[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 17 KB, 300x258, trig.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5779259 No.5779259[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

I'm currently in college and taking trigonometry this summer after not taking any math classes in 2 years (since high school). I was always pretty good in math in high school. But two years of doing literally no math is a long time. I can't remember anything. I'm afraid of doing a summer course of trig and basically just being dumbfounded.

Does anyone have any advice or resources I can use to catch up again?

>> No.5779266

>>5779259
KhanAcademy
Also you don't Have to study math most people don't use high levels of math in their daily day to day lives

>> No.5779286

Trigonometry was the first course in math I took at a CC after not paying attention in math class starting from around eighth grade.

I came out with an A, I think you'll be fine.

>> No.5779292

>>5779286
Yeah, the last math class I took was pre-cal which had some trig in it. I'm mainly worried since it is a summer course, so it's 3 hours a day, 4 days a week, for only 5 weeks. So it'll be rushed and I know I wont have too much time to catch up once the class starts.

>> No.5779359

all you need to do is put in 1 hour 7 days a week to doing practice problem. listen during the lecture whats going to be on the test and do every problems related to that

>> No.5779372

How well you do depends on how much knowledge you already have, how motivated you are--the obvious. But if you're doing three hours of a math class a day, then you owe it to yourself to study for about an hour a day.

If there's anything I know about learning math is that you have to do a lot of problems of varying difficulty.

I would suggest http://www.ck12.org/student/

I learned trig with their "flexbook". The problems aren't enough, unfortunately; but you can always buy a problem book like "humongous book of trig problems".

>> No.5779378

>>5779372
Oh nice. That's a pretty cool site, I'll definitely be book marking that. Studying for an hour a day shouldn't be that bad. I think I can manage that.

If I recall correctly from my old days of doing math in high school, I remember there was no better practice than actually doing your homework thoroughly.

>> No.5779383

>>5779372
good post except learning something new isn't based on previous knowledge generally.

you do not need to know any trig to learn trig, you don't need to know any calculus to learn calculus. my point being don't be discouraged from a course because you think you can't do well in it. practice makes perfect