[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 289 KB, 1280x960, school classroom.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5735506 No.5735506[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

How fucked up is the education system in your country? What kind of difficulty would you expect in scientific fields by the end of high school?

This is what I went over in high school. People were expected to know it (or at the very least have notions of it) in their first year out:

Math: babby's first integrals, babby's first probabilities and density functions, exp and log, babby's first differential equations and babby's first induction reasoning. No linalg, though.

Physics: babby's first Newton's laws (what is acceleration), babby's first capacitor/induction coil, babby's first radioactivity, babby's first waves and E = mc2 (durr).

Chemistry: babby's first battery, a little bit of organic chemistry (durr what is ketone), babby's first equilibrium and kinetics

Biology: babby's first mendeleiev genetics, babby's first phylogeny, evolution, babby's first immunity defenses, why AIDS is bad, how to avoid babby (and how to brute force babby)

What were people expected to know at the end of high school in your country?

>> No.5735536 [DELETED] 

a2 + b2 = c2

>> No.5735539

We had IB programme.

I had Philosophy, Psychology and Enligh on high level. My biology was babby, didnt have physics or chem. My philosophy level was spectacular back then, so was my psychology level.

I studied laws by the way, thats why I chose those subjects.

>> No.5735550

>babby's first
>babby's first
>babby's first
>..................
You need help.

>mendeleiev genetics
Oh wait, no, you're hopeless.

>> No.5735557

>>5735550
>You need help.
what is ctrl-c ctrl-v friend

>Oh wait, no, you're hopeless.
dude what

i forgot /sci/ could be that much of an asshole, i'm more used to the smug, concealed pretentiousness of /lit/

>> No.5735568

>>5735557
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dmitri_Mendeleev
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregor_Mendel
Feel it.

>> No.5735571

>>5735568
[ ] not told
[x] told

>> No.5735583

The problem with education isn't the lack of content. It's the bullshit grading systems, benchmark testing, forcing people to sit down for 8+ hours a day, and the idea that problems have binary solutions (right, or wrong)

>> No.5735586

>>5735568
dude english is not my first language and their names are twisted in a weird way
seriously, stop being a cunt

>>5735571
and stop samefagging thanks

>> No.5735591

my middle school curriculum

>math
babby's first spectral sequences, babby's first index theorems, babby's first Hodge-Arakelov theory, babby's first Galois-theoretic Kodaira-Spencer morphism of an elliptic curve

>physics
babby's first AdS/CFT correspondence, babby's first algebraic holography, babby's first Nambu–Jona-Lasinio model

>chemistry
>biology
implying hard science

>> No.5735595

>>5735586
What does English not being your first language have to do with you being too stupid to distinguish language-independent names?

>> No.5735596
File: 182 KB, 600x534, 45227e.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5735586
Still you really need to know these guys. I'm a chemist so this just pissed me off.

>stop samefagging
But I didn't.

>> No.5735600

Studied in Canada.

In Ontario, I went to a good school. It had AP-based courses and a streamlined academic program for the smart people. Very well designed (York Memorial, Toronto).
I also went to a school in Sask. for a few years. Absolute shit tier, it's grade 12 was equivalent of Toronto's grade 10 learning.

>> No.5735602
File: 67 KB, 622x638, 482656_381628118603176_671346528_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I was in special ED. All were were expected to know was add, subtract, multiply, divide, and know that the earth revolved around the sun.

I shit you not. The faculty thought we were all retarded, and would not learn anything in our lives. When the ACT and SAT came long, I was not prepared, because I had not learned any of the material.

Thanks to physics professors Walter Lewin and Leonard Susskind posting lectures on youtube, I found out that I could understand concepts in physics and engineering; in contrary to what I've been told I can't do. So, I took my first baby coarse at a community college, did well, and brought up my GPA. Then i get excepted into a good 4 year University, where I still do relatively good compared to other students in my class.

>> No.5735610

>>5735602
>excepted
HAHAHA YOU FUCKING TARD

>> No.5735638

Where I went to school here in 'murrika, the standards were astoundingly low.

All you needed were:
A year of basic biology
A year of basic chemistry
A year of basic physics
An advanced class of the last three, or some completely useless class going over some specific "science" (aquatic science/environmental science, shit like that)
Basic algebra
Basic geometry
Either advanced algebra or "math models", which was essentially "Free useless math credit because you suck at math".
If you took advanced algebra, you can take a class that MIGHT actually teach you something (Statistics, pre-cal, trigonometry, linear algebra, etc.), but that's assuming you didn't into algebra in middle school and get into pre-cal in high school, under which circumstances you could take calculus classes. If you didn't into algebra in middle school, or even take advanced algebra early and took math models because you were a pussy, all you would have to do is then take advanced algebra.

Ignoring all the other subjects, if you did all that you could graduate.

>> No.5735651
File: 189 KB, 751x960, 1356770366586.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>2013

>> No.5735655
File: 672 KB, 1600x960, 1366329169639.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

they tried very hard to prevent educating children

>> No.5735665
File: 38 KB, 576x713, 293770_3594289896122_1052097137_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

and succeeded quite well

>> No.5735669

>>5735610
>Pointing out only one mistake in that mistake-riddled paragraph
Get off your high-horse, aspie.

>> No.5735672

>>5735596
>>5735595
yeah i'm sorry for the fuckup but the names are really similar in my native languages

>> No.5735674

>>5735638
This is basically it. I agree with everything that was said in this post.
Though I will also add that there are some really good schools that may cover differential equations, linear algebra, and multivariable calculus during high school.

>> No.5735677

>>5735672
Once again: Names are independent of your native language. They are the same in all languages, you fucking retard.

>> No.5735678

>>5735651
But evolution doesn't say anything about abiogenesis...

>> No.5735681

>>5735677
not always buddy
if you weren't monolingual you'd know it

>> No.5735689

>>5735651
lel I know a girl who went to school in Minnesota . All her classes were Christian based and taught from a "Christian point of view"...I don't know/want to know what that would entail but apparently that's a thing.
However, I guess we can't get too angry at some people who believe god created the first matter/explosion of the big bang. I mean we have no idea, as scientists where it came from exactly either. I'd atleast take that over hard core "duur earth and everything in it was created in 7 days herp derp Adam and Eve were just created like that and did not originate in womb yet somehow have belly buttons like us."

>> No.5735690

>>5735681
I speak 7 languages and you're still wrong.

>> No.5735691

>>5735690
Really? Now I'm interested. What are they?

But you're still wrong.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikita_Khrushchev
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikita_Khrouchtchev
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikita_Sergejewitsch_Chruschtschow

>> No.5735694
File: 26 KB, 540x700, 1333837791350.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.5735700

>>5735691
It's still the same name, no matter what transliteration standard is applied. Just like Mendeleev will never become Mendel. You were wrong, OP, and your failure is embarrassing.

>> No.5735703

Italy here.
Education system = suppression of critical thinking and brainwashing.
Like almost everything in our society by the way.

>> No.5735709

Except for math we pretty much learn the same subjects.
In math we don't even learn limits or derivatives.

But that's not the problem at all, since in high school little people actually get some kind of understanding while the rest just memorizes formulas. And I do not blame them.

>> No.5735710

>>5735674
Yea. Usually the magnet schools though; it depends on what neighborhood you live too. Some are shit tier and don't go past algebra II!
I went to a private school and they didn't offer any AP course out side of Calculus, Physics, Chemistry, and biology(which was new by the time I graduated). They taught regular psych, sociology, and economics. They didn't teach statistics though. =( None of these classes were required though. requirements were chem. bio, 2 years of math(you could cop out and take algebra 3 instead of preclalc or calculus), and 4 years of english and religion class(yea catholic school-_-)

>> No.5735722

>>5735700
but they're not spelled the same way you dense fuck, that's why i confused them
seriously dude are you being slow on purpose

also what languages do you speak

>> No.5735728

>>5735674

The thing is that students weren't terribly encouraged to do more than they had to. I sure know I wasn't, it was always "Do the bare minimum to get out of highschool". And students were never encouraged to really actively learn anything on their own, it was terribly depressing.

I never would have considered becoming a math major before taking algebra in college, but I got this awesome algebra teacher, he really laid out all the concepts in a way that made sense, and suddenly I found I REALLY enjoyed math whereas my highschool experience made me despise it. I decided to pick up a calculus textbook and I tore through differentiation, and I'm still working on acquiring a real understanding on integration as well as pecking at other calculus concepts on the side. I'm going to finally take pre-cal this summer, but I just feel like an idiot for not getting into math earlier.

>> No.5735729

>>5735722
>but they're not spelled the same way

That's what I'm telling you. Mendeleev is not spelled the same way as Mendel. It's getting more and more embarrassing for you.

>> No.5735736

>>5735729
the point is that they are both spelled differently in my native language and the way they are spelled in my native language are very similar which is why i fucked up when i tried transliterating it into English

dude i feel like i've repeated the same thing seven times
are you being a douche on purpose or do you just fail at reading comprehension?

>> No.5735737
File: 31 KB, 426x325, 1365206977075.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5735602
This goes to show that there really is no need for a high school system at all. If people who never really had an high stool education can recover and still understand concepts in college, I think we should scrape the entire high school program and replace it with a two year program that would prepare students for college.

High school was designed for a time where people could get by with little knowledge and skill...and work at a factory or their parents business. Times have changed; the new high school diploma is a college degree.

>> No.5735741

>>5735736
>the point is that they are both spelled differently in my native language

They are also spelled differently in the English language. And that wasn't your point, that was my point. Why don't you simply admit that you are embarrassed of your stupid mistake? Stop making up silly excuses.

>> No.5735755

>>5735741
i am embarrassed of my fuck up but god you are being a colostomy bag about it

a normal anon would have said "hey, you want to say mendel and not mendeleiev, is English your first language?"
i know this is 4chan and all but most people learn not to be cunty on purpose as they grow up

>> No.5735761

>>5735755
>a normal anon would have said "hey, you want to say mendel and not mendeleiev, is English your first language?"

No, that's not a normal response because confusing two different names has nothing to do with your language.

>> No.5735764

>>5735755
Please show me a language in which they both have the same name.

>> No.5735768

>>5735764
i said very similar, not exactly the same
of course if fucked up but the guy insulted me over and over again as i tried to explain said fuck-up

>>5735761
holy shit dude i've repeated myself enough times, i'm tired of this bullshit
read the rest of the posts because i'm not paraphrasing again for you

>> No.5735773

>>5735768
>ad hominem

Come on, dude. It's getting pathetic.

>> No.5735775

Canadafag here, the lowest form of life could get by without learning anything about functions much or learning any calc at all or trig, chem and physics were not required to graduate.

Most you could do was differential calculus, AP/IB physics + chem + bio.

>> No.5735779

>>5735651
'murica

>> No.5735786

>>5735773
i don't think ad hominem means what you think it means

>> No.5735799

>>5735583
Tfw I would receive chaff for arguing multiple stances on a topic that when writing papers.

My nickname was waffle.

Also, I live in the US, so white compulsory education.

Read the book Dumbing us Down, if you want a more thorough breakdown of why the education system here is suitable.

>> No.5735806

>>5735799
Wow auto correct. I am not even going to bother...

>> No.5735850

>>5735806
Please fix, I'm actually reading your reply to my post.

>> No.5735903

>>5735768

Tell us the names in your native language please.

>> No.5736212

OP, ignore the mendel/mendeleev trolls. Who gives a shit?

I live in western USA. I was in the IB programme up until near the end of junior year, upon which I attempted suicide. Due to mental health drama and whatnot, I did not resume high school until the following January. Then, I did something that caused me to be jailed for half a year. I resumed school again the following August. I accidentally a whole year of education.

Since I was no longer in the IB programme (obviously) and only needed a few random credits to get the best diploma possible, I lazily took "normal" classes. They were a fucking joke. The minimum knowledge required of American seniors to graduate high school is pitiful.

Now I'm at a state university with my tuition completely paid for by scholarships, just now finishing up the 2nd semester of Gen Chem I wouldn't have had to take if I hadn't been a depressive fuck up at the end of my teenage years... Maybe I should've done AP instead of IB.

/end of blog entry

>> No.5736275

I went to one of the better high school in the U.s. It was still moderately crappy, but I took the initiative to learn a lot of what I needed to know on my own. The curriculum itself was not too bad, but not too good - but something set my school apart. It was project-based, and every single project incorporated real world problem and real world solutions. By the end of my high school career, people were expected to know Calculus I, statistics, Film studies and creation, Organic Chemistry I, Physics, and how to work in groups with others. Besides one very stupid group of rowdy kids, I think the majority of the people there went on to do better things.

Also, my "s" key doesn't work. ;_;

>> No.5736500

>>5736212
What's the difference between AP and IB?

>> No.5736531

>>5736500

IB kids will often convince themselves and others that it is a much more difficult program than simply taking AP courses, but they are delusional. The only thing that makes IB more difficult (and more pointless) is the 4k word extended essay, ToK paper, and 150 hours of CAS (stands for Creativity, Action, Service, basically a stretch from "community service").

Plus, you can only get college credit for HL IB exams, not SL. There is no reason for an American who wishes to attend American university to pursue the IB diploma over simply doing AP.

>> No.5736533

>>5735506
You forgot to mention English and History

I bet you'd curl up and cry if you had to take college level LA classes

>> No.5736548 [DELETED] 

>>5735506
French, right ? I used to think our system was shitty too, but then I came to /mu/ and realized we're far from the worst. Too bad there isn't any theoretical content anymore though..

>> No.5736551

>>5735506
French, right ? I used to think our system was shitty too, but then I came to /sci/ and realized we're far from the worst. Too bad there isn't any theoretical content at high school level anymore though..

>> No.5736625

>>5736551
Les limites ont été enlevées du programme de lycée.

>> No.5736653

I live in a country where Christianity "teaching" is a mandatory class for 1st graders in public school all the way up to 7th grade. At 8th-10th grade it becomes voluntary class.

What surprises me is that after 7 fucking years of the Babble, Christian history, art, music and whatnot more than half the students opt for Christianity class instead of something sensible such as, oh I don't know, physics 2nd tier and chemistry.

It used to be worse too, because of reduced school curriculum, physics and chemistry got rolled into one class, to make room for MORE Christianity classes.

Although I hear that today the current public school is being admonished for its Christianity curriculum. I know I sound like a militant atheist, but you haven't been this bored of Christian values like I have having it for 7 straight years.