[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 6 KB, 228x221, phage.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5613036 No.5613036 [Reply] [Original]

So in the UK, there's a lot of discussion about how to tackle so called superbugs such as MRSA and CRE. They lead to 25,000 deaths a year in the EU, and cost healthcare systems around 1.5Billion to deal with. My question is this. Why are we not utilising phage therapy in the west? Why are we not exploiting the natural capacity of viruses to kill off these bacteria. One hangup seems to be a negative public perception of viruses, but gene therapy uses them widely, and surely 25,000 dead people outweighs any misguided concerns. Anyone have any insight as to why phage therapy is not with us?

>> No.5613050 [DELETED] 

>>5613036
viruses arnt much better tho
sure, they might kill the bacteria, but then what kills them?

it's like your city is infested with rats, so you hire an army of flute-playing stocking-wearing faggots to chase them all out, but then who gets rid of the faggot flutists?
or the woman who ate a horse burger from tesco
and 'she's dead of course'
or something like that
and she ate a fly and a spider as well
and a lot of other shit

...i forgot where i was going with this

>> No.5613062

>>5613050

every time you post, you level of perceived retardation reaches new depths. it's truly astounding.

>> No.5613068 [DELETED] 
File: 33 KB, 484x436, 23456.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5613062
yeh, i know
damn, i should sleep or something

>> No.5613140

yes but the point is, the virus is specific for the bacteria you are targeting, it does not infect human cells, it doesn't recognise them. Potential drawbacks I can think of include: an averse host immune response to the phage capsid, the unintended killing off of 'good' bacteria in the gut etc, disrupting digestion perhaps, or allowing more pathogenic bacteria to colonise the new empty niche. But there doesn't even seem to be an acceptance of the idea in western nations, not much research has been done at all. I was wondering why really,considering these bacteria are killing off thousands a year.