[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 14 KB, 320x250, nkorea.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5653849 No.5653849 [Reply] [Original]

Suppose North Korea decides to push the little red button and fire off some nukes at South Korea and parts of the US/ its territories. Iran follows suit and fires a few that they had hidden info about at Israel; North Korea gets retaliatory fire from [pick a fucking country].

Would this be enough/ what conditions are necessary to bring about "nuclear winter"? Forgive me if its a simple question, but it's been a while since I've had a chem course and I've never taken anything on meteorology.

tl;dr Nuclear winters; how does they work?

>> No.5653857
File: 32 KB, 387x505, Dogimplies.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

bump

>> No.5653861

It depends, if the nukes go off somewhere where it's night then it will actually push the earth closer to the sun and create a nuclear summer.

>> No.5653864

In short, a nuclear winter results from a large scale exchange that causes global cooling and crop death from dust kicked up into the atmosphere (theoretically, you could do the same with an ungodly amount of conventional explosive).

However, most modern nukes are smaller warheads on MIRVs (instead of hitting a city with one giant warhead you hit it with several smaller ones) so less dust is kicked up per square km destroyed. Furthermore, the Korean peninsular is rather small (tee hee) and, even if you went to town on it with some oldschool laydown warheads (the bomb drops on a parachute and explodes when it's sitting on the ground, damaging bunkers more effectively) you're probably not going to get enough dust to piss off anyone besides South Korea, Japan, Mongolia, Russia (although no one with much political clout lives in that part of Russia, it depends if they'd see it as a personal attack) and China.

Iran getting involved is unlikely in an already unlikely scenario.

>> No.5653874

>>5653864
cool.

The countries were just for some relation to the current political climate and predominantly because I had an image of Glorious Leader of Best Korea holding an inflatable bomb.