[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 1.05 MB, 2464x1632, 1302240941722.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5755314 No.5755314 [Reply] [Original]

Sup, /sci/
I'm not the most scientific motherfucker in the world.
I did however take a class on climate change last year and found it extremely interesting. Unfortunately whenever it comes time to debate global warming with someone who doesn't believe in it, I don't have all the facts off the top of my head and I'm sure what I learned in that class was only the tip of the ice berg.
So first of all, does global warming real?
And second, what's a quick way to convince a stubborn person that it is?

>> No.5755319

>>5755314

We're still not up to the kind of temperatures the Earth experienced during Roman times.

We went through a mini ice age.

This doesn't mean that pollution isn't bad, but it does mean that all the libtards need to stop complaining about "muh glerbal werming" and start giving other reasons for making the planet healthier.

>> No.5755320

>>5755314

There is tons of compelling evidence for rising global warming. Simply present the statistics for the rise in annual temperatures recorded over the years.

>> No.5755325

>>5755320
I've tried that. I always get hit with 'the earth goes through cycles. it's been hotter than this before'.

>> No.5755330

>>5755325
Do they mean it's been this warm recently, or in the distant past?

There are lots of times in the distant past that I'm glad not to have lived through.

>> No.5755335

>>5755330
The distant past, referring to the Jurassic period and all that.

>> No.5755336

I'd rather be wrong and try to fix manmade global warming than be right and do nothing.

>> No.5755338

>>5755319
>>5755325

The argument of "its been hotter before" cannot stand by scientific merit. We cannot simply wait until the temperatures rise to an intolerable level for by then it will likely be too late to prevent further worsening or the culmination of drastic climate change. We do not have any means to instantly manipulate our climate as we please, our only methods of doing so are gradual and take hundreds of years to effect which by the time the rise in global temperatures have accelerated beyond our control will result in outcomes we can no longer prevent.

It has been hotter before, and as a result we have gone through the resultant climate changes before.

>> No.5755341

this is always good
http://climate.nasa.gov/evidence

>> No.5755345

>>5755330

This is the idea. We do not want to go through what the Earth has gone through in the past before.

Climate change is a natural cycle, perhaps, but we are trying to halt that because it will devastate us.

>> No.5755369

>>5755335
I've heard that same bullshit. Ask them if they're aware of the history of mass extinctions and their hypothesized causes, one of which is often climate change.