[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 73 KB, 524x468, 1365623145944.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5717334 No.5717334 [Reply] [Original]

I'm doing fairly well in chemistry, but there is one subject that I can never wrap my head around and fully understand.

It's under Electrochemistry and the subject of electrochemical series.

The standard " Will this reaction happen"

Example: Explain why we get a reaction when we put a Fe2+-nail in a solution of Cu(NO3), but we don't get a reaction if we put a copper-nail in a solution of FeSO4.

The book always talks about one being in reduced form and the other in a oxidized form, but shit doesn't make sense.

A drawing explaining this would be of tremendous help.

>> No.5717369
File: 65 KB, 285x276, 1357308483460.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

t-thanks ;_;

>> No.5717398

I am sorry but this is pretty basic chemistry. As much as i hate people dismissing questions because they are "too easy", they are a 1000 explanations on this, that are way easier to understand than anything somebody on here could write. Why don't i answer your question if i have the time to write this? I am not an native english speaker and don't know any of the terms in english so, good luck.

>> No.5717408

>>5717398
>I am sorry but this is pretty basic chemistry

I know this is basic chemistry, but something about it just doesn't make sense in my head. I've tried reading up, but they all say pretty much the same thing, while not making things clearer.

>> No.5717416

>>5717398
fuck it, i'll try:
Copper as a lower "electronegativity", or what the fuck it's called in english, than iron. So if you put fe2+ together with Cu, the Fe2+ will be reduced to Fe and the Cu will be oxidized to Cu2+.
This won't happen vise versa, because as i said iron has a higher electronegativity, which means, that it is more likely to be in an reduced state. I hope that helped