[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 286 KB, 534x721, curious.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5618060 No.5618060 [Reply] [Original]

Let's say I have an unknown differential equation that needs 2 boundary conditions. Can I use both conservation of energy AND conservation of mass. Intuition tells me no, but I can't seem to find any rigorous proof or explanation detailing why I would not correctly solve the equation.

Just a simple thought experiment, no specific equations in mind.

>> No.5618106

There is no answer without specifying something about the equation. If you are solving a dynamical equation, conservation of mass might not give you anything. Imagine imposing conservation of mass on the simple harmonic oscillator. It doesn't matter.

>> No.5618154

The fuck is happening in that periodic table?

>> No.5618278

>>5618106

Ok, fair enough. But by that argument alone you could say that conservation of mass and energy are too separate boundary conditions.

Conversely think of some sort of thermodynamic system. Conservation of mass and energy both apply. Flow rate is conserved (conservation of mass) and specific heat flux and energy must also be conserved. But are those boundary conditions separate? I don't think they are, but I can't prove it, and I can't find a proof of it.

>> No.5618288

>>5618278

two*

>> No.5618312

Someone explain that periodic table

>> No.5618366

>>5618312
>>5618154

It was posted a few months ago, the OP found it or something and was asking if it had any scientific relevance. It's based on orbitals, my chem professor had no idea what it was trying to explain. So it's probably not important, but it looks cool enough so I have it in my /sci/ folder.

>> No.5619638

>>5618366

I'd guess that it's demonstrating which fields electrons are taking through the periodic table