functions, but I remembered the 3rd grade way of doing it (A=0/5bh) and reverse-engineered the trig way of doing it.

>> No.5796597
File: 7 KB, 225x225, leather.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5795663

>be 13
>read somewhere that sun can be called the smallest star.
>mfw in class when teacher names sun the biggest and the most brightly "coloured" star.

>> No.5796606
File: 1.99 MB, 400x242, 1361095821324.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5796597
I don't know why, but that album cover(?) is strangely arousing.

>> No.5796644

>>5795890

How did the class think you were stupid if you saw that a year before?

>> No.5796656

>>5796187

You got a better way to represent fractions on a computer?

>> No.5796654

>>5796644
Because rote education doesn't work.

>> No.5796697

>>5796656
I'm not him, but I do.

>http://www.goldenmuseum.com/index_engl.html

>> No.5796704

>>5795846
Silence because everyone knew he was partially right: global warming is real but there is not much people can do to prevent it.

>> No.5796728
File: 12 KB, 200x219, 50314_288865372137_2985807_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5796704
wat

>> No.5796759

>>5796339

>taylor series approximations of sine/cosine

This is unrelated, but they aren't approximations, they're exact. Sorry, my autism is over now, go back to whatever you're doing.

>> No.5796772

>>5796759
They can be used as approximations if you don't take the series to infinity, in which case calling them taylor series approximations would be correct. So you're wrong and presumptuous.

>> No.5796780

>>5796772

I only saw "taylor series approximations" and felt the need to write that, didn't see they were writing code to approximate for it. My apologies.

>> No.5796794

>>5796656
Yeah actually. Converts the numbers to strings of characters and do all the math with the strings, converting between data types as necessary.

It's exactly as tedious as it sounds, but if you need the precision it's your only option.

>> No.5796799

>>5796794
Holy shit, dat horrible speed

>> No.5796815

>>5796799
Yeah.

So screw it, Pi ends at 3.1415926. Good enough for me.

>> No.5796847

>>5795663

>Grade 10.
>Health Class
>Sex week (yes it was a week dedicated to learning about sex)
>Teacher asks how long it takes a woman to get prepared with foreplay for insertion during sex.
>Kid says 15-20 minutes.
>Asks how long it takes a guy.
>Other kid says 6 seconds.
>Laughter.

MFW I had the actual answer ready.

>> No.5796852

>>5796847

There's another answer?

>> No.5796857

>>5796847
>MFW
>Posts no face
D:

>> No.5796860

>>5796852
>>5796847
>virgins detected

It takes literally years to get a woman ready for sex.

>> No.5796867

>>5796860

No, for the guy. He said there was an answer that wasn't "6 seconds"

>> No.5796877
File: 34 KB, 500x500, 1365375268285.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>mfw I went to private high school with very high standards (uniforms and all)
>mfw I was by any definition a total slacker in high school
>mfw still learned a great deal by osmosis alone at an expensive institution and was still considered a genius by public school student standards
>mfw people tell me horror stories about public high schools and I had no idea what they were like till I was like 18

Holy fuck, thanks mom and dad for spending all your money sending me to a private high school.

>> No.5796908

>>5796481
>It turns out that our teacher teaches programming by handing out copies of finished VB 6 programs and then expects you to reproduce it. Nobody had a fucking clue what was going on, and we failed the task. One kid who I made friends with was blind, so he was allowed to learn and program in Python using a braille interface hooked up to a netbook. Once he'd read the python textbook he'd been given inside and out, he proceeded to surf Facebook all the time because the fucktarded sysadmins decided that giving him unfettered internet access was easier than integrating an Ubuntu machine into the network's netbalance utility.

What does a blind person even do on facebook?

>> No.5796910

You math and science buffs have it easy, it's almost always a right or wrong. I had a particular teacher who would fail my essays in English class for being too complex. Then in high school I got into a creative writing kick, oh the arguments we had over my works. That and history, history always pissed me off because of how they basically lie to you for the first 8 or so years of school. "Oh yes, the pilgrims and the Indians were the best of friends, and they shared corn and turkey and stuffing for thanksgiving!" I got sent to the office in the 5th grade, for bringing up that they also shared smallpox blankets.

>> No.5796949

>>5796024
Gauss

>> No.5796954

I freaking hate the kids at my school because they're so mathematically inept. In my calculus class, so many kids had trouble with simple things such as finding the equation of the tangent line to a function. Some of them didn't even know how to read first or second derivative graphs in order to make a conclusion about an "unknown" function. Some of them couldn't do simple integration, and when we got to integration by parts, many of them had trouble with finding the antiderivatives of functions like ln x, e^x sin x, e^x cos x, etc. They couldn't even do simple differential equations in their heads, and they found slope fields difficult and confusing.

I really hate these kids because I just spent all of my time reading through my calculus book and learning about amazing things such as polar coordinates and parametric equations and infinite series. I never learned about them in my Algebra 2 class, which is surprising because I feel as though kids from other schools do.

I honestly feel that those who are mathematically and scientifically inept should have been aborted.

>> No.5796974
File: 283 KB, 1322x1418, Chav_scally.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5796877
> Wow, this actually goes on at public schools?
> I went to a private school, I slacked off and I still got an amazing grade
I can feel my British class warfare instincts rising. Two whole generations of displeased Bright Young Things are urging me to wholesale civil disobedience and teach those upper class cunts a lesson, like.

Must... fight... urge.. to... firebomb... police... station...

>> No.5796977

>>5796910
Except the "smallpox blankets" incident may not even have happened, and the idea of doing it was not even considered until the french and indian war in the 1750s, long after pilgrims stopped being a relevant part of the colony's character.

Any diseases that natives and europeans traded on contact were incidental.

You are right that things weren't as rosy as they originally teach you, but your own conception is wrong as well.

>> No.5796980

>>5796908
>What does a blind person even do on facebook?
I'm not sure, I'll ask him. Give me a moment.

>> No.5796981

master race private school had class size of about 12 people and our teachers where often professors looking to work less demanding jobs.

>> No.5796986

>>5796980
He browsed the text-based portions of the site and chatted with people, apparently. He says that sometimes the braille interpreter was confused by the webpage formatting but for the most part it was good.

>> No.5796994

>>5795890
>first day of biology
>teacher is explaining atoms
>biology
>atoms

>> No.5797001

>>5796977
My bad, I abandoned history a while ago, it's all so finicky. The only things i'm really relevant in anymore are business law and administration and psychiatry

>> No.5797010

>>5795864
Autism mode: engaged
>Do I look round at them? Do I make eye contact?
>Manual breathing mode engaged
>Feel awkward I'm doing nothing with my hands
>I'm definitely sitting too rigidly
>Have an itch on my neck but remember scratching your neck is a sign of social anxiety
>Oh god, what if they make conversation?
>"Hi, you're anon, right?"
>"You too"

>> No.5797012

>>5796994
My physics teacher went into biology, chemistry and psychology from time to time. Though he knew what he was talking about.

>> No.5797013

>>5796994
>implying chemistry basics aren't necessary
Do you even have a high school education?

>> No.5797017

>>5797010
>>"Hi, you're anon, right?"
>>"You too"
Oh christ I do this at work. Though that's sometimes because it's fucking loud and I have to read lips.

>> No.5797016

actually, ive seen both sides of this. ive been in a programming class where he told us how and why every single part of something worked when all we trying to do was display text on a basic website.

we spend all term learning about all the details, and was overwhelmed with books and books of shit, and in the end most of us just went to a tutorial that showed us just, how to do it, not why it worked.

so we wasted a fuck ton of time learning what, and how every little thing worked and made nothing but text appear, when we could of made text appear, and learned why it worked when we needed to actually use it differently.

in certian applications its just too much information that gets in the way. it would be like teaching a car mechanic the physics of how fuel burns and shit, when hes just going to be replacing the whole thing in the end.

>> No.5797022

>>5796772
But a series is infinite.

>> No.5797027
File: 199 KB, 618x883, 1369641385107.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Grade 10
>Have to do an experiment where you make a chemical reaction using household materials
>I choose soap
>Bring olive oil and a plastic cup
>Explain the procedure
>"Anon, you shouldn't pour it and let it all sit in a plastic cup. Here, this aluminum muffin tray will work much better"
>
>Oh god there's lye everywhere

>> No.5797034

>>5796016
I am 24 and still barely wrap my head around it. But that is hilarious.

>> No.5797037

>>5795787
oh god
>have best friend
>he is an artist/writer
>I'm the "Sciency one" in my group of friends
>friends start making dumb claims about science
>correct them
>my best friend starts picking up on some concepts
>starts applying them to irrelevant things/misinterpreting them entirely
>extradimenshunal beings
>evolution automatically 'picks' the best traits
>everything can be explained with evolution
>natural selection can explain all things

I sometimes wish I'd never told him...

>> No.5797039

>>5796910
It was more that a plague wiped out a butt load of the Indians and the pilgrims seeing this moved onto the coast when they were all dead. They didn't even introduce the plague. With their severely reduced numbers the British were able to get a foothold in North America.

They also never teach you that the Indians were pretty bad ass, smart, and aesthetic as fuck. So much so that white men felt inferior looking at Indian men. They were also so great that a lot of pilgrims abandoned their own colonies to join the Natives. But school likes to teach they were dirty primitives with sky gods that just magically vanished.

>> No.5797043

>>5795939
fuck middle school math
>have Romanian teacher
>heavy accent
>makes algebra boring as shit
>the only kids doing well in the class are the Asians who fear DISHONORU rather than poor grades themselves
>teaches quadratic factoring as FOIL
>"I don't get why you need to do FOIL, could you explain in a little more?"
>Romanian fuck starts getting annoyed and shouting about bowling with his cousin
>also encourages kids to write homework questions on the board at the beginning of class to review concepts
>gets mad when a majority of the class is asking for help on a particular problem

>> No.5797048

>>5796117
>>5795941
You also risk a staph infection.

>> No.5797049

>>5797043
>shouting about bowling with his cousin
Spaghetti detected.

>> No.5797050

>>5797037
you should tell that man about programming, he'll probably crap his pants when he realizes what's possible

>> No.5797052

>>5796016
>teacher
>rambling about etymology
Thank you.

>> No.5797078

>>5796511

Can you tell us the method you used?

>> No.5797087

>>5795772
Also person you are sucking (off) might get an infection and venom could get into your bloodstream via micro bruises in your mouth. There are actually reasons, it's not just your retarded teacher.

>> No.5797089

>>5795846
It's a valid metaphor, even if the guy who said it didn't know it.

>> No.5797231

>>5795663
>be in grade 10 chemistry
>learning about Mercury(the element durrr)
>isnt mercury a planet?
>continue to slam my head on the desk
>week later
>for some reason discussing how rubber is made
>same girl asks can you drink from a rubber tap?
>she moves out of my class a week after that
>teacher and the entire class have a small party

>> No.5797249

>at school
>lining up for lunch
>one of the cool, playboy jock kids one or two places in front of me wonders out loud
>hey, how come breast meat is white, but leg meat is brown
>one of his cool player friends nods and goes "oh yeah" as though it was some really smart question or deep mystery
>I offer in an unoffensive tone
>because leg meat has more myoglobin because they're more active muscles
>the guy who asked the question turns around bemused and the teacher who was standing near by starts chuckling
>the player guy makes an annoyed face and turns around while saying something like "that's just lame"

>> No.5797282

>in class
>some dumb kid says something stupid and wrong
>i chuckle lightly but audibly to myself to grab the attention of my peers
>i proceed to explain why the person is wrong and also stupid while finishing it all off with an amusing quip
>all the gorgeous ladies in our classroom fawn and swoon over me
>the whole classroom laughs at the stupid manchild
>the manchild is reduced to tears
>the teacher says "well done anon, well done" as a round of applause follows in honor of my excellence

this thread.

>> No.5797283

>>5796954
>tenth grader blogging.

Get the fuck out.

>> No.5797305

>"Gay" comes from the name "Guy Fawkes"

>> No.5797308

>biology y7 (aged 11 for you non brits)
>teacher explaining diffusion and insect body shape
>have a lod of little cubes, have to make different shapes then calculate max diffusion distance
>"what's the best shape you can make class"
>all "a cube"
>"correct, because if you have an 8x1x1 cuboid, distance is 4, whereas for a 2x2x2 cube it's only 1 so it's the best shape for diffusion"
>correct teacher, actually it's root(3) and a sphere is better
>no it isn't
>yes it is, why are you lying
>teacher gets mad, gives me dentention after school
>come to detention with proof written on paper
>yes I know anon, but you shouldn't contradict me and you shouldn't call me liar

stupid bitch. I went to a good school as well (~10-15% oxbridge)

>> No.5797311

>>5796974
>being a pleb
I went to state school (admittedly a selective one) and had barely ever met private school people, except the all girls private school that our school did events with (all boys). When I got to uni about 60% of my year is private schooled and you can't tell at all. They're all perfectly nice and perfectly normal.

If I get rich I am definitely sending my kids to private school. They are objectively better in every sense, anyone who thinks otherwise is just a jelly pleb with an entitlement complex

>> No.5797314

>>5797308
>non brits

Scotfag here. We don't count years like this.

>> No.5797315

>>5797314
>muh advanced highers

True, but I assume you know what I meant because you have a lot of interaction. I know vaguely how it works if only from have scottish friends at uni.

>> No.5797317

>>5797315
>from have
from having*

>> No.5797377

>>5796339
Of course the entire infinite Taylor series is exact. Good luck representing the entire thing on hardware.

They actually made a factorial function, exponential function (assuming the exponent was a natural number), and then a function called "TaylorTerm" which tied it all together and was iteratively called with varying parameters. (oh and they remade rad2deg and deg2rad)

This showed:
>how to map a seemingly complex problem to code (we coded it "live", without the answer pre-prepared)
>how to use loops
>how to use functions
>how to break a problem into its subparts
>made several key math concepts they would ultimately be taught (likely very poorly) tangible and accessible

I explained how this is not actually how sine/cosine are implemented in the real world (I talked about look up tables and Newtonian approximation), but that coding it this way was an exercise and more *fun*. Also, it really drove home how powerful modern computers are (even embedded): the system was *extremely* computationally inefficient (would recalculate instead of store some computationally expensive values!) and yet was responding quickly enough to load balance the motors very nicely.

We did end up using a black box solution for arctan, though. And our gradient descent was hacky, it only traveled along each axis in turn instead of using the real gradient.

Still really good results since they came to me A) never having coded before B) half not knowing the equations of a circle [area, circumference, etc] C) not knowing trig D) not knowing derivative or integral.

I kind of wish I could set up a little shop, say on the weekends, and have kids come and learn shit like that from me. When no one is forcing them, and there are no grades, it can be really easy to share some earnestly cool shit with just normal kids who would else wise be sitting around with their thumbs up their asses.

>> No.5797387

>>5796794
That is not correct (it is not your only option). Schoolbook arithmetic is O(n^2) for multiplication and division. There exist abstract data types which keep the numerator and denominator as (arbitrarily large) integers, and preserve the entire rational expression. When they add dissimilar fractions they can find the common denominator, etc as how a human would.

Trying to do this with irrational numbers is a bitch, but honestly very good approximations exist for these. And because the difference in scale between the smallest and largest structures in the universe is "only" about a factor of 10^50, only about 50 decimal places of precision is necessary for pi, e, etc in the worst case (though its easy enough to give them an extra 50 decimal places of precision if you really feel like it).

Yes it is far slower than hardware accelerated double point arithmetic, but far faster than schoolbook arithmetic on parsed strings.

Plenty of languages support complex numbers, units, etc as fundamental data types.

>> No.5797397

>>5795680
x = .999...
10x = 9.999...
10x - x = 9
9x = 9
x = 1
.999... = 1

>> No.5797404

>yeah you don't need to learn how to integer various function to pass calculus, you only have to study these theorems...

>> No.5797448

>>5796501
i know what school you went to, and im pretty sure i know who you are.
Tyson or aidan i'm guessing, i doubt many of the other people who were in our class would go on here

>> No.5797453

>>5796501
>>5797448

also, if i'm correct
>seals and gps data

>> No.5797456

>>5795730

its a pedagogical thing .. "hand wave" you don't need to know everything in one lecture even tho everything is connected.

you want to break up the things you need to learn and do it piece by piece

>> No.5797457

>>5795663
Prepare your anus.
Student: > How strong is the gravity in a black hole?
Teacher: > Just use 9.8 bro

>> No.5797461

>>5797457
That has to be fake. No one is that dumb.. at least that's what I try to convince myself.

>> No.5797467

>>5797461
well a distance from the black hole may not have been specified, as such it would be acceptable to make an assumption that it is at a point with X gravity. and in this case X is a number the student is familiar working with.

if on the other hand they meant
>9.8m/s inside a black hole
i have no words

>> No.5797478

>>5795746
This subject is, however, hotly debated.[3]

-Wiki

>> No.5797489

>you're too stupid for university
Got my masters cum laude, and am now doing my PhD. My first internship project during my masters I published first author, and this summer I'm expecting to publish my master's thesis on the side. Fucking teachers.

>> No.5797505

>>5796275
>I have never cared for/studied biology/anatomy.

And yet you were trying to use it to "prove" some idiotic point. This shows how much of an incompetent hypocrite you are. As much of an idiot as any person you seem to think you are above.

>> No.5797509

>>5796275
>I got suspended for 3 days because I was reading during the "minute of silence". They would come on the intercom and you were supposed to pray during it.

No, you are supposed to reflect upon what the minute of silence is for. Not read like an arrogant twat.

>I was also chastised for not putting my hand over my heart during the pledge, nor speaking along (though I did grudgingly stand and look at the flag).
>WAAA I can't stand to be at least supportive if not loyal to the nation that gives me free education, books, and every privileged I take for granted!
Sooo edgy...

>> No.5797513

>>5797509
not_even_the_same_guy.jpg
>privilege
>on /sci/

get the fuck out and don't come back

>> No.5797518

>>5797513
>thinking eing raised anywhere in the US doesn't provide priveledge
>allowing Tumblr idiocy to infect your mind and distort the meaning of a word

Get an intellect or ooze your way back to your pit.

>> No.5797525

>>5797518
>implying that words don't have their meaning derived from their general public use
>implying that the general public use of privilege hasn't been distorted into an insult of sorts

please go drink some mercury

>> No.5797532

>>5797525
>thinking the internet is general public use

HAHAHA!!!! I bet you think 4chan is some secret club too.

>> No.5797534

>>5797532
>thinks that feminism only exists on the internet
my mind has been blown by how little you go outside

>> No.5797551

>>5795939
>being an autist
there are social norms you know.

>> No.5797556

>>5796654
But non-rote education makes dumb kids feel bad about themselves, and that's much worse then kids not learning.

School isn't about learning, it's about self esteem, group work, and submitting to authority.

>> No.5797563

>>5796860
> implying women are ever ready for sex
The more distant from rape a sexual encounter is, the less likely a girl is to cum.

>> No.5797574

>>5795935
You had a teacher you made you stick your hands in LYE? You should have sued, that's actual negligence.

>> No.5797584

>>5795746
Nut fire is a plasma, isn't it?

>> No.5797625

>>5795730
>Why do schools do this?
>at GCSE level

Dude, are you serious? Remember how easy GCSE Maths was? Now remember how many thickos found that Higher paper insanely difficult and think about how 50% or more of people weren't even entered for that paper, but were entered for the Foundation paper where they just traced stuff on paper.

People are idiots. It's hard enough getting average Joe to learn super basic algebra, let alone throwing maths into physics and chemistry from the start.

I'd have loved to be introduced to calculus in physics and chemistry instead of having to wait until I chose the subject at university to bring the two together. But most people are too stupid for that.

>> No.5797638

>>5796043
>Secondary school teacher in Britain, so 11-16 year olds...

Reading thread so apologies if you've already posted more.

If not, more stories! What subject do you teach?

>> No.5797657

>>5797509
>>5797505
Eh, I was a shithead when I was 11, so? That was 15 years ago, and like I said it was the cumulative result of years of exposure to a unrelenting, unreasonable environment.

It was very clear that they were upset that I wasn't praying. Everyone else had hands clasped, eyes closed, muttering to themselves about Jesus, including the teacher. This was actually in a gifted class, at that.

Maybe if our science class hadn't been dictated by scripture then I would not have been ignorant. The difference is that I am utterly unafraid to be wrong. Nowadays I push myself very hard, and as a result am often working with concepts at the fringe of my knowledge. I am very frequently wrong.

I am acutely aware of how lucky I am. I have an autoimmune disorder that would have killed me without a fantastically expensive drug that was only recently invented. I've been starved for a day or two as a form of punishment, but I've never been *starving*.

But I found it surreal & horrifying to stand in unison & repeat a pledge to one nation 'under' the same force that people evoked to justify their hatred, sadism, racism, bigotry, sexual abuse, etc that I witnessed first hand, on an ongoing basis. No, I wasn't going to pledge allegiance to a functional theocracy. (I would however fight to support the principles it supposedly stood for, not necessarily the nation; especially when they are in conflict.)

page break

>> No.5797667

>>5797657
Yeah it was the way a child would approach it, and your point is? I mean, what are you really trying to accomplish here?

I got tormented intellectually, physically, mentally, emotionally, etc by a lot of things over a long period of time, and ultimately I broke. But I picked myself back up, and fought back. No that process wasn't pretty, yeah I made an ass out of myself, and no I won't (unilaterally) apologize for it. But I did have the wisdom to calm down (after a few years), and even devoted years of effort to improving the lives of others.

Do you not understand that I have a hard time *imagining* what it would be like to be concerned about what a guy on 4chan said? My last fuck was given a long time ago. I mean, if that was supposed to be your internet-tough-guy-who-criticises-others routine, I just gotta wonder how you thought it was applicable to the situation at hand.

>> No.5797716

>>5796024
I'm guessing many, many people have done that. Gauss was the on in my maths book.

>> No.5797720

>>5797716
Yeah, I geometrically inferred the equation for triangular numbers. If *I* can do it, I am going to assume a lot of people have.

>> No.5797737

>>5795774
If you did that in the middle of class you should know that everyone else hated your ass for taking up classtime with irrelevant bullshit.

>> No.5797744

>>5797574
>dilute

>> No.5797752

>>5797563
This caveat again.

>> No.5797762

>>5797744
Dilute NaOH is still caustic because it's a strong base. They should have worn gloves if they were submerging their hands in it.

>> No.5797779
File: 52 KB, 640x432, 125433176084.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5797762
>Dilute NaOH is still caustic because it's a strong base.
Being a "strong base" has nothing to do with how caustic a substance is, it merely describes how the chemical dissociates in solution.

In general, a dilute solution of NaOH is no better or worse than any other basic solution of equal pH, no matter what chemical was used to produce the solution. The corrosive action of the solution will depend on the pH of the solution (and, in a few rare edge cases, possibly on the special chemistry of the other ion, like hydrofluoric acid and aqua regia), and if the solution is dilute and the pH is within an acceptable range, it doesn't matter if sodium hydroxide was used to prep it.

Now, obviously, the teacher in this case was a dumbass and his "dilute" solution wasn't dilute enough, but that doesn't mean you can't safely be exposed to a properly dilute solution and be fine.

>> No.5797791

>>5797779
This is human physiology in affect, some ions are definitely more lethal than others even if the base's pH is equivalent.

>> No.5797795

>>5797791
And that still has nothing to do with being a strong or weak base, and also doesn't apply to sodium.

The toxicity of sodium hydroxide comes from the excess hydroxide ions, not the sodium ions.

>> No.5797815

Out of interest, would aqueous sodium ions be slightly acidic?

>> No.5797819

>>5797779
>aqua regia
When Germany invaded Denmark in World War II, Hungarian chemist George de Hevesy dissolved the gold Nobel Prizes of German physicists Max von Laue (1914) and James Franck (1925) in aqua regia to prevent the Nazis from confiscating them. The German government had prohibited Germans from accepting or keeping any Nobel Prize after jailed peace activist Carl von Ossietzky had received the Nobel Peace Prize in 1935. De Hevesy placed the resulting solution on a shelf in his laboratory at the Niels Bohr Institute. It was subsequently ignored by the Nazis who thought the jar—one of perhaps hundreds on the shelving—contained common chemicals. After the war, de Hevesy returned to find the solution undisturbed and precipitated the gold out of the acid. The gold was returned to the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences and the Nobel Foundation. They re-cast the medals and again presented them to Laue and Franck

Interesting.

>> No.5797826

>>5797815
Sodium isn't acidic or basic. pH is based on H+ (H3O) or OH, not other ions.

>> No.5797822

>>5797819
Single greatest chemistry moment in recorded human history.

>> No.5797825

>>5797815
Depends on how you got them there. If you throw sodium metal into water, it will react to give off hydrogen gas and leave behind aqueous hydroxide ions, resulting in a basic solution.

>> No.5797996

>>5796095
>>5796100
>Be graduating from college in a month
>Suddenly realize calculator I've had since 10th grade can do integration.
I still have that manual in my room. Haven't read a single full page probably.

>> No.5798019

>>5795774
Wow, Brodin, you still are a whiny little shit.

>> No.5798035

>>5797826
Metal ion acidity 101:
Adding iron(III) ions to water makes it acidic. This is because the metal iron forms a hexaaqua complex ion, [Fe(H2O)6]3+, with each oxygen molecule acting as a ligand and forming a dative covalent bond with the central metal ion. The electron density donated to these dative bonds <increases the polarity of/reduces the electron density in> the OH bonds in the water ligands, meaning they can donate hydrogen ions to other water molecules more readily than they would otherwise. The same effect can be seen with Fe(II) ions, but to a significantly lesser degree.

I was wondering if, in experiments where Na+ is a spectator ion, it has an effect on the acidity of the solution for the same reason.

>> No.5798064

>>5795742
Uh... the blood in your body IS blue.

>> No.5798073

>>5798064
no its not.

>> No.5798080

>>5798064
No, it's not. Google it.

Or, if you want a demonstration, go blood doning. Venal blood is taken from your arm and is clearly a dim red. Alternatively, you can become a surgeon and take a look at an arterial blood vessel up close, it'll have the same blue tint.

>> No.5798087

>>5798073
>>5798080
Thanks but I'm going to trust my prof. of surgery rather than some anons on 4chan.

>> No.5798091

>>5798087
saying that to cover up your lack of knowledge isnt fooling anyone. this "prof. of surgery" guy doesn't really even exist.

>> No.5798094

>>5798091
Sure he does, I'm dentistry student and he said this few months ago during a course on circulatory system.

>> No.5798106

>>5798087
Either you're trolling, or you need to learn when to quit when you're not too far behind.

Human blood is red when deoxygenated.[1][2][3]

1) http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ws2uL6yIjaMC&pg=PA33&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false
2) http://scienceblogs.com/scientificactivist/2008/04/17/why-are-veins-blue/
3) http://scienceline.ucsb.edu/getkey.php?key=2927

>> No.5798109

>>5797249
>That's just lame.
lol

>> No.5798251
File: 19 KB, 337x342, 1361731208566.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5795926
I should feel really stupid for not seeing the problem with this

>> No.5798282

>>5795920
try to execute order of operations to produce .9999 repeating.. you can;t becasue it produces 1... .9999 does not exist sorry, it is not "no numbers between them" that is wrong.. it is just .999 does not exist.. becasue it is one

>> No.5798289

>>5798064
no its not

>> No.5798306

>>5797249
the teacher chuckled cuz you sounded like a pompous prick

>> No.5798319
File: 20 KB, 320x304, thumb_COLOURBOX3914105.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5798064
no its never blue.. sometimes though it does look black/ blue / purple under the skin a bit.. and when you take it out of the body from veins without oxygen exposure pic related is the color..

interesting if you open up a blood donation bag and expose it to air.. it will very quickly start becoming bright red

>> No.5798350

>>5798282
futuramafry.jpg

>> No.5798361

>>5795663
>In the first electron shell there are 2 electrons
>After that they all have 8
>>>"What about the transition metals?"
>We don't talk about the transition metals

>> No.5798561

>>5798064
lol/10

>> No.5798582

>>5798094
Well... your wrong. hemoglobin never goes blue.

>> No.5799831

>>5795890
gravity does "work" on the subatomic scale, the only thing is that it's so small, that it's basically null.

Anything that has mass is affected by gravity, subatomic particles are not a special case. We never consider it because at that scale it is too small to make any kind of difference, but it doesn't mean it's not there

>> No.5799860

>>5797509

wow pol, nice to see you around, but please don't overstay your welcome

>> No.5799875
File: 1.07 MB, 266x268, 1358575811448.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5798080
>>5798319
>>5798289
>>5798106

you guys are all so stupid, blood just has a blue and a red colored side, when it isn't in contact with oxygen the blue side always faces towards the outside of your veins.
but when you bleed, it senses the oxygen and they flip over, showing the red sides.
that's why blood is blue in your veins and red when outside of them.

>MFW this was the explanation given to me by the school nurse at age 13 after i had violently broken my arm
>even with a broken arm and symptoms of blood loss at the age of 13 i knew it was bullshit

>> No.5800739
File: 159 KB, 435x419, 1368413595767.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5797556

i c wot u did dar xD xD

>> No.5800748
File: 411 KB, 584x439, 1368566247971.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5799875

lol would've straight up slapped that bitch, asking her if the redness in her face is cause of red blood cells deciding "Meh, this side of the pillow isn't cold" and rolling over

>> No.5800755

Elementary school, but too outrageous to not mention it

> Carl has run two laps and a half on a standard running track. What distance has he covered?
> A) 1 km
> B) 2 500 m
> C) 1 000 m
> D) 2.5 km
> E) 0.1000 km

Guess which answers were intended.

>> No.5800766

>glass is a slowly flowing liquid, that's why old window panes are thicker at the bottom

And that stupid explanation of lift force involving two particles taking the same amount of time to travel under or over the wing.

>> No.5800772

>>5800755
I have no idea how long a standard running track is, but since A is the same as C and B is the same as D, I'd say the answer is 100 m, E.

>> No.5800791

>>5797819
I love reading about this over and over again. It is so awesome.

>> No.5800806

>>5800772
>I have no idea how long a standard running track is
Where are you from where this is not common knowledge? A standard running track is 400 meters. The intended answers were A, C, and E.
> mfw

>> No.5800810

>>5800806
Given my knowledge of anything sports-related, it's probably common knowledge here as well.

>> No.5800813

>>5800806
Not him, but I grew up in Texas and would have had no clue.

>> No.5800829

>>5800806
> and E.
look again

>> No.5800841
File: 107 KB, 465x640, Socrates Plato Basketball The Ideas.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5797737

>implying these debates would not happen at the end of class when the lesson is already done.
>implying everyone was not left to their own devices.
>implying some idiots didn't just feel to immediately take up a position on an issue they had no knowledge of simply because the teacher was participating.
>implying the majority of my classmates really cared about their classes and not about who's fucking who or cannabis.
>Caring about others' opinions when the majority of them would never seriously go out of their way to help you in times of need nor would you see much of them later in life.

>mfw

>>5798019

Da fuck you goin' on about?

>> No.5800866

>>5795787
at least you went over natural selection. In my hs bio class we didn't even cover NS. I thought I hated BIO in HS because of my fat cunt of a teacher. However now I am a biology major

>> No.5800888

>>5800866
We didn't either (class of 2003, Texas).

Sadly, I had a sorely lacking biology/math education, took no physics, very little chemistry, but 5 years (jr high + high school), 4 of which were required, of Spanish.

And my district was one of the highest rated ones in the state, and in the south Texas was actually doing rather well in education, comparatively.

I'm still (nowadays it's at least my fault, now that we have access to everything on the Internet and I'm an adult) clawing back up to a basic competency in mathematics. I just turned 28 and I think I'm where a high school graduate should be (cal 1-level shit, self taught).

Scarier part: I live in a college town and people think I'm smart because I taught myself cal 1 using online lectures and downloaded (er, purchased!) textbooks.

>fuck the US education system, it failed us all
>but hey football was fun

>> No.5800893

>>5800866
My biology teacher at school was a cunt and predicted me a C because I never did anywork
>mfw I' got 100% on his paper and about to graduate with a BA in Genetics

>> No.5800934

>>5795992
I don't understand.
Light is affected by gravity.
Go easy on the apostrophes as well

>> No.5801500

>>5800866
>at least you went over natural selection. In my hs bio class we didn't even cover NS.
>biology class
>not covering natural selection

Oh god, my highschool mathematics education never even described the concept of differentiation. In my first year of college, it took me the longest time to fully understand the concept; and then when I got it, my jaw fucking dropped. I was like, "WHAT, YOU CAN DO THAT, HOW DOES THAT EVEN WORK". That's how I became obsessed with calculus and fields of science requiring advanced knowledge of calculus, and why I am now a physics major.

I'm so glad I'm in college now, instead of highschool. Every new concept I learn, in every new math class I take, is more interesting than the previous one. Integration was more interesting than differentiation; and differential equations were more interesting than integration.

Seriously, fuck highschool for sucking the scientific spirit out of me and making me want to be a linguistics major. That did NOT work out. I ended up dropping out of college for a year, after losing my financial aid, and then having to spend another year earning it back by taking classes on my own money.

>> No.5801505

>>5801500
Oh also, none of my highschool classes EVER told me what imaginary numbers were. I did not even understand what they were until just a few months ago, when we FINALLY went over them in my differential equations class. I used to fear and revile them as something totally unintuitive and apparently mathematically useless; but now I fucking adore them.

>> No.5801542

>>5796481
>having a class on programming
American public school is suffering.

>> No.5801546

>>5801505
If you just finished your first DE class, just wait. They get even more fun.

Do you understand why i^i is real?

I never learned trig in school. Now I am a computational physicist. It took years of being out of public school until I remember that I actually loved learning!

>> No.5801591

12th grade chem BR teacher:
>plasma state is like the one you find on jello!

>> No.5801635

>>5796481
> Entire class plays flash games we keep on the public folders
lel the memories

>> No.5801636

>Teacher: what does the P in CHNOPS mean?
>everyone ways phosphate
>I say that phosphate is not an element and that it's phosphorus
>teacher tells me to stop trying to correct her and that she is right
>bring up a website on my laptop that clearly shows phosphate is not an element
>teacher tells me that wikipedia is not reliable and that phosphate is an element

>> No.5801638

>being told area formulas before finding about area integrals
>being told volume formulas before finding out about volume integrals
>being told surface area formulas before surface integrals
>learning formulas for work before learning about line integrals and vector operations
>being told the formulas for kinematics before learning basic diff eq/parametric equations and seeing how they're easily derived
>being taught probability informally in HS, correct this all and learn it properly in uni, mfw normal distribution gives error function
>...
>..
>.

How fucking shit is my life? Which countries in the world have proper STEM education that goes sequentially? there is s a fuck ton more things I could list, but I digress.

>> No.5801640

>>5801636
>qualified chem teacher
>periodic table

>> No.5801641

>>5801640
She was a biology teacher, not sure if we had a periodic table in the classroom

>> No.5801642

>>5801638
Australia does. Went to public HS, did chem, phys, bio, adv. math etc. Taught well. A lot of science teachers here aren't stupid.

>> No.5801644

>>5801641
ah

>> No.5801648

>>5801642

I mean that you don't get to learn kinematics until you've learned all the math behind it. i.e you do all the math required to understand physics, so ideally calc 1-3+ ODE before doing any physics at all, you can take PDE/linear algebra later

what I'm asking for is basically uni level rigor in HS

>> No.5801650

>>5801638
They do this on purpose. The reason is so that people learn enough to be useful. Think about this every time you try to tell pure mathfags that the shit they do doesn't matter because it's not applicable. This is precisely how they see the rest of STEM.

>> No.5801653

>>5801648
Well in my HS, you could do extension 2 maths (4unit), I think they learnt kinematics there. But my math teacher actually taught everything (including history) of the maths. Probably won't get uni level in HS unless it's top tier or private.

>> No.5801698

>>5795890
>gravity doesn't work at the subatomic level

I wish I had that "full Retard" picture saved.

Babby steps. You know the equation that describes the gravitational force?

Well what happens when you insert a very small number for the masses of the objects?

Good, you get a very small number. Is that number zero?

No, it's not. good. What if you made those masses smaller and smaller?

Still not zero, okay?

>> No.5801701

>>5795926
Explain, Pythagoras.

>> No.5801708

>>5800841
Stupidfag doesn't even have the original one without a watermark.

>> No.5801715

>>5798361
That's a pretty useful guide until SPDF is taught

>> No.5801723

>>5796492
Mine too.

I was having trouble with my new flash drive one day. My dumb-as-a-brick IT teacher happened to walk by as I crawled around to the back of the computer to plug it in.

"Anon what are you doing?"

"I'm trying to get my flash drive to work."

"Can I see it?"

I handed it to her. She looked at it in her hand then asked "is this a USB?"

"Yeah..."

She looked at the ports on the front of the computer then tried to plug in the device. She must have had it backwards because it didn't work. She then took another long look at it and said "is this a USB?"

"Yes, yes it is."

She then did the exact same thing one more time. "Is this a USB?"

"Yes. Here, I'll get it."

And I got the damn thing plugged in. And that kids is how I met your mother.

>> No.5801740

>>5797010
>"Hi, you're anon, right?"
>"You too"

literally lol'd

>> No.5801749

>>5797249
>someone asks a stupid question
>has a readily available answer

holy shit. props.

>> No.5801786

>>5801636
>wikipedia not reliable

You should have clicked on some of the sources at the bottom.

>> No.5801803

There's not really one worst moment I can recall, but high school algebra 2 was just overall shit. The teacher was an obese woman who actually used a wheelchair some days. She was also a totally unhelpful cunt.

Once she was telling us how to multiply matrices (note that this was with no mention ever of vectors). Someone asked her to slow down and she just said "You guys need to learn this!" in this amused singsong voice. That was her usual response to being asked a question.

The grading was totally arbitrary too.
>no credit for work done in pen
>got graded for having our binders organized a certain way
>points taken off for numbering papers horizontally rather than vertically
We even had a test on memorizing the squares of numbers up to 20 and cubes of numbers up to 10.

And of course there was no call for actually understanding anything, which probably saved my ass grade-wise (god forbid the woman actually care about students learning). I passed with a B just memorizing steps as best as I could. I don't think I ever really understood algebra until I finished pre-calculus.

>> No.5801818

>>5801803
>no credit for work done in pen
>got graded for having our binders organized a certain way
>points taken off for numbering papers horizontally rather than vertically
>We even had a test on memorizing the squares of numbers up to 20 and cubes of numbers up to 10.

That's pretty stupid. You poor bastard.

>> No.5801862

>>5801818
I mean, she actually had us pass up our binders to her every two weeks, and we'd get worksheets or some inane busy work to keep us occupied while she checked to make sure "this paper is here" and "that paper is there." In what way does that help me learn math? If anything, it just contributed bulky shit that I didn't need weighing down my backpack.

>> No.5801865

>>5795992
But you were right, though...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_lens

>> No.5801871

>>5795663
Oh my God. "Percent Hydrogen" oh dear I nearly lost it.

>> No.5801880

>>5795939
I fucking hate teachers like that.

>> No.5801887

>>5796205
Did you go to private school? Because I can relate.

>> No.5801896

>>5801862
Yeah that's pretty pointless. The only thing my math teacher did was make us put margins and date our work just because it's efficient/neater.

>> No.5801926

>>5801546
>Do you understand why i^i is real?

Yep! I even attempted to use it to disprove Euler's theorem, until my teacher explained that functions can be multivalued.
Which makes me wonder: if i^i can be multivalued, why can't the inverse trigonometric functions?

>> No.5801937

>>5801650
>Think about this every time you try to tell pure mathfags that the shit they do doesn't matter because it's not applicable.

I've been told that people do math majors because employers love hiring math majors. I was too worried about not specializing, so I went with a physics major; but I never saw reason to judge math majors as being useless.

>> No.5801939

>super-awesome middle school math teacher who encourages understanding and hates most grade-school textbooks for being too "fuzzy" and not actually explaining concepts
>super-awesome high school math teacher with a PhD in nuclear chromatography or something who's knowledgeable about pretty much every branch of math and physics and genuinely loves seeing kids learn
>my two favorite teachers
guess I lucked out

>> No.5801962
File: 18 KB, 386x384, wat.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5801803
Not as terrible, but I recall having a pretty cringeworthy experience with proofs in calculus 1. When they come out of nowhere and ask you to use the actual definition of a limit after your instructor's told you a hundred times "To find the limit, you just plug in what you're approaching!" It wasn't terribad, but it was another instance of just following steps and the instructor didn't explain it very well.

>someone asks "What's epsilon?"
>A small number
>"What's delta?"
>Another small number
>class's face when

>> No.5801963

>>5801962
Man, I never fucking understood epsilon and delta. It didn't help that my teacher had a thick indian accent and I could only understand about 2/3 of the words he said.

>> No.5801968

>>5801963
It's just asking "I don't know if my function exists at this x, but if I look at x's really close to it, are their function values really close to something in particular?" If so, that value is called the limit.

I never even saw the graphical interpretation of it until I started studying real analysis.

>> No.5801969

>>5801939
>PhD
>teach in high school

why

>> No.5801973
File: 9 KB, 190x136, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5801969
Gee, I wonder who his teacher could be.

>> No.5802000

>>5796007
>Five different revisions of how atoms actually worked

What? Who actually does this?

>> No.5802006

>>5796226
"Unschooling" is an idea promoted by various people, none of whom are bible-toting rednecks. Ivan Illich is the most famous, and although he was a Catholic, he never suggested it as a path for biblical exploration.

And yes, giving children autonomy and self-management will allow them to retain more, and even enjoy themselves while learning. Students who are homeschooled (and even unschooled) usually score higher on standardized tests than their public or private schooled peers.

You're just another fucking liberal with an inflated ego. You want to manage the work of others, even though you can't even manage your own shit. Fuck off. You're hated for a good reason.

>> No.5802017

>>5799875
I dont believe you anon. Even a school nurse would know thats bullshit.

>> No.5802020

>>5800755
Obviously C and A

>> No.5802025

>>5801635
>not playing CS1.6 or HaloCE via school network

>> No.5802062

>>5802006
>Using liberal as a pejorative
>>/pol/

>> No.5802078

>RE (AKA, let's convert the kids to Catholicism)
>Y9
>Teacher taking advantage of the limited understanding of biology of the majority of the class to blinside them with the whole watch on a beach metaphor
>I'm fuming
>"Sir, watches don't fuck"
-"What?"
>Sir, watches don't fuck. They don't contain within them the code or the mechanisms necessary to reproduce"

>Get detention for my 'watches don't fuck' hypothesis which turns into an afterschool detention when my response to what I've learnt is that religion is like a mushroom, it shies away from the light of reality and is best nourished by horse shit.

>> No.5802092

>>5796656
typedef struct {
int enum;
int denom;
} frac;

>> No.5802097

>>5802078
Watch on a beach metaphor?

>> No.5802105

>>5802097
It's an argument for the existence of god.

If you were walking on a beach and saw a watch on the ground, you would know that it could only have been created by a watchmaker. As life also involves complicated mechanisms, life could only have been created by a God

>> No.5802106

>>5802105
How terribly silly.

>> No.5802109

>>5802105
Clearly the watch evolved.

>> No.5802176

>>5797317
Correcting an obvious typo is your defense.

>> No.5802199

>>5797397

But this is a false proof.
you cannot subtract an infinite number from an infinite number.

>> No.5802222

>>5802199
0.999... is not infinite though

>> No.5802227

>>5796016
Thanks for this, early science is boring whenever you haven't got the bunsens out or aren't watching sex ed videos.

At least rambling about stuff will perk an interest in a few minds.

>> No.5802228

>>5795680
>>5802199
Anyway you can just prove it by treating it as a geometric series and summing it to infinity.

Series: ar^(n-1)
a = 0.9
r = 10^(-1)

Sum to infinity = a/(1-r) = 0.9/0.9 = 1

>> No.5802628

>>5797584
it's a mix between gas and plasma where only the hottest regions contained ionized gas (plasma)

>> No.5803527

>>5796877
lel it's funny cos over here public schools are the best schools in the country

>> No.5804479
File: 5 KB, 233x216, 1367449169284.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Ace most tests, do fine on projects, NEVER DO HOMEWORK.
>Be "gifted."
>Get put in "gifted" class.
>Get pulled out of "gifted" class as "punishment" so that I will focus more on my regular classes.
>Continue not doing homework.
>Almost fail out of High School.
>IQ > 130, family is white but has no munniez for college.
>Currently working for a carnival at the age of 38 while planning daring art heists.

How do I successfully sue my public school system for failing to produce a productive scientist? I'm so sincere.

>> No.5804481

>>5804479
read first line
already knew you were talking about high school.

>> No.5804493

>>5804479
>want to be productive scientist
>so sincere
>never does homework
>fails
dunno

>> No.5804503

>>5804479
>I have an IQ of 130 therefore I would be a great scientist
no

>> No.5804521

>Photography class
>teacher is talking about intensity of light in relation to distance
>something about light particles moving slower or faster depending on its distance from you
>calls it Einstein's Theory of Relativity

>> No.5805012

>>5801926
Just consider the principle value, if you can. Makes life much easier.

>>5802006
Your tears are delicious.

>none of whom are bible-toting rednecks
Oh really? Someone has never been to the south.

Yeah no shit giving kids autonomy and self management is a good idea; the typical classroom lecture format is possibly the /worst/ way to teach. But it can be/is often done irresponsibly, and with disastrous consequences.

However, there exist plenty of people who take this to extreme and never send their kids to school, and possibly never even teach them how to read. Many of the ones who do never progress past an elementary reading level. Many of those parents consider their job done at that point and let Sunday-school take over.

These children perceive no cultural emphasis on education, and spend their days playing video games/running wild in the woods/hanging out with others like them (or working on the farm). I don't blame the kids, video games are easy and fun, while going from not knowing how to subtract to having a university education is hard, and a huge undertaking requiring years of effort. What percentage of country kids will really effectively self teach in those circumstances?

It may not be what you call unschooling but it is a real (heartrendingly terrible) thing, and they use the same word for it.

I was homeschooled, as were almost all of my most intelligent students. However, I have never met a public school student (in my classroom) who couldn't read. My first year 10% of the homeschoolers could not read [11 out of 110 students!]. A huge number (>50%) of them could not read an analog clock, and ~10% wore shoes fastened with Velcro /because they didn't know how to tie their shoes/. It would seem in my experience that homeschooling causes a much greater variance in the quality of education.

>liberal with inflated ego
Unrepentantly! And your tears are still delicious.

>> No.5805978

>>5797089

It's not even remotely valid. A better metaphor would be:

>everyone's sitting around a huge fire, they've got everything set up so they are at the perfect temperature (right number of clothes, right distance, etc)
>some fucker builds a fucking greenhouse around them
>oh shit everything has to change
>except changing kills millions of people