[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 38 KB, 631x300, evolution.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5651976 No.5651976 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /sci/. Just a few minutes ago I was having a debate with me about evolution. He said he doesn't believe it. lolwat? I ask him what, then, brought about the rise of the human race and he says that he doesn't know. Ok....He then asks me how ants (who have been longer on Earth than humans) did not "evolve". I said that they DID and they fit into the environment. I asked him about Galapagos finches, our genes to grow tails like the chimpanzees being deactivated, and artificial selection....he remained unmoved. I have not done much of evolution and I just know the basic facts such as natural selection, geographic isolation, and the fact that evolution leads to species to adapt to their environment. Now if some of you geniuses could tell me, what was the "motive" behind our rapid evolution i.e. why are we so ahead in a short time? Also, is 'Lucy' fake? How does evolution really work (just need to confirm my facts) and how did the human species come into being?

TL;DR: what was the "motive" behind our rapid evolution i.e. why are we so ahead in a short time? Also, is 'Lucy' fake? How does evolution really work (just need to confirm my facts) and how did the human species come into being?

>> No.5651989

>>5651976
>I was having a debate with me
Did you win?

Why do you assume that we are far ahead? Every species that is alive today is as highly evolved as the next.

>> No.5651990

>>5651976
>rapid evolution
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punctuated_equilibrium

>> No.5651998

I can see your heart(or mind since we're on /sci/) is in the right place, but you're not extremely close to the information on evolution, which is perfectly fine, you know its true but its hard to explain. If you really want to get better at explaining why evolution is true, read Dawkins book "The Greatest Show on Earth", which will certainly help you grasp a better understanding of the matter.

>> No.5652001

>>5651989
Sorry anon. I was having a debate with *my dad*

>> No.5651999

>>5651976
Our recent explosion in social development is not due to biological evolution.

>> No.5652004

>>5651990
Thank you anon. I did learn about punctuated equilibrium, but I think I will investigate more on this.

>> No.5652007

>>5651998
THANK YOU, SO MUCH. I wanted to start off with a book that would've helped me and so that's a great start, I suppose. Thanks for the suggestion.

>> No.5653100
File: 73 KB, 400x349, aliens.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Genetic engineering.

>> No.5653157

>>5652001
>implying you aren´t just a younger version of your dad

>> No.5653236

Ants. Not evolved.

Very, very sad.

E.O.Wilson is crying.

>> No.5654290

>>5651976
I'm bored of explaining evolution to people who don't understand it. Do your own research for that.
>Motive behind our rapid evolution
You've implied here that there has to be a motive, implying conciousness. Genetic variation is random mutation. The surviving variants are due to natural selection.

>Why are we so ahead in a short time?
You've implied a link here between biological evolution and technological evolution

>Is 'Lucy' fake?
The skeleton 'lucy' of the Australopithecus genus was not a fake fossil.

>How does evolution really work?
Genetic mutation, natural selection, lots of time.
But it's more complicated that that and i am sure you can watch a whole bunch of documentaries explaining it.

>How did the human species come into being?
It's a long story. Unless you mean the origin of life. The answer is, we don't know the origin of life. This is known as abiogenesis, it is not part of evolution.