[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 1.55 MB, 1361x671, lookout_mountain_nuke.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5690629 No.5690629 [Reply] [Original]

So /sci/, I need to know something....

Say there's a nuclear explosion in or around my city, and I'm not in the insta-death range or in the range of any significant thermal radiation...

What the fuck is the safest thing to do to follow up? I know that fallout is likely to come down on my house because the range of "you're going to get black rain" is much farther than the initial explosion. I know that sticking around is likely to be a bad idea, but I highly doubt it would be safe to be outside, and I'm wondering if outside the explosion radius, electronics and cars would have trouble working.

Or in other words, what would be the best way to not get radiation poisoning if you survive and don't have a fallout shelter.

>> No.5690651

I guess hiding someplace underground should do the trick.

>> No.5690658

>>5690629
http://www.allhandsfire.com/FULLY-ENCAPSULATED-LEVEL-A-DELUXE-SUIT_2?gclid=CODBmt-E0bYCFQc3nAod_mYA6g

will make sure you don't grow a third head (worth the $$) everyone else going to die off can just pick up their cash... plus if anything happens and you live the US will take care of you with tax payer money no worries

>> No.5690660

>>5690651

How far underground, and for how long?

>> No.5690663

>>5690658
or just buy a shit ton of lead coats used a doctors offices and make yourself a suit, better start working out

>> No.5690668

>>5690658

So much money for such a small chance of my town getting nuked. Only thing worth hitting here is a relay tower that communicates to the nuclear subs in the Pacific...

>> No.5690670

>>5690629
Find the place in your house best shielded from radiation (innermost usually, finished basement with a center windowless room being the most ideal case.) Cram about 2 weeks worth of food and bottled water (or have a way to filter it) in there along with a crank radio and some other shit. Seal up the room as best you can and wait.

After a day or two you might be able to go outside for a minute or so. Enough to get a reading if you have a geiger counter. After two weeks or so you should be significantly safer (due to decay and the scattering of nuclear fallout via wind and rain acting to reduce its concentration) and can probably spend a few hours outside if need be.

I would say try to outrun it if for instance you lived in the west, knew the winds were primarily blowing east, and you had North and South escape routes available but given the freeways will be clogged with retards trying to get away from the blast and given they may have sustained some damage themselves it's generally a pretty bad idea.

>> No.5690675

>>5690660
this OP?

You really worried?

Okay previously I was kind of being funny... however series matter. Depending on how well the subways or whatever underground have been constructed it would be safe to avoid the initial nuclear blast wave...only if on the outskirts of the blast "rain"

You got to think a nuke isn't hitting the top but will vibrate everything surrounding it pretty much lifting the ground up with the blast and bringing it back down within a thousandth of a second. If worried about the radition... it will be thick months before you'd want to go back to the surface (but if subway system can hopefully go opposite direction). After a month you can probably have exposure for a little bit of time and then get treated later for any poisoning... but only enough time to collect remaining things etc or go for help

Why aren't you willing to leave then return if house isn't blown (hypothetically)? As well get valuables and ship or store else where?

>> No.5690679

>>5690668
Only 800... can always have or sell back to a science lab for half price?

Wouldn't waste a nuclear bomb on just a relay tower (but might go for sheer numbers)... but very doubtful...

Chances are no nuclear fallout will occur at least koreas will be brought down and then south korea will be given a few options lol

(US military science is far superior to anyone across the globe)

>> No.5690682

>>5690670

Hrm... my house doesn't have a basement per se, but I do have the supplies to survive. Will any air coming into the building be considered toxic? Am I going to have to run tape under the doors?

Also, hypothetically speaking, how fucked would the town be if we had an oil pipeline within the explosion range?

>> No.5690686

Fill as many buckets of water as you can before water is radioactive

Get far away, in the right direction. If you live in a rainy area, get away from normal rain patterns. Radioactive rain is extremely dangerous.

If at all possible, get underground, and ration provisions of, preferably, canned foods. Once you run out, try to start a garden.

That's all i got

>> No.5690687

will post tomorrow my laptop just arrived from 2 1/2 hr trip... have a project due in hours I gotta run

I will come up with a good plan or recommendations... just post your questions (there is another anon here anyhow)

>> No.5690688

>>5690679

I realize the US could probably shoot down a nuke, and the probability of this is so low it's not even worth thinking about...

But still, it's something to think about. I remember when I was younger having my Uncle (who works in the military) tell my mother that we lived in a first strike zone during any nuclear war BECAUSE of that relay tower.

>> No.5690691
File: 725 KB, 1595x747, sdgasdg.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I just took a look at that nuke map thing

holy fuck

holy fucking fuck

That is unreal

Is that fucking real? A goddamn nuke explosion that can be seen from space?

shit

>> No.5690696

>>5690691

100 Mt was never employed. I can imagine the 57 Mt version that WAS detonated was probably visible from space though.

>> No.5690701

There is an old british rotoscoped movie that deals with a couple trying to survive in their house after a nuclear blast. It's pretty interesting.

>> No.5690703
File: 92 KB, 800x531, GasFlare_jpg_800x1000_q100.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5690682
>Will any air coming into the building be considered toxic?

Yes. It will likely have dust with radioactive isotopes in it. Either fission products or bits of unfissioned U/Pu from the second stage of the bomb blown apart by the blast. The greatest danger is the fission products which will likely be gamma emitters giving you the highest does of radiation. Fortunately these are relatively short lived. Alpha and beta emitters like Uranium and plutonium present a long term risk as these particles can settle in food and water supplies thus contaminating them. While alpha and beta particles are weakly penetrating and tend not to do much damage outside the skin if the alpha/beta source is ingested they are deadly. Eat only canned food and bottled water after the nuclear incident. As soon as the many of the fission products have decayed and the level of gamma radiation is significantly lower flee. Get away from any contaminated area and don't eat any food grown in a contaminated area.

>Also, hypothetically speaking, how fucked would the town be if we had an oil pipeline within the explosion range?

Not that fucked. The whole pipeline isn't going to burst into flames. It'll likely burn off oil slowly from the ruptured end of the pipe for a few hours after the explosion. Nothing dramatic. Probably similar to pic related though with more fire. That's assuming the pipeline doesn't have fancy computers to cut off the flow if the pipeline is ruptured.

>> No.5690709
File: 17 KB, 214x317, wind.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5690701
found the title

>> No.5690718

>>5690709
Its on youtube, great movie. Funny though, I stumbled across over this weekend, I'm surprised people are talking about it

>> No.5690716

>>5690709
You can also find The War Game on youtube, which is a short <1hour documentary about what would happen during a nuclear war. It is definitely worth watching.

>> No.5690752
File: 20 KB, 364x344, 1281021675425.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How far away does one need to be from a nuclear explosion to be able to watch it and not go blind or burned?
I keep thinking of those "tourist detonations" murrica made back in the day.

>> No.5690757

>>5690691
Yeah but they only made 1 of those and it's already been used

>> No.5690763

>>5690752
Depends on the yield, of course. You should wear UV-shielded sunglasses, wear sun cream, and have the explosion take place downwind from your location.