[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 55 KB, 320x480, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5726879 No.5726879[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

I would love to discuss aliens and debate things such as; do they exist, will they be friendly, how do they get here, will they be friendly? I hope to spark an interesting debate in this secure and interesting environment.

>> No.5726882

>>5726879
>Interesting debate
>Secure and interesting environment
>Secure environment
Oh god my sides!

>> No.5726884

I feel that aliens do exist and no I do not think they will be friendly, any animal that is evolved enough to come here is carnivorous and war-like.

>> No.5726892

>>>/x/

>> No.5726897

>>5726879
If aliens exist and they have the technology to reach Earth, I'm less worried if they're friend or foe, and more worried if they have the inability to think outside themselves. This sounds like a "hippie" thing to say, but an enemy or a friend can be dealt with, a creature that doesn't assume there could be intelligent life other than their own can't be reasoned with or defeated without causing 100% genocide of their race.

>> No.5726901

I absolutely do not support the genocide of an alien race and I believe they can be reasoned with but I am just worried of them being war like

>> No.5726902
File: 112 KB, 600x600, 3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

They surely exist with all these amino acids around. DNA is a structure that should crop up all the time thanks to the golden ratio. Perhaps aliens won't look very different.
Will they be friendly? Who the fuck knows? I sure hope they have the intellectual capacity to understand peace and love.

>> No.5726905

What physical structure would they have if they do exist?

>> No.5726907

they'll be self aware robots, or nothing at all.

>> No.5726909

>>5726897
I don't think genocide is a hippy thing to say.

>> No.5726912
File: 683 KB, 1860x1128, 1367288482435.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5726905
You know; two eyes, two ears, a mouth in a similar arrangement to animals here on Earth, duh.

>> No.5726914
File: 25 KB, 300x438, har.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Yes I do believe in aliens, although I guess most life wouldn't be intelligent life. Rather I'd think they'd be single celled organisms but some intelligent life would be found in the universe.

>> No.5727404

>>5726879

They do exist.

Research the records of Annunaki or Anunnaki from Sumeria and other beings from all other ancient civilizations.

There's no longer any doubt.

Also, 'the Da Vinci Conspiracy'

Every

>> No.5727424

>>5726892
Try to unplug yourself from the hive mind.

>> No.5727687

Imagine something as complex as DNA but completely different. Aliens wont make much sense and you wont be able to talk to them, or maybe English will be a piece of cake for them ad you can all go on a picnic and eat scrambled kelak%##ark, I dont know, I'm not an alien or someone who knows that they are right.

>> No.5727702

they almost certainly exist, to get here they would have to be vastly superior to us, would they be friendly? are we friendly to livestock? I don't think such an intelligence would see the need to be 'friendly' to lowly primates like us, they would either eat us or use us as labor perhaps to extract minerals for them.
I would say that such a superior intellect would be rare, there are probably thousands of planets with animal like intelligence.
I think human intelligence is a freak of nature, most animals evolve to exploit a certain environmental niche, us humans have evolved beyond that and we are destroying our own planet as a consequence

>> No.5727704

>>5726892
This.
I don't mean to be a dick, but the discussion of untestable shit like alternate universes, telekinesis, ghosts and aliens should stay in /x/ where it belongs.

>> No.5727710

Aliens do exist. The PROBLEM is not whether or not they exist, it is the fact that the duration of our existence on this universe is SO miniscule compared to the scale of time in the universe (<100 years with technology to contact aliens through signals, compared to the universe's age of 14 billion years), that whatever life in whatever colony is even remotely close to us (May be very very very far away) is either significantly, extremely more advanced than us or so far behind us that they will never have the technology to even leave earth for millions of years (See: History of life on earth prior to technology).

So with that being said. You're going to the store to get some milk and you see an ant colony off to the side of the road. Do you go up and try to talk to the ants? No. Because it poses no value to your desires. This is exactly what any civilization more advanced than us is thinking because face it, we don't know shit. We are just discovering this age of technology and any civilization with the technology to reach out and contact other planets is exponentially more advanced than us and can learn almost nothing.

>> No.5727712

>>5727704
no, you should just go, if everyone in science had your attitude we wouldn't have progressed very far at all.
>untestable
tell that to SETI
we live on a planet that is absolutely covered in life and you think that life on another planet is paranormal?

>> No.5727716

>>5727712
That guy is partially right. You cannot measure things on the level of alternate universes and telekinesis with our technology. Extraterrestrial life is a different category altogether because by the proofs of science and biology it exists, but we more or less are helpless in our approach to proving it.

aint nobody got time fo dat

>> No.5727719

>>5727710
Nigga if ants where capable of coherent dialog, I would talk to them all day,

>> No.5727725

>>5727716
we are talking about life on planets other than earth, it is not so farfetched, I don't think we are helpless in our approach to proving it, 20 years ago it was unknown as to whether other stars harbored planets, should we have just said ''there probably is but we cant prove it so lets not even worry about it'' now hundreds of exoplanets have been discovered and even planets within the so called goldilocks zone, I think we will be able to prove that aliens exist or have existed on an exoplanet in the near future

>> No.5727728

>>5727719
By the same situation what if you were born into this world but all ants were coherent and had inherently nothing of value to say? You would grow up maybe having a little interest in them as a kid, but eventually your tasks take precedence over contacting these ants because they're everywhere.

same shit

>> No.5727731

Well take a look at some of the Goldilocks planets. There's a higher chance of life being there.

>> No.5727733

>>5727728
Of course they would have interestig things to say, it's a whole other perspective.
If anything, I would ask them about the quality of the humus in my backyard.

>> No.5727734

Life on planets is not significant in any way really.

Intelligent life is extremely significant.

But we will not find them. They will find us. Period.

>> No.5727736

>>5727734
I think it is significant, even finding algae on another planet would be a huge discovery after all once life starts and evolution takes it's course it will surely lead to intelligence

>> No.5727737

>>5727736
>surely
Dinosaurs weren't on their way to space rockits afaik.

>> No.5727740

>>5727737
I suppose it depends on your definition of intelligence, if you are talking about space travel, human evolved from a warm blooded rat like creature, all life on earth shares a common ancestor

>> No.5727744

>>5727740
something like algae is extremely insignificant as it 1) may not develop into intelligent life 2) TAKE AN UPWARDS OF 3 BILLION FUCKING YEARS TO BECOME A CAVEMAN

>> No.5727747

>>5727740
Im not sure you understand the point here.
Dinosaurs weren't on thrir way to intelligence, they were on their way to more teeths and claws, because that's what worked in their survival market.

Evolution doesn't lead infaillibly to intelligence.

>> No.5727749

>>5727744
of course, even if we had extremely powerful telescopes that could see a bustling city on an exoplanet, the species could actually already be extinct, likewise if we observed animals on an exoplanet they could have evolved into something 'intelligent', or that planet may have been destroyed we wont know

>> No.5727752

>>5727747
I do understand that, dinosaurs were one path that evolution took, humans were another path, the point is humans, dinosaurs and everything else including plants started on the evolutionary journey in the same place

>> No.5727754

>>5726879

It's almost certain that aliens exist, from semi-living types like virii, up to intelligent forms like ourselves. The visible universe is just too big and stocked with useful suns with the longevity of stability and habitable zones. After all, one of those million trillions of suns produced US.

But reaching another one of those intelligent aliens is economically impossible. That explains the Silent Sky. The sky is silent of any intelligent indications whatsoever since it's economically impossible to reach out between stars for competitive lifeforms.

>> No.5727758

>>5727752
It's just in the grand scheme of things any life that isn't developed yet on a planet 500 light years away from us is more or less useless for the next thousand years or so of technological advancement. We'd be focused on harvesting resources in the universe and advancing ourselves as a species

>> No.5727761

>>5727747
> Evolution doesn't lead infaillibly to intelligence.

Yes, and even worse for us, intelligence isn't even that survivable or useful. It leads to technology, which leads to Resource Wars, which lead to the Last War. Humans are merely in start of the Resource Wars phase, as the Middle East warfare zone will expand.

There's another reason why intelligence isn't that useful. It leads to dependency on tools in order to inhabit econological niches, and that dependency automatically means a failure to adapt to the environment. What does evolution correct, brutally? Yes: Inability to adapt. Intelligence is a liability for long-term species survival on a planetary surface.

>> No.5727763

>>5727761
I don't think humanity is capable of being completely extinguished at this point (Due to nukes or wars). Someone somewhere is gonna have a plan to survive through it and after time it'll more or less balance itself back out again.

>> No.5727771

>>5727719
>implying that there is something interesting to talk about with a human being

We find ourselves so boring that we talk about nothing but television.

>> No.5727773

>>5727761
Unless an overarching sense of morality as it relates to a potential collective evolutionary imperative breeds the understanding and motivation towards conservation and careful usage of resources. If such a species had an eye for efficiency they would after a time venture out into the universe. What the fuck else would they be doing?

>> No.5727782

Well taking into account the size of the universe and the already apparently of intelligent life emerging in the Milky Way (us, if you're retarded) ...it's inevitable that with the age of the universe, that another reasonably intelligent species is out there. Numerous articles of them for that matter. Also with the discovery of many "capable of holding life planets" with so few years of practicing the advancement of our space related technology, it should be a sure-thing to find something sooner or later.

>> No.5727786

>discussing things that doesn't exist
Not science
>>>/x/

>> No.5727818

>>5727786
>Claiming something that we have no information about doesn't exist
>>>/rel/

>> No.5727854

>>5727763

Sure, but the "balance" means the late 1700s or early 1800s... a world without petroleum, natural gas or coal. And that will just persist until a Chicxulub or Toba makes us extinct.

>> No.5727860

>>5727773

So why is the sky not only silent of intelligent signals, but devoid of any intelligent structure? Energy exploitation reality just demands that a species that colonizes its solar system, make a Dyson Structure. These would be VISIBLE. Where are they?

>> No.5727868

>>5727860
Maybe we're one of the first, if not the first 'highly' intelligent species in the universe.
That'd be a shame given our nature to want to explore and reach out, but it's a saddening possibility.

>> No.5727890
File: 147 KB, 613x477, 1303809782310l.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

there are no aliens
ther are no life on other planets
we've been told this for decades... hurr durr.. finding life on venus.. mars... moons of jupiter and saturn... hurr durr
and on mars, sure we will find it, just a matter of time.... herpy durr

forget it!

we are alone. ther will be no findings on mars or any other planet and there never ever will be contact to aliens.
face it and live your life!

>> No.5727906

>>5727890

>muh special snowflake one of it's kind

>> No.5727910

>>5727868

That's so unlikely that it's really not a serious proposal. The universe is 13.7 billion years old. The Milky Way has existed in a form similar to today for 8 billion. Sol is 5 billion years old. There have been so many origination events out there for solar systems and planetary formation, that it should have happened 100s of billions of times in our galaxy alone over the last 8 billion years. And we're just one of 100 billion galaxies. That's over 10^22 origination events in the universe... so far. So you're seriously claiming that in nearly a trillion trillion planetary formation events in habitable zones of stars, we're somehow the first? It doesn't seem to require a trillion trillion trials to get life to start on a world like ours.

>> No.5727920

>>5727890

You're not going to find life on Venus. If it was there, it roasted into dissolution in the last 100s of millions of years. Mars is a possibility for educated reasons, but it's apt to be dried up or fossilized.

The moons of the jovians are too cold.

>> No.5728026

>>5727860
We haven't even seen a portion of our galaxy. Even the, everything we see in the sky is ancient. you know how long that light takes to get here? Are you being serious?

>> No.5728061

We have contacted aliens, they are humanoid, and the government finds it in their best interest to not tell us of a planet without war, hunger or conspiracy, because it would make them look like a bunch of bastards.
Move this to /x/.

>> No.5728166

>>5728026

Totally serious. Our sky surveys are samples, random samples, and in none of these samples have Dyson Structures ever, ever been located. Again, where are they?

In the last 5 billion years, one species could have colonized the galaxy 50 times over, assuming it only took them 100 million years to spread across the disc. So again, where the fuck are they?

>> No.5728173

>>5728026
> Even the, everything we see in the sky is ancient. you know how long that light takes to get here?

Herp + Derp = your post

The galaxy is 100KLY wide. A reasonable survey of our stately galactic neighborhood would be several 100 LY. We've rather intensely surveyed our neighborhood out to several 1000 LY. That's only looking a few millennia into the past, retard. So what's happened around these stars for the last few BILLION years? Civilizationally, we see what we need to see of them NOW. Dyson Spheres should persist for millions of years.

Where'd you get your education, Somalia University?

>> No.5728181

>>5728173
>implying we have the tech to detect sentient life on other planets.
Yeah, I'm sure a dude on a planet orbiting Sirius could totally make out our civilizations on our planet. Even if life is somewhere, it is highly unlikely that we will know until we are much closer to that planet. Unless you have high res photos of such a planet showing (an absence of) life. And implying we only need to look in our galaxy? How big's the universe? Everything we see in the sky isn't within our galaxy, is it? I think that does, indeed, make a lot of the things we see ancient, as the guy said.

>> No.5728186

>>5726897
Painfully good point.

>> No.5728188

>>5728181
And why are we discussing Dyson Spheres on /sci/ and not /x/?

>> No.5728189

>>5728186
>implying all sentient creatures must think like humans
Don't be so biased and ethnocentric.

>> No.5728192

>>5726912
"similar arrangement to animals here on Earth, duh."
Like an octopus?

>> No.5728198

someday we will be the aliens we fear so much.

>> No.5728202

>>5727854
even if the survivors were all 3rd world children they would find machines laying around, clues that would quickly teach them to retrace our steps. Most likely one copy of "the way things work" would survive and survivors could move from 1700 tech to 2000 tech a lot faster than we did the first time.

>> No.5728206

maybe on another galaxy, there are aliens that look like us, think like us and have imageboards trying to discuss science and math, who knows maybe aliens are just humans stranded on another part of the universe but like us, have not invented space travel yet.

>> No.5728207

Of course extraterrestrial life exists, its irresponsible to say it doesn't. Whether or not its complex or even multicellular is debateable, but I imagine that somewhere out in the cosmos there has to be atleast a handful of civilizations as advanced or more than us, I mean you really have to think about the sheer scale of what we're talking about here, just step back and think about it. We orbit an unremarkable middle aged star on an unremarkable planet in an unremarkable area of a decently sized spiral galaxy, sharing a local group with an even larger galaxy than our own, not to even mention the rest of the universe.

>> No.5728451

Aliens are much too alien to be recognized by Hollywood-conditioned minds.

>> No.5728502

>>5727786
>life in the universe
>not science
>>>/out/

>> No.5728507

>>5727860
>implying

>> No.5728512

>>5727890
>being this close minded
>any year
shaggy didgeridoo

>> No.5728551

>>5727890
The 5 elements needed to make life are the 5 most common in the universe. Hydrogen, Helium, Carbon, Nitrogen, and oxygen. There's plenty of ingredients to make more life. To say that there is no life anywhere else in the universe is simply ignorant. Probability is not on your side.

>> No.5728574

>>5728551
I agree but isn't Helium inert

>> No.5728581

>>5727702
i find strange the idea of them makign us slaves

can't they build like...10000times more efficient robots to do these things ?

>> No.5728584

>>5728181

Herp^Derp. Too much herp, dude. The fact remains that such a civilization like ours either has to expand, or crash. Expansion will eventually (in astronomical terms, an eyeblink) produce a Dyson Structure that will be visible for 1000s of LY.

I don't care about a pissant little civilization on a rocky world 2340 LY away. Being pissants, they'll never leave their homeworld. And being pissants ourselves, we'll do the same. And that's EXACTLY what we see when we look out for 1000s of LYs: Nobody's becoming a true extraplanetary civilization.

It is what it is. The proof's staring us right in our Violent Simian faces. Lifeforms become too competitive with technology. They fight for intraplanetary resources and the victors merely get to live out pastoral lives until an asteroid, supervolcano or supernova makes them extinct.

>> No.5728587

>>5728574

You're overlooking that Helium is a nuclear fuel like Hydrogen. The universe starting fusion processing on a mix of 3/4 H and 1/4 He.

>> No.5728605

>>5728166
So what if there's nothing in our galaxy? What about the billions of other galaxies?

And I think you guys are underestimating the probability of how different aliens will be from us. If you look at the diversity of life on planet earth alone, there's SO MUCH WEIRD SHIT. If we can't communicate with ants or fish (our planetary kin), how could we communicate with aliens?

We only know one way of life, and that's our own. I'm sure aliens are something unimaginable. Maybe our idea of a collective species constantly reproducing is unique to us, and an alien species will be one encompassing "thing" of some kind of energy. Maybe the concept of an individual is unique, and an alien species exist as a hyper intelligent hive mind of trillions of atom sized nanomachines. Maybe life exists within life, much like how bacteria live within our guts, perhaps our planets and suns and galaxies are mere constituents of a larger organism?

The requirements for "intelligence" is mind bending because we don't really understand it ourselves. What if an "intelligence" was conducting thought with supernovae across galaxies, and is painstakingly "slow" compared to our thoughts? What if atoms within the sun were computing with high energies unbelievably "fast" compared to us, with millions of "civilizations" dying every few seconds? If these two things are just "random," what makes it more random than the thoughts we have as humans?

>> No.5728611

>>5728584
>we don't have a dyson sphere yet
>other species don't have one yet that we can see
>we can see the entirety of the universe
>aliens must be 'civilization like ours...'
>means there's no aliens?

Yep, herp to the derp alright.

>> No.5728616
File: 34 KB, 600x450, mars-rover-landing-sequence-lowering-sky-crane_57832_600x450.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5728198
we already are, m8

>> No.5728617

>>5728551
Just because all life on earth evolved from one set of atomic compounds (we don't have alien life here, do we? what makes you say those 5 elements are necessary?) doesn't mean it is the only possible combination that can work. Those five worked best here. Who is to say another set of chemicals just didn't work as well and lost early on to what's dominant now?

>> No.5728622

>>5728616
Not necessarily. We aren't aliens if we are literally the only populated planet in the universe (as unlikely as that may be), because then this would be our home universe, not just our planet. And until we actually find evidence of life on mars, we can't rule out that we aren't even alien to mars, if we happen to be the first thing to grow and evolve on it... We would only be alien, I think, if something else was there first.

>> No.5728621

>>5728584
>Dyson Structure
fuck off with your shitty sci-fi.

>> No.5728625

>>5728622
everything is alien to us outside the earth. what I actually meant was the pretty cool rover landing. that's pretty alien tier if you ask me.

>> No.5728628

>>5728622
>we can't rule out that we aren't even alien to mars
this sounds like a great premise for an M. Night Shyamalan movie

>> No.5728638

>>5726879
Go back to >>>/x/

>> No.5728640

>>5728628
>>5728625
No, I mean, otherwise, if the primitive structures that started life here happened to exist on some other planet and then came here, when there was nothing else here, are we alien? Or would we have had to bomb our RNA on some existing other 'life forms' to be alien?

>> No.5728647

>>5728587
I was just thinking about helium being used in our body

>> No.5728648

>>5728640
I'm saying, I don't think we're alien just because Mars isn't where we started our evolution; we would be alien if something else lived there prior.

I mean, humans are on the same evolutionary tract as every other creature here on earth, right? We aren't exactly alien to Dinosaurs, are we?

>> No.5728650

>>5728638
you go there faggot

>> No.5728654

>>5728648
But we would be aliens to earth the same as we'd be aliens to mars, because going to mars is just as natural as RNA fusing in the first place, isn't it? We aren't aliens here just because the planet was here before we were, are we? Why should we then be aliens to a planet that's always been barren?

>> No.5728657

>>5728648
you are correct, I hope they find evidence of life on mars

>> No.5728678

One must consider how incredibly rare it is for electricity to even be invented by even a very very intelligent race.

Also one should consider that once the species have dominated the planet and there is no more war or poverty, how often would they just say, "well fuck it we win", theres no reason to explore space, and just heaven on earth.

>> No.5728691

>>5728678
u wot m8

>> No.5728693

None of you can say anything for certain about this except that odds are there is at least one other intelligent (Whatever that means) species in our galaxy.
Anything deeper than that is bullshit so unless you start talking about the technology needed to become an interstellar civilisation this thread belongs in >>>/x/

>> No.5728696

>>5728693
No, your Dyson Sphere shit belongs in /x/

Not that plebs can tell, though. Plebs always use the wrong board.

>> No.5728699

>>5728691
people always say that to me...

>> No.5728700

>>5727710
But if one were to take the tme to pull over to the left and observe the ants one would learn much about how the ants functioned and co-existed with the surrounding environment

Passing aliens are probably not on their way to obtain milk. A planet in it's prime and rich in biodiversity would be a scientific gold mine to any intelligent species

>> No.5728698

>>5728696
so do you because plebs belong on /tv/. #rekt

>> No.5728711

>>5728693
fuck off queer, if you cant see how this is science related then you definitely do belong here, with all the other pseudo intellectuals

>> No.5728732

>>5727704
All of that is in fact testable, just because you don't know how, or the technology is not available is irrelevant. Get off your high horse.

>> No.5728746

>>5728698
If I wanted my own comeback I'd ask your mom.

Stick on topic or go to another thread.

>>5728732
Actually, if we can't test something, that's kinda the definition of not testable. Although, we have actually tested most of the crap he posted (which should be on /x/ no less) and found nothing. We can find a higgs-boson, but not a shred of evidence for ghosts or telekinesis or god, but people like him just wanna watch the world burn.

>>5728700
Ants aren't alien. That's a terrible analogy. We know ants exist. And no, to a species with intelligence beyond ours, we'd be about as exciting as watching an anthill perhaps, but I reckon they'd have found a lot of other intelligent planets before they found ours. It isn't as though we tend to go out of our way to find ants.

>> No.5728748

>>5728746
>If I wanted my own comeback I'd ask your mom.
welcome to the filter tripcancer.

>> No.5728751

>>5728700
I mean, oh my goodness, there might be ants in some part of America we haven't checked yet, better go look for ants in a coalmine! So exciting...

>> No.5728753

janitor ban requested me, I post on topic, bye /sci/

>> No.5728755

>>5728748
Yeah, I'm so intimidated by your anonymousness.

Again, are you just gonna complain about tripcodes like last year's summer (I mean, that's about when it started, anyway) or are you gonna discuss the topic?

although, I present to you, /sci/, evidence that maybe mankind isn't so intelligent...

>> No.5728875

>>5727910
That's stupid. Consider the chances of something exactly like this happening anywhere else in the universe, that's us. Also doesn't somebody have to be the first why not us?

>> No.5728888

No doubt they would be warlike. Everyone always assumes aliens would be some sort of homogenous trans economic species, but I doubt it. If we ever ran into aliens, I'd wager they'd likely be from somewhere shockingly close, probably due to sentient life clustering together, and they would get to us through conventional space travel. Any species that is beyond conventional travel (traveling lightyears away just to see us) would seem like gods to us and would be even more dangerous.

>> No.5728893

Guys I think we are forgetting the most important factor of this whole thing.

Alien Bitches.

>> No.5728975

>>5728893
Yeah, unless the aliens are like giant bacteria and reproduce by splitting.

Or maybe they die when they reproduce, and the baby is born of one parent.

Or maybe some dickhead just sprinkled RNA on a buttload of planets (and was the only one of his type and didn't age for some reason) and just set back and is waiting for us to find him because we are his evolution seeds.

Or maybe they have 30 genders and don't consider anything that doesn't have complex genders to be intelligent or sapient.

Or maybe the alien races already know we're here and are avoiding us because we're like planet cancer and our solar system is a leper colony for abandoned planets.

Or whatever. I'm not in /lit/, I don't have to make shit up. TL:DR - Probably no alien bitches.

>> No.5729007

>>5728755
>I present to you, /sci/, evidence that maybe mankind isn't so intelligent...

Presenting 90% of all conversations you will ever have.

I think the most convincing evidence of alien intelligence is in the fact that they have NOT bothered to contact us. Or at least, not in any way we recognize.

>> No.5729037

>surely exist
>do exist
>almost certainly
>do exist
>we live on a planet <...> on another planet
>probably
>almost certain <...> one of those million trillions
>inevitable
>billions of times <...> billion <...> trillion trillion <...> trillion trillion
>of course
>probability
>billions
>odds
>chances
Please, don't use these words in that context on the science&math board. With sample size of 1 it is impossible to say whether life exist somewhere else or not. We only now that this is possible, we can't estimate probability.

>> No.5729039

>>5729007
>most convincing evidence is that they haven't tried to contact us
Well, that's a large load of bollocks. I mean, insert 'god' or 'unicorns' or 'sasquatch' or 'myriad species we haven't even discovered in our own bellybuttons' and hey, suddenly everything exists!

>> No.5729045

>>5729037
>odds
>chances
>numbers
>probability
Yes, horrible topics to discuss on a math board...

>> No.5729052

>>5728975
Giant bacteria sounds like a slime bitch, fuckable

Doesn't mean they can have sex, Fuckable

If we are of him and we can fuck, Fuckable

30 genders, we have sex with everything, Fuckable

They are avoiding us, if we ever catch them doesn't mean we can't have sex, Fuckable

tl;dr, you're an idiot, I don't see your point here

>> No.5729082

>>5729052
What if they are rigid perfect spheres that feed on electromagnetic waves and interact with outside world by manipulating magnetic force?

>> No.5729108

>>5729082
Are you even trying, if they manipulate that sort of crap, think about it man, if I'm right you can just make a soft metal exo-suit and they can interact with that via magnetism. Or if I remember seeing something the other day, there are machines that can reproduce feeling. This is reaching but if they are like that can't they like do things to the electricity in your brain.

>> No.5729156

Given that we know of one world where intelligent life has arisen and the apparent lack of intelligent life in this part of the galaxy despite billions of years for it to have arisen and spread, the most likely (albeit tentatively so) explanation for the silence above us is that it is very difficult to create an industrial foothold in space. Most species might end up metaphorically breaking their own legs with a nuclear war or using up most non-renewable resources before establishing that foothold.

>> No.5729387

>>5729156
>the most likely (albeit tentatively so) explanation
Or we are alone in the universe. Neither of explanations have any relevant statistic basis underneath. Or fucking god killed them because they were ugly.