[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 1.11 MB, 1041x781, tree ringgg.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5613202 No.5613202 [Reply] [Original]

What do you do when it's been a week since your research proposal and you feel like changing project and supervisor?

It's only a 10 week project, but involves quite a bit of fieldwork and logistical planning. The problem is that I don't have a car, so am finding it abit hard to work out how I am going to execute my research design independently.

How do supervisors feel, if you tell them that you no longer want to do a project with them?
I'd feel kinda bad, seeing as they've already invested some time in helping me get started.

I'd preferably like to maintain a good relationship with the university staff.

>> No.5613204

how much time have you invested and how much is left

also post any other relevant info you can't give us nothing man

>> No.5613222

Well it's strictly week 1/10 right now. I've spent a couple of weeks reviewing literature and have visited a potential field site with a supervisor. Other than that, I've just started cultivating some of the insect that I'm planning to place in the field.
There hasn't been a monetary investment as such, just a morning spent at a field site collecting a sample.
The project is a dispersal experiment, so (if I want to do it properly) would involve me finding a site and setting up 3m high poles in the field to manipulate height and distance from a central source.
Conceptually its straight forward, but seems to require a lot if I want to get a decent sample size.
So the main issue is just me not being able to get around to source all the materials and get everything set up independently.
It's early enough for me to do another project. The ten weeks are spread over the year.

>> No.5613231

>>5613222
>I've just started cultivating some of the insect that I'm

stopped reading there, thought it was a worthwhile project.