[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 161 KB, 1920x1200, science_bg01.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5664675 No.5664675 [Reply] [Original]

First post here on sci, so apologies if I break any unsaid rules. But I have a question and cannot answer it myself so was wondering if you could:

If the ionisation of atoms is caused by the loss or gain of electrons due to an outside charge attracting/repelling them then why is it that statically charged atoms (that have lost/gained electrons) do not break down and release ionising radiation?

Is it because certain nuclei are more stable, so when they lose one electron they are statically charged but not unstable enough to break down?

>> No.5664677

bump

>> No.5664683

>>5664675
>"Is it because certain nuclei are more stable, so when they lose one electron they are statically charged but not unstable enough to break down?" - Pretty much, when most things loose 1 electron they can quickly oxidize with something in order to replenish that lost electron before any sort od decay is necessary, however in some heavier more unstable atoms the forces acting upon electrons and nuclei are larger and so decay usually occurs before any oxidation.

>> No.5664692

AFAIK ionization has no meaningful bearing on the stability of the nucleus. Atoms exchange electrons without being themselves affected. Generally for common elements, whatever you do to an element it's going to stay that element.