[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 51 KB, 624x434, 843008_10aa_625x1000 (1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5671627 No.5671627 [Reply] [Original]

I come to you, /sci/ in desperation. I have been thinking of this mind problem for a few hours now and can't make heads or tails of it.

Consider a situation in which there are infinite planets, each existing fruitfully for an infinite amount of time. Every planet has some chance of evolving pigs. Is there a chance that any of these infinite planets WILL NOT ever evolve pigs?

If you say yes, consider the fact that there are infinite planets, so logically an infinite number of them must not evolve pigs.

If you say no, consider that there is infinite time to evolve pigs, so every single planet logically should evolve pigs at some point.

>> No.5671643

help friendships and marriages are being broken between arguing parties

>> No.5671653

No.

I don't see why you struggle as you answered your own question.

>> No.5671665

No. Pigs can evolve to that form, but it isn't a certainty.

>> No.5671688

giordano bruno was burned at the stake for bringing this shit up

>> No.5671710

>>5671627

your hypothetical situation can't exist

a planet without bacon can't last infinitely

>> No.5671720

>Consider a situation in which there are infinite planets, each existing fruitfully for an infinite amount of time.
Nonsense so far
>Every planet has some chance of evolving pigs.
I don't understand why we are inserting arbitrary rules with no basis, but OK.
>Is there a chance that any of these infinite planets WILL NOT ever evolve pigs?
You are the one making up the arbitrary rules to justify your little nonsense fantasy, so you decide.

>> No.5671724

>>5671627
probably

>> No.5671745

wat if planet evolve into pig

>> No.5671770

>>5671627
Can there be both an infinite number with and without?

>> No.5671772

It's shit logic. You can very well make a limit function to the chance of success of evolving pigs.

Just because lil' jimmy has a ball doesn't mean you have one on the mere account that there is another jimmy that you can see. Because you see Jimmy, it's obvious that you're Jimmy too....

The "infinite planet" drogue isn't of any use whatsoever in the computational value as there are already dictated as having different domains (or worlds) that counter the basis of chance computation of multiples. Adding the chance value (ie. roll the dice more times and multiply them together to get a phantasmal number of OMG!-ness it's so huge!) isn't possible in this scenario without first destroying the very domains that you created in order to bring the dawn of a new era of obese aliens.